Garage Floor

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Garage Floor

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:26 pm
andyd wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm Nick, do you have a link for the weather strip you used and what length did you buy?
Hi Andy,

Here you go mate.

https://www.garagedoorpartsuk.co.uk/gar ... yTEALw_wcB

I just measured between the frames of my garage door and ordered the one slightly longer then cut it down with a junior hacksaw. Mine is about 3 inches past the frame but you can cut it exactly to frame and cut out a section around the frame itself depending how the door closes onto it. Very easy to cut down. Scroll down and you will see the selection of lengths they do mate The adhesive is proper good stuff too. Really grips it well. You don't really notice driving over it too either mate. Think it's about 16mm high. There are higher ones on the market too. Just put "Garage door weather strip" into Google and they will all come up. EBay do loads too but this is the company I bought from and very quick delivery with very clear instructions how to fit. I left mine about two days after fixing but 24hrs is all it needs before driving over it. Hope this helps fella :)
Thanks Nick :cheers:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm Nick, do you have a link for the weather strip you used and what length did you buy?

I'm fed up with leaves etc getting under the door :doh: Good job I haven't got a carpet or I would have to hoover rather than brush :?
I made my own, so that's an option Andy. Using strips of wood, say three inches wide by an inch or less high, you can screw it down into the concrete and run a line of silicone sealant either side (or underneath it) to give a nice tight to the floor seal. You don't really feel like you are driving over that either, especially if you round/sand the edges off. Creosote or paint it and it will be there for years, keeps loads of crud and water out.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:50 pm

I'm fed up with leaves etc getting under the door :doh: Good job I haven't got a carpet or I would have to hoover rather than brush :?
I made my own, so that's an option Andy. Using strips of wood, say three inches wide by an inch or less high, you can screw it down into the concrete and run a line of silicone sealant either side (or underneath it) to give a nice tight to the floor seal. You don't really feel like you are driving over that either, especially if you round/sand the edges off. Creosote or paint it and it will be there for years, keeps loads of crud and water out.
Hi Paul.
I had and old length of plastic quadrant beading that I added to a piece of decking board and have screwed and silicone sealed it all in place. After recent wind and rain it appears to have worked :)
IMG_20200621_130952 (2).jpg
As you say it's easy to drive over and a cheap fix too :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Superb, good one Andy, yes that looks very similar to mine actually. Except that instead of the plastic strip I have a thick bead of silicione sealant all the way along, both sides.

Just the job that, and it will be there for as long as you want it to be, permanent solution.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:07 pm Superb, good one Andy, yes that looks very similar to mine actually. Except that instead of the plastic strip I have a thick bead of silicione sealant all the way along, both sides.

Just the job that, and it will be there for as long as you want it to be, permanent solution.
Always nice to fix things for free or very little outlay Paul :cool:

I found about 3 metres of that edging strip on top of the garage roof :? Otherwise like you it would have been a bead of sealant.

Anyway must dash now, off to Dartmoor for a spin :D :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:23 am
Always nice to fix things for free or very little outlay Paul :cool:
Definitely Andy yes! And in this age of high consumerism and the ideal of just throwing money at a problem, it is very satisfying to find an alternate way to acheive the solution. Very satisfying indeed.