Rocker arm modification?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Rocker arm modification?

Post by sierra3dr »

Hello everyone. I'm in the e process of rebuilding my eichberg turbo cologne and was wondering if anyone has modified the rocker arm tip by adding a millimetre or two of whatever metal it is, probably cast iron?
Thanks
Paul
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Rocker arm modification?

Post by stevemarl »

Are they not usually case hardened? In which case you`d need to do whatever mods (if even possible) and then find somewhere that can `re-harden` the contact surfaces. The problem would be if a tip broke off at high revs :shock: ?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Dude (read this to the wife :D ) If your even thinkin about welding a bit on to your rocker tips you NEED roller rockers . I assume this welding mod is to accomodate a bit more lift ?
Without actually knowing for sure but I would think the stock rockers are some sort of steel alloy and I guess a bit of a splatter with a hard facing welding rod (or similar ) could work with a bit of a polish.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

Hmmm... Not sure what the idea of welding to the rocker arm is, but if you're trying to increase the lift or change the rocker ratio, lengthen the rocker tips won't work. That's because the colognes rocker assembly are fixed along with the distance from the rocker pivot point to the valve centerline, increasing the rocker length will only add weight to the rocker. The only way to increase the rocker ratio is to change the pivot ratio or move the rocker assembly.
Moving the rocker assembly up or down may slightly optimize the swiping action across the valve tip.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Thankyou gents. Yes,I am aiming for a couple of mm's of extra lift. Correct Stroker,adding the extra metal to the tip won't assist in my intentions,I can see that now,because of the 0.35/0.40mm clearance. Stroker,I did see your method in full on Capripower. I couldn't see the difference,but see it now,the rocker is more closer to the valve.
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

I basically made the distance between the pushrod and the rocker shaft centerline shorter, and that has made a small change in the rocker ratio. It has moved the rocker closer to the valve center line, ideally I should really move the rocker assembly away from the valves and that would give another small increase in lift.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator

Post by sierra3dr »

:cool: