2.8i 1986 engine rebuild

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
markthetart
Car(s): 2.8i special nimbus grey

2.8i 1986 engine rebuild

Post by markthetart »

OK guys. been off here for a while. building engine due to a failing big end bearing (no3). had crank reground -.10. sp +.10 bigger mains and big end bearings. pistons and sleeves v good so just new std set rings.

My question(s) is;

should i refit the 'Fibredrive' cam gear(incase it breaks) or new aluminium ones. looks perfect cond. 60k
should i fit new oil pump & drive or get new?
standard top end gasket set or 'Reinz' head set (factory fitment)

regards and Thanks,

Mark
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: 2.8i 1986 engine rebuild

Post by Paul G »

If you want the rebuild to last get the best you can. Reinz gaskets (or Payen if you can get them), definitely new cam gear as a 34 year old one must be on borrowed time, and take the oil pimp apart and if anything is visibly badly scored or worn then renew it.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello markthetart,

I agree with Paul, a 34-year-old fibre camgear should be replaced.

I have recently replaced a fibre gear for an aluminium one because of age. (not mine: the car!)
Initially it made a noticeable "whining sound", which was expected but it has since quietened down.

Again, as Paul suggested, after having the expense and time taken to have a rebuild and not replacing the oil pump could be asking for unnecessary trouble. Plus, could it have been the oil pump that created the original problem in the first place?

All the best.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

While its good that your bores are ok ,after a bearing failure you really need to figure out why, at that low milage. Dont forget that all the oil galleries will need flushed out
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

STEVEW wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:24 am Hello markthetart,

I agree with Paul, a 34-year-old fibre camgear should be replaced.

I have recently replaced a fibre gear for an aluminium one because of age. (not mine: the car!)
Initially it made a noticeable "whining sound", which was expected but it has since quietened down.

Again, as Paul suggested, after having the expense and time taken to have a rebuild and not replacing the oil pump could be asking for unnecessary trouble. Plus, could it have been the oil pump that created the original problem in the first place?

All the best.
Those steel/aluminum gears can whine a bit but it's relatively cheap engine insurance if compared to the damage a failed cam gear can cause if it breaks up, plus they can be purchased in a set of two now, one gear for the camshaft and one for the crankshaft, I think the theory is that 2 brand new gears will whine less than one new cam gear mated with the original crankshaft gear, the set is around 190 quid - not sure how much difference it actually makes with regards to the whining though.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:xd: could be the gears being blamed for what is just normal background whining :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

I've just bought £102,88 quid for the crank and cam pulley,and 22 quid for import duties. I'm also in the process of checking my camshaft lift,a possibility the drive train could be worn,but have measured the cam lobes and they are near the specified measurements,and the lifters/tappets