Relay and generator recce

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Relay and generator recce

Post by Owent2005 »

Continuing with my electrickery adventure, after spending a long time on google with no joy could someone please let me know: what these relays are for (they’re situated above the bonnet release catch next to the flasher unit) as far as I can tell from Haynes the red one is the washer pump and I’m not sure about the black one.
Also, what make alternator is this as again Haynes isn’t that clear and should there be a third connection on the middle terminal?
TIA,

Owen
Attachments
B93884E7-57E3-4FBD-A4B1-A5D737F89DC8.jpeg
B3E63A2F-D20E-400A-B8E6-F4BDD0CBE9E9.jpeg
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Relay and generator recce

Post by stevemarl »

Red one is intermittent wiper, black one is heated rear screen. Looks like a Bosch alternator and it should have a multipin plug, (with as you suspected, 3 terminals) not just a couple of spade connectors. That`s pathetic, I mean WHY would you get rid of the proper plug???? Glad I`m not having to sort this all out, good luck!
Owent2005

Re: Relay and alternator recce

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks for the info. Just realised I'd typed generator instead of alternator, too many dash removal celebration beers! I will add the mutiplug to the growing list of parts required!
I don't suppose anyone has access to better wiring diagrams that what can be found in Haynes?

Owen
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Personally I always find these wiring diagrams much more user friendly, not sure if they have absolutely everything in them as I've not checked every single one but I would expect it to?

http://www.a400mod.com/Fuses.htm

The alternator doesn't have another connection in the middle either, I think it's just a spare?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 am The alternator doesn't have another connection in the middle either, I think it's just a spare?
If you have the correct plug and loom it DOES have 3 wires:

(Although pins 1 & 2 are linked so it could be made to work with just one, but as standard, nope all 3 are used.)
You`re right about the diagrams Danny, although MUCH easier to understand and useful from that point, just looking at the batt circuit and the Alternator only has a connection to battery, but no mention of blue wire to the Ign bulb or indeed the bulb itself (unless I`ve missed it). Plus, a lot of the colour codes are missing and if you`re looking at, say, the ignition switch with 8 wires emerging- you DO need the colours. Although to be fair he`s done a bloody good job in many respects, spent a lot of time which is brilliant, and if you put ALL the info in, it`d just become Haynes 2.0. Yer pays yer money... Thanks to Clockwok Orange`s efforts you do have a choice
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:12 am
D366Y wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 am The alternator doesn't have another connection in the middle either, I think it's just a spare?
If you have the correct plug and loom it DOES have 3 wires:

(Although pins 1 & 2 are linked so it could be made to work with just one, but as standard, nope all 3 are used.)
You`re right about the diagrams Danny, although MUCH easier to understand and useful from that point, just looking at the batt circuit and the Alternator only has a connection to battery, but no mention of blue wire to the Ign bulb or indeed the bulb itself (unless I`ve missed it). Plus, a lot of the colour codes are missing and if you`re looking at, say, the ignition switch with 8 wires emerging- you DO need the colours. Although to be fair he`s done a bloody good job in many respects, spent a lot of time which is brilliant, and if you put ALL the info in, it`d just become Haynes 2.0. Yer pays yer money... Thanks to Clockwok Orange`s efforts you do have a choice
Well, you learn something new everyday then! :lol: Never knew that all three were being used but fair enough!

And I know what you mean about the diagrams - they aren't completely perfect but if you did that you would end up with exactly what Haynes have done anyway. For a simpler view I find these diagrams much easier to use.
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

I might have a plug with some wire attached at home if you need ones. I'll look tonight, send me a reminder on if your after it
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

I might have a plug with some wire attached at home if you need ones. I'll look tonight, send me a reminder on if your after it
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

mgentry90 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm I might have a plug with some wire attached at home if you need ones. I'll look tonight, send me a reminder on if your after it
That would be great, thanks
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

This seems to be the best solution:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-Univer ... SwGPxaKl21
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Hi, update to my alternator connections; I bought one of the plugs off eBay and it fitted fine. I now have a fully functioning alternator so thanks for the pointers.
Owen
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

That`s good! Thanks for the update.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »