Spark plugs.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Spark plugs.

Post by Allan mcl »

This may seem like a daft question but what length should the thread be? I have been looking to change the plugs and there appears to be two different types long and short shown for a 1600 laser. I currently have the long ones fitted but can remember many years ago changing the plugs on my dad's mk4 cortina which had the short version.

Thanks Allan.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Spark plugs.

Post by Bug »

Wasn't aware of a difference tbh.
However, if you take the current long ones out and they haven't been bashed to hell by the pistons, I'd replace with the same. Fitting sorter ones will give you less securing thread and will also move the spark further up away from the middle of the cylinder.
Be sure they have the angled seat and they should be fine.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Didnt sound right to me either Wayne, I thought the tapered seat plugs only came in one lenght thread for the ohc engine ,and you wouldnt find a X flow in a laser......would you ?
Screenshot_20200713-105508.png
Mind you this sort of thing doesnt help
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:57 pm Didnt sound right to me either Wayne,
Wayne? If you mean me, it's Martin ;)

Although I do answer to anything if it's followed by "what are you drinking?" :xd:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Looking at the operating guide in the handbook pack of my Laser 1.6 it states that the O/E plugs should be Motorcraft BF22X plugs with a gap of 30 thou (0.75 mm) but according to the Year 2000 NGK catalogue I have it it recommends NGK AP6FS with a gap of 25 thou (0.6mm). Using the cross reference pages at the rear of the catalogue it says that the 2 cross over the same.

What's strange is that Ford recommend a BF32X for the two liter engine but this still cross references as the NGK AP6 FS. NGK must be a more versatile plug with a better heat range tolerance I guess.

All pinto engines plugs have a reach of 10.9 mm and there are no long or short reach alternatives.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for the replies, will go with ng plugs at 25 thou.

Cheers Allan
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 pm
Mc Tool wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:57 pm Didnt sound right to me either Wayne,
Wayne? If you mean me, it's Martin ;)

Although I do answer to anything if it's followed by "what are you drinking?" :xd:
:doh: sorry Martin , cant think of a believable excuse :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh