Alternator Connection’s

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Alternator Connection’s

Post by Owent2005 »

Happy Sunday everyone!

Today I’m researching work for next week. I’m undergoing a fairly large overhaul of the cars electrical system and have found that the alternator has only 2 connections instead of 3. The yellow is the positive, the blue disappears behind the dash where it is joined with three others then routes back into the engine bay (I will find its final destination tomorrow). Could someone shed light on the Haynes schematic, I read it as one to the battery, one to the ignition and the third to the instrument panel but not that sure. Also does anyone know what these black symbols highlighted are and the relevance of which way round they are? I’ve emailed Haynes but have had no reply.
Thanks,
Owen
Attachments
7648F85E-2760-4588-A8BF-58D75BF89ECB.jpeg
B3B01C1E-E6AE-41F6-98CA-35157B2C82F5.jpeg
DF650298-99B7-441D-93A1-233B1BBF6B6B.jpeg
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Alternator Connection’s

Post by stevemarl »

Owent2005 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 am does anyone know what these black symbols highlighted are
They represent plug in connections, sort of male into female, those 3 I`m assuming will be the multiplug that should go in the back of the alt. Blue wire to the cluster will be the ignition lamp feed referred to earlier. Is it actually blue in your car, or are you going off the `bl` in schematic?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Just had another look at the second pic and I have to say, it is totally shite!!! It`s basically showing 2 alternators wired in circuit, one with an internal electronic regulator and another next to it with some kind of external mechanical regulator (like they had in the 1950s) - but they`re not shown as options (inset for eg) they are shown as both being in circuit - even links connecting them together! I`ve a fair idea how it works and I had to think what it was supposed to represent. It`s showing all options AS IF they were actually fitted... together. Confusing or what?
Basically the whole of items 15 and 16 are irrelevant to you and you could tippex them out, and obviously the wiring to them too. You have one like No20, with an inbuilt reg, so try to follow that. (If you look at the whole affair there are only 3 wires which leave that area, one to Batt +, one to Ign switch, and one to the Ign bulb.)
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks again Steve!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Im pretty sure the idea with the extra alt(s) in the diagram is because not all cars had the bosch alt , mine is lucas (the internaly rect and reg one in diagram ) and I think some had a femsa alt, maybe diff spec for diff countries , but you basically ignore the bits of the diagram you dont have in your car ,or as you say ,tipex it out. They dont always have the various options actually shown as wired in together. Ha ,if youd bought the manual to learn about electric stuff youd have to already know enough electric stuff to know how to identify the part you want to know electric stuff about so thered be no stuffing about :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

If Vehicle Wiring Products are still online and in business, they used to supply the correct snap-together fittings for the alternator plugs. Simply connect your wires into the plug, then fold it shut.
In fact, they used to do EVERYTHING you may need.

EDIT: Just looked and they are: https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/

Send off for their catalogue. Hours of fun finding stuff you didn't know you needed! :D
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:15 pm not all cars had the bosch alt , mine is lucas (the internaly rect and reg one in diagram ) and I think some had a femsa alt, maybe diff spec for diff countries , but you basically ignore the bits of the diagram you dont have in your car ,or as you say ,tipex it out.
You know that Hamish, and I know that, but if you weren`t at all familiar with schematics it does make it look overwhelmingly complex. It would, I think, have been better to show just one actually in circuit and have an inset diagram in the corner showing the alternative option. I`m sure they`ve done that in other situations?
Just out of interest, the Bosch which they show with (what I imagine to be) some sort of external elecrto mechanical regulator, a la dynamo, - were they ever fitted to Capri, as my brothers 1970 Mk1 I`m sure was self-contained? I think our Mk2 Cortina may have had one.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Bug wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:04 am If Vehicle Wiring Products are still online and in business, they used to supply the correct snap-together fittings for the alternator plugs. Simply connect your wires into the plug, then fold it shut.
In fact, they used to do EVERYTHING you may need.

EDIT: Just looked and they are: https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/

Send off for their catalogue. Hours of fun finding stuff you didn't know you needed! :D
Well that's just great. Just what I needed - a great website with loads of stuff I can easily spend my money on and convince myself I need.... Time to get the wallet out then! :D
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

This looks like just the job, £3.90!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-Univer ... SwGPxaKl21
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Morning,
I used the connector off eBay and now have a fully functioning alternator. Thanks for the tips.
Owen