Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 pm That exhaust seems to missing the rear silencer... :)
Is your stainless system custom made, Danny? What silencers have you specified for that system? I'm guessing just the centre box - that should sound good on the Hindhead tunnel run that you've got planned! :D

Andrew.
This is why I have a reputation for loud noises Andrew! :lol:
But yes the manifold I had made was a custom jobby, I asked them to replicate the sportex system I already have on there but in stainless steel and they did a great job on it (and made the pipework a bit bigger for extra horses! :) )

The last part will again be custom made on the day and I've just asked them to replicate what I have left there so just the one silencer - if it's too quiet I'll ask them to take that off as well!! :burnout:

Should be a sweet system when its done :beer:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Only 1 silencer :o Cripes I thought mine was loud with what I believe to be a 3" CCI exit...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Cosmicbike wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 am Only 1 silencer :o Cripes I thought mine was loud with what I believe to be a 3" CCI exit...
That's what mine was before it rusted apart as above... one middle 'kidney-box' silencer and no rear :D
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Been a while since there has been any update but in my defence I was sort of busy....
However, currently I seem to have a load of spare time on my hands! Not sure why...

Made some new heater resistors for the GL and the Laser, rebuilt the heater motor assembly with a new fan for the Laser, just waiting for the second motor to arrive for the GL and will change that one over too

Learned my lesson the first time so the second one was much easier to do and put together!

Then I pulled out the front struts and the power steering rack off the S that has been sitting in the shed for near enough a year waiting for some attention. I had started to sand it all back for paint when I took it off but only just getting round to actually painting it now!

Also I finally got around to ordered a new alloy rad for the GL. I currently have the original radiator in the car as automatic radiators seem like rocking horse shit. They have two plugs on the bottom for the gearbox to connect to and cool that as well but they aren't reproduced en-masse - step in Coolex Heat Transfer who make alloy radiators as standard, I just called and asked them to add in the auto gearbox connections I'd need and they did. Just need to make up some fresh pipes from the gearbox to the radiator now as the position is different but gives me an excuse to buy a pipe bending tool and some copper pipe and make it up myself!

Also just took in a delivery of new weather strips which I can change on the GL, and a new diff cover for the Laser which has been added to the spray pile to get a quick coat before it gets fitted.

It's all go now!! :lol: :guitar: :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Nick made me jealous with the one he bought so I did a buy....

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
That rocker cover looks the biz!
Your struts look good too, what paint did you use?

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Dan great job there yes always good to blame nick we all do :lol: :lol: must say them rocker covers are good :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm Hi Danny,

Andrew.
It is very shiny, can't wait to put it on!

To be fair, I only used Hammerite smooth black and smooth blue on the struts - I figured that I could get a nice enough finish considering that no one is ever really going to see it anyway, and should hopefully protect it all from rust as well (hopefully!)
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm Dan great job there yes always good to blame nick we all do :lol: :lol: must say them rocker covers are good :cool:
Glad it's not just me then Jason - he's made me jealous and got me buying that blue dizzy cap as well :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

D366Y wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 am
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm Hi Danny,

Andrew.
It is very shiny, can't wait to put it on!

To be fair, I only used Hammerite smooth black and smooth blue on the struts - I figured that I could get a nice enough finish considering that no one is ever really going to see it anyway, and should hopefully protect it all from rust as well (hopefully!)
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm Dan great job there yes always good to blame nick we all do :lol: :lol: must say them rocker covers are good :cool:
Glad it's not just me then Jason - he's made me jealous and got me buying that blue dizzy cap as well :lol:
There’s a new secret web site started last year called www.iparknexttonick.com there’s a weekly therapy group where it’s ok to cry and mention how shiny his engine bay is :lol: .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 pm Nick made me jealous with the one he bought so I did a buy....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great work you are doin on your Capris Danny. Love this rocker cover mate. Looks stunning. They do great covers don't they. I moved mine from my 'secret' hiding place in my wardrobe down to my garage this week so it's getting closer to being fitted :lol: Your one will look great once fitted as will the blue distributor cap :)

I was gonna fit my custom cover but other things have cropped up and anyway as I will be leaving B112 in to Tickover soon as part of the 'after service' to check torques and valves on the head I might as well get them to fit it then. No point fitting myself now only to remove it again.;)

