Mk1 in Dover yesterday

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Mk1 in Dover yesterday

Post by Peter-S »

Didn't get a good look as this was in front of my Aunt and I was following her. For some reason she stopped at a junction and we lost it! Anyway, an orange Mk1 and I think it ended 552J, anyone know it? Around 1.30 pm.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Mk1 in Dover yesterday

Post by Jasonmarie »

Your doing well peter your be top Capri spotter this year :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Could it have been this one?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67147237@ ... 45T-HoJL38

It's not quite orange, but you did say that you didn't get a good look at it! :lol:

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 pm Your doing well peter your be top Capri spotter this year :lol:
I seen two last week :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:04 pm Could it have been this one?

It's not quite orange, but you did say that you didn't get a good look at it! :lol:

Andrew.
If it was Peter book a eye appointment when they open :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:22 pm
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:04 pm Could it have been this one?

Andrew.
Trip to spec savers not required Jason, that's not the one. My sighting was orange and also had 3 letters at the start of the plate.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:22 pm
Yes Jason its definitely best if Peter waits till his eyes are open to book an eye appointment. :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Sorry to change the subject but I saw a lacquer red 2.8 today on Red Hill near Denham/Uxbrdige - didn't see the number plate as I only saw it last minute but think it was a C reg
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

So my cousin just randomly sent me a picture of a Capri he spotted in Dover when he was last there - the very one from my post a few weeks ago!

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have seen that mk1 as it was at Tickover in March this year , I Spotted the rear lights and asked what they were about and they are from a Datsun.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Spotted this one by beach in Sully last year, it gets about.

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

O yes that’s solved the puzzle I thought I had seen that Capri before and it was the rear lights that did it and now I remember you posting that picture up . Funny how a few of have seen it .
I wonder if it’s been on Andrews rader? :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Do you guys ever get any shit for taking pictures of strangers cars , and posting along with the date ,time and location. Maybe that's why you don't see many about ,possibly the owners fear being stalked by members of the forum . :lol: :?
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:03 pm Do you guys ever get any shit for taking pictures of strangers cars , and posting along with the date ,time and location. Maybe that's why you don't see many about ,possibly the owners fear being stalked by members of the forum . :lol: :?
No Hamish. A majority of spots will be when parked up away from home base or out on the road so not really an issue in terms of security. If someone is doing something 'untoward' then they should be a bit more discreet than using a classic car for the purpose!

Years ago my Capri was caught on my drive on Google earth and I put the picture on here. Someone said I was foolish from a security point of view but of course he couldn't identify where the picture was taken much like the one above in Dover. If by any chance you recognise the location you will already know that there is a Capri there.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Horses for courses I guess :)
I went to the limb centre yesterday , (yep , made it this time without taking anyone out :xd: ) and on the way home I saw a brown mk1 Capri ,1st Capri I have seen on the road for more than a year . I just didn't feel the need to photo it or say where I saw it on the www , and I wouldn't be that happy to see mine "spotted" and planted (time and location given ) whilst going about my (lawful) business. I would consider that a (slight ) invasion of my privacy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:36 am O yes that’s solved the puzzle I thought I had seen that Capri before and it was the rear lights that did it and now I remember you posting that picture up . Funny how a few of have seen it .
I wonder if it’s been on Andrews rader? :lol:
I've never seen this one before.
The lights are from a 1970s Nissan Cedric, by the way.
Mc Tool wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:51 am I wouldn't be that happy to see mine "spotted" and planted (time and location given ) whilst going about my (lawful) business. I would consider that a (slight ) invasion of my privacy.
At the risk of sounding like a bore......
Unfortunately, you might not like it but you wouldn't be able to do anything about it, as the photographer would also be going about their lawful business. In terms of invading privacy, taking photos of most things that can be seen from a public place is perfectly legal*.

As a carspotter who posts spots online myself, the generally accepted etiquette in the carspotting community is that it's fine to post dates and locations of spots as long as the car is not photographed at it's home address. In those situations a general location such as a town are deemed acceptable. Even then, as Peter says, and I know from experience of comments made on my photos, if anybody knows an area well enough to identify where a photo was taken, they will already know about a car that might be parked there or even seen in the local area.

*Although there are exceptions to this, for example, if a reasonable right to privacy can be expected. For example, it probably wouldn't be legal to take a photo of somebody sunbathing in their back garden.
The privacy laws might be different in NZ, you'd have to check.

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:51 am I would consider that a (slight ) invasion of my privacy.
I don't believe you have any right to privacy Hamish as you are on display to the general public.
Not because its a good picture but this image is on my blog

If I said I took it at Boulmer 3.30 last Wednesday presumably that would be Ok.
What if I panned back and a Capri was in shot? Is it then an issue? What if it was Focus instead, does that change anything?
Granted peaking over your fence for a picture is not on but a general snap from a public area is totally permissable, at least in the UK.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I remember the day I collected the RS, on the way home I called into to a Shell to fill it up with V-Power and some bloke started filming me! He just stood there in the middle of the forecourt for about 20 seconds pointing his phone at me (or more likely the car I hope!) and then proceeded to wait for me to pay, get back in the car and start it up at which point he started filming again, before following on foot across the busy forecourt. It no doubt made his day when I booted it away from the exit (barrrrp BANG :D) but in truth Fiona was encouraging me to get away as quickly as possible! :lol: It was all harmless but the guy was rather full on. At least he didn’t attempt conversation....
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I think there is a difference between someone simply being on public display and someone having persons unknown recording and posting (without the victims knowledge ) that info on the www
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:02 pm I think there is a difference between someone simply being on public display and someone having persons unknown recording and posting (without the victims knowledge ) that info on the www
I had a lady shout at me for taking photos, I tried to explain that I was on public land, but the police took her side in the end, just because I was in an apple tree with a telephoto lense, naked from the waist down in a state if furious excitement with 100 pictures of the occupied bathroom through the gap in the curtains.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.