2.8 clutch

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Pageyboy
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 special (restoration project)

2.8 clutch

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi guys hope your all keeping well.
I have a problem with my 2.8 clutch. I have just replaced clutch and cable and I’m struggling to get the clutch to adjust properly. If I adjust the cable right up as far as it will go I get a pedal and can engage gears but not the best and it bites almost immediately. Is there any other adjustment for this ? I have been having g a few problems with it hence why new clutch and 2 new cables have been fitted. Any help greatly appreciated.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: 2.8 clutch

Post by Caprigear »

What brand of clutch did you fit? There is only one adjustment on the cable, at the point where it goes through the bellhousing. There is a nylon bush that fits in the bellhousing, the cable goes through it, is the bush in your bellhousing?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Top of clutch pedal broken/cracked where cable attaches ?
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Ye the plastic bush is in the bit at the bell housing where cable goes through. Clutch was a luk but the clutch before was original 1 hence why I thought it was possibly the clutch. Top of clutch pedal looks fine and plastic clip fits tight that holds cable on. I was reading a post that says there is a bush that is braised to the pivot bar that can come loose on the pedal box causing the clutch to drag but I’m not sure if it was the same system on my car. Surely if it was gearbox it wouldn’t adjust up at all but it is like it needs more adjustment. Cheers for reply’s
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

LUK is a good brand of clutch. Is there a possibility that the friction plate has been fitted the wrong way round, it is usually marked up flywheel side so you don't fit it incorrectly but not always.
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

I never fitted it but guy who did knows his stuff it was the same problem with the clutch I took out so wouldn’t think it’s wrong way round. Clutch does work but only when adjusted right up and by that I mean not threads left where they come through the bush and bite basically on the floor. Definitely dragging I’d say
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Car was in had a respray and when I got it back I went to move it and when I brought up clutch I heard a ping like a spring snapping or cable breaking. So I changed cable and it was fine but then on my last outing last year I struggled to get a gear so adjusted the cable up a bit and the car drive home no problem 70 mile. Parked it up as it was last show then when i went to get car out of storage after winter I couldn’t get a gear so I adjusted it right up and again I got a pedal and drove it to get new clutch fitted. Guy who fitted new 1 struggled to get the pedal right and said he thought it was the after market cable so I bought a new 1 and fitted it but it’s definitely just the same. Low bite and cable adjusted to max.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi there,

I'm not 100% positive about this one. But I've heard horror stories where the incorrect 'Thrust Bearings' have been fitted, wrong depth / thickness. So the fork does not push on these when it should... If you've been suffering with these problems for a while, when the guy fitted the new clutch, he could have matched the Thrust Bearings to the already incorrect one??? Or just been supplied the wrong one as well??? Hope you mange to get this sorted though, best of luck!!! Cheers,

John...
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I had something similar happen many years ago, turned out the fork had somehow pinged off its retainer at the pivot point.
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Ye it was matching clutch and 3 piece all brand new luk. I’m thinking and I’m no mechanic but could it be the pedal box being slightly out of line ? The reason I’m on this is when car was stripped down and in paint shop they removed the 2 bolts on the top plate on bulk head just above where servo is. When I got car back these hadn’t been replaced but I had no clue as to what they were but they since had bolts put in them and sealed due to water getting in. Today I went out stripped sash out so I could get a look at the top of the pedal box and it looks like it’s slightly out of line on the left hand side if you look through where clocks would be. There is 2 bolts going through with only the right hand 1 having a nut on it.
Hope this makes sense
2 things I noticed that on the left hand side rail let’s call it there is a grove and it looks like the bulk head should be level with this indent. I no it’s not a lot out but could it be pulling cable squint causing the pedal the run out of line. Strange 1 I no and I might be clutching at straws but if clutch all fitted correctly and I believe it is cable on correct and new what else could cause this.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Even with those two bolts not fitted the pedal box is still held with two behind the servo and two more on the interior bulkhead so I would be surprised if the pedal box has moved.
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Ye I no and it is solid just strange. Maybe it’s the box itself.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Has the clutch fork been changed at any time - they are not all the same
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Was this a problem with the original clutch or has it appeared since the replacement was fitted?
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Hi. Ye I was having problems with the original clutch and thought it was on its way out but I have had it replaced. And to be honest it’s probably worse now especially the biting point. I have been rained off today but hopefully get back to it tomorrow.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello Pageyboy.

As Caprigear says there should be a nylon bush slotted into the bellhousing.

I had a similar problem as you with a Cologne V6.
As you’ve got a 2.8i you probably have the same set up as our Cologne 2.3 that is, the single locking nut retained in the hexagon end of a nylon bush.
If so, it’s easy to adjust. (It’s easier with two people)
Special tools: A suitable short block of wood – selected by trial and error.

This is the method I used with my son.

1. The car was raised.
2. The rectangular end of the lever boot was carefully prised out of the bellhousing then, my son pressed the clutch pedal down.
3. The wood was inserted between the bell housing and the lever jamming it so it didn’t spring back.
4. My son was now able to turn the locknut with his fingers. This could be done from the engine bay. (A 2.3 may have more room than a 2.8i)
5. Once we thought it was OK the wood was removed and the nipple was checked for correct location in the lever.
6. The car was dropped and the biting point checked.
7. Points 1- 6 were repeated until we were satisfied.
8. Finally, the lever boot was relocated.

This method should prevent any damage occurring to the hexagon end of the nylon bush.

All the best.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Not sure about this but are the clutch cables the same for all Mk 3 model's?

Year's ago I fitted a new clutch in a Essex engined Capri and a brand new clutch cable whilst I was at it, thing is the new cable was for a 1.6/2.0 Laser and if memory serves I had to adjust the cable along way up just to select gears and I remember thinking this can't be right for a new clutch, just can't remember if I changed the cable or just lived with it.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Pageyboy

Post by Pageyboy »

Cheers guys so little update for you. So after fiddling with pedal box and making sure all nuts and bolts were tight it didn’t make a bit of difference. So I took cable off again and tried to route it behind the engine mount but it just wouldn’t fit to short. So it’s now in front. I tried to tighten cable up with clutch pedal down a bit but again didn’t make any difference. I do however feel it’s the cable because once it’s right up and I mean the threads nearly out the plastic grommet I do get a clutch. Any help with route of cable or cable length needed would be really helpful. A good genuine cable might be the answer I think. Thoughts on this very much appreciated.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Any luck with this issue?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mr B wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:26 pm Any luck with this issue?

Wayne
For some reason he started a separate thread regarding the clutch cable.
The saga continues over there ;)