Cant wait to see yours fitted Danny. They really are great quality ain't they. You will prob fit yours before mine now :lol:
Jasonmarie wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:14 pmThere’s a new secret web site started last year called www.iparknexttonick.com there’s a weekly therapy group where it’s ok to cry and mention how shiny his engine bay is :lol: .
:wave: :applaud: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Too right Nick!! As soon as the new gasket comes it's going straight on!! can't believe you've manage to wait to fit yours - it looks too good!! :lol:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Another busy Monday at work... :whistle:

Got the new rocker that Paul G kindly donated to me sprayed up last week and fitted today to the GL - also treated her to some new HT leads as the old ones were a mix-match of old leads and none of them matched :lol:
Noticed while I was putting it all back together that the mixture screw and spring seem to have ejected from the carb though :? will have to find a new one of those - explains why it was running a bit funny!!

Also, got the new shiny rocker cover all sorted on the laser! :heart:

I love the look and think it suits it a treat - the blue dizzy cap and HT lead clips can also been seen!
Stupidly, I said to myself how well it was all going and how I'd managed to take the old ones off and put these new ones on inside the space of 2hours... Shock horror, the next thing, while I was doing the very last bolt up before I shut the bonnet....

Needless to say that cheesed me off somewhat. :banghead: :banghead:
Typical Danny move!

At least it sticks out quite a bit so I'll be able to get it out when I take the rocker cover off again :doh:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Rocker cover looks rather better than when I passed it on to you!

You probably would get the mixture screw and spring from Webcon.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm Rocker cover looks rather better than when I passed it on to you!

You probably would get the mixture screw and spring from Webcon.
Thanks Paul - Spent that afternoon sanding it back and spraying it and it's come up really nicely and fits a treat. Thanks again!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
The Laser engine looks amazing. That new rocker cover looks brilliant and those other blue bits really stand out!

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:49 pm Hi Danny,
The Laser engine looks amazing. That new rocker cover looks brilliant and those other blue bits really stand out!

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew - she's coming together nicely! Just need to start polishing the engine bay to Nick standards now :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Is there a new blue look going on with the lasers ? :lol: :lol:
Can’t believe the bolt broke , is that the bolts that were sent with the rocker ?
Does look really nice Dan
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Considering the low torque setting of the rocker cover bolts*, I can't imagine that the bolt snapped when you were tightening it to the specified torque. Was it putting up a fight when it was going in? Would it be an idea, once you remove the remains of the old bolt, to clean up the thread with a tap? That should also remove any debris/rust that may be restricting the movement of the bolt.
Another thing to check is the bolt bottoming out in the hole? I doubt it as the other bolts went in OK, but it's worth checking that the new bolts are the same length as the bolts that you took out. Is the flange on the new rocker the same thickness as on the old one? As I say, the bolt should easily withstand the torque involved in holding on the rocker cover. It's only about 10 NM on the Cologne rocker covers, I imagine it's about the same for the Pinto?

:goodluck:
Andrew.

* In case anybody feels they have to mention it, yes, I know it looks like a set screw.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Blue is the new "in thing" for Lasers Jason - get involved! :lol:

Yes they were the screws that came with the cover, and I probably did over do it a bit - I was using my 1/2 inch torque wrench which was too big really (you can barely feel the click when it gets to torque on small settings) as my 1/4 inch torque wrench was indoors and I couldn't be bothered to walk all that way to get it....

When I take it out I think I will clean up all the thread and things though - I recently found a whole set of taps and die in the garage so can make use of those.
I think the flange on the new rocker cover is actually a narrow one rather than a wide one... I didn't measure it but I ordered a new wider gasket assuming that it would be a wide flange, but I can see a couple of mm of gasket sticking out from under the rocker cover so next time I'll buy a narrow gasket and see if that is better I guess....??

I think the torque for a pinto cover (off the top of my head) is only 5-6 NM! No one to blame but me on ballsing that one up :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Easy done Dan , my screen wash is blue does that count :lol: :lol: nick only went blue as it’s something to do with his favourite films :lol: :lol: :lol: