Heat Guns

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Heat Guns

Post by pbar »

Our friend Aldi have heat guns in at the moment, 2000W for just £9.99

Worth a buy do we think? Not sure what I'd use one for but for some reason it seems to be one of those tools which I will find uses for and found I couldn't live without it, once I have it!

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Heat Guns

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I agree I do use one of these for clock springs also wooden case if the case is cracked . Good price as well .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've just bought one!
Was looking at one ages ago but never bought one, perfect excuse to buy one :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

At that price, you can't not buy one! They won't be top quality gear of course, but they will I'm sure be good enough for light duty use at home. I picked up a set of bolt extractors on sale for a tenner that was posted on another forum - just because of the price being so good - worked a dream when I had a job on with a rounded bolt on the other car.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the replies, I picked one up today also. Can't wait to find some tasks for it. Aldi's tools really are excellent.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,

These are great tools and any one doing any wiring in their Capri should own one!!! I've just re-placed a few of my speaker cables going into the front doors, which had corroded inside the doors. We use these at work too.

Strip the ends of the wires you are going to join, cut a length of 'heat shrink' to cover the join and approx 10mm either side of the join, slide the heat shrink on to one of the wires, solder (Fully leaded solder, not that awful un-leaded solder...) the wires together in a straight line, slide the heat shrink over the join and using the heat gun, shrink the sleeve down to make a solid, strong join. The join is usually just a bit thinner than the wire... And as its soldered together, will last a long time and with this heat shrink, its sealed from the elements too... this is a much better system than the usual 'crimps' or twisting together...

Use this stuff, it even glues to the cable to help hold....

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ctfc- ... t%20shrink

This is 3mm, which will shrink down to 1mm, so you just chose the size to match the wire your joining...

Sorry if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs, but this wasn't mentioned yet.... best of luck and great find by the way, I'll be seeing about getting one of these too, the Bosch ones cost a small fortune!!! Cheers,

John...
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

For that price it’s probably worth a go, if it doesn’t work or goes pop straight away you should be able to exchange it easily enough (or get a refund). All I’d say is don’t expect much, and for £25 you can get an Earlex one from Screwfix....
pbar

Post by pbar »

mjcapri wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am if it doesn’t work or goes pop straight away you should be able to exchange it
I wouldn't worry, it comes with a whopping 3 year guarantee. Like most Aldi tools, it is far better than you might think, seems like a very decent piece of kit. Comes with several accessories too.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

pbar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:57 pm
mjcapri wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am if it doesn’t work or goes pop straight away you should be able to exchange it
I wouldn't worry, it comes with a whopping 3 year guarantee. Like most Aldi tools, it is far better than you might think, seems like a very decent piece of kit. Comes with several accessories too.
Yes that’s the good thing about them, long guarantee and you can easily return them. To be fair, for occasional DIY use they’re probably ok but there’s a reason they’re a tenth of the price of a Makita or Bosch