End of an era.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

End of an era.

Post by Paul G »

Sorry this is a non car post.
I see today that British Airways is retiring its entire fleet of 30 Boeing 747 Jumbo jets. What a shame as this is the plane that made long haul overseas travel affordable to us all. I've flown on quite a few including BA, Qantas (who've also just grounded theirs) Singapore Airlines (my favorite), Thai, Malaysian and Continental Airlines.

I do hope BA can find somewhere to preserve one as it's been such an important plane for so long.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: End of an era.

Post by Noel »

They've been slowly replacing them with 787 or A380s as appropriate and they had been due to be gone in the next few years but CV air travel collapse has brought it forward somewhat.

BA are (well were) the biggest operator of 747s having spent big on the 400 series in the 90s.
One would look good at Duxford, I don't think theres a single preserved 747 in the UK, but as the 400s BA had used RR engines and they were the biggest customer, seems fitting to have one here.

Noel.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I don't think the A380's will last much longer either. Air France is getting rid of its whole fleet, Lufthansa the same and they just seem to be worthless secondhand.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Paul G wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:37 am I don't think the A380's will last much longer either. Air France is getting rid of its whole fleet, Lufthansa the same and they just seem to be worthless secondhand.
Mostly as they have to use Class F airfields, instead of Class E, with wider gates and taxiways.
There are only 48 of those in the world, compared to well over 200 Class E.
Consequently, the airports have them over a barrel and charge them a fortune.

Boeing have got round this with the new 777X, with the last 12' of each wing folding up.

And there is my claim to fame! First person ever to write the System Description for a folding wing system on a commercial aircraft. Ta-daa! :D
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Thats interesting, guess folding wings not used much outside naval aviation?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

You can still catch them flying for Cargolux

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Read the other day that most of BA's 31 747's will be heading here :(
https://www.cotswoldairport.com/aircraft-breaking

Been watching this company https://ecube.aero/ ........... here's the link to the show https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/plane-reclaimers