Stop the destruction of our passion

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Stop the destruction of our passion

Post by 80s-new-man »

Is it just me, but I cannot see anywhere that any club, organisation or whatever has initiated any petition or campaign against the idiotic scrappage plan rumoured to destroy cart loads of our 80s, 90s and even early 2000 classics.

Do we just sit here and watch that prat destroy it all?

If anyone knows any different , be glad to hear / support !
Cheers
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Stop the destruction of our passion

Post by stevemarl »

This thing?
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... el-ownerso

I wouldn`t worry too much, like last time, It won`t be mandatory and nobody with a cherished vehicle is going to scrap it for £6k: £600k I might think about it, but no less! I`m sure if you look at `How Many Left` the last scrappage scheme had very little effect on Capri numbers for eg.
Plus, As they point out, it can only be used against a new EV, so you`ve got to have the other £20k, you can`t just walk away with £6k in your pocket? Yhat`s my understanding of it.
Biggest problem in the future, I think, will be fuel. As EVs be ome dominant (as they wil) petrol stations will become further and further apart (apparently their margins are tiny now: 1/2 the ones in MCr have gone in the last decade) There needs to be a `critical mass` of petrol vehicles to support a large network, once you drop below that, filling up could become a major issue. But hey, SCS is back AND they`ve got a sale on so, you know, it`s not all bad ;)
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If anyone is stupid enough to believe that either government or car dealers are "giving" you way above what your trade in is actually worth then I am frankly gobsmacked.
What these gullible idiots fail to see is that the price has already been hiked on the car that they're being mugged for.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

The way scrappage schemes usually work is on a 50/50 basis, the only real loser is the customer. If the car costs £20,000k and you get £6000 for your old Ford Focus then the government stump up 3k and the manufacturer pay the other half, manufacturers sign up to the scheme If a car then is sold the government will earn from the sale by earning Vat over the whole £20k which means they get 4k back straight away. There is also a knock on effect that when people buy a new car they spend in other ways such as go on journeys and up spec etc - feel good factor. So the 3k they are giving you actually earns them money back. The manufacturers are happy because they sell a car £3k less profit from RRP that they were going to have to discount anyway, they always do. The old banger has scrap value that the dealer gets. Its a win win. Increases sales, protects jobs etc. The EV will happen as the national grid can cope, we use less electricity now then we did in 2002 thanks to renewable energy and other energy saving matters so Wales don't have to funnel water from reservoirs to turn turbines when we all have a cup of tea during the world Cup half tines. The only thing stopping things is infrastructure but you watch how quick it happens, remember BskyB. The customer will lose in other ways as the more EV's sold will mean the cars become cheaper so depreciation for those first buyers will be a big problem. The government will also not be penalised by not hitting targets for reducing emissions. The RS FOCUS is dead now due to manufacture across the range emission targets. Ford got rid of the RS Focus in favour of the Global big seller in Mustang which attracts more sales.

Long live suck squeeze bang blow.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Has the government got the money to subsidise this scheme considering whats going on? Is the magic money tree real then?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:55 pm Has the government got the money to subsidise this scheme considering whats going on? Is the magic money tree real then?
It's always real when "they" want it to be. For the rest of us it's just austerity.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Major Tom wrote I'm the one that leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Next time you discard the shoes can you please throw them in pairs?

I get pissed off trying to find a matching shoe whilst hopping around the road on one foot.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

STEVEW wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:51 pm
Next time you discard the shoes can you please throw them in pairs?
Bloody hell I'm not made of shoes you know. Its hard enough driving up and down the country, doing all the roads major and minor, chucking out shoes.

A mate of mine throws pairs of shoes into telegraph wires, I will put you in touch.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Bloody hell I'm not made of shoes you know. Its hard enough driving up and down the country, doing all the roads major and minor, chucking out shoes
You think you've got problems.

I'm saving up for a new throttle cable for the Capri.
I'm running it on a shoe string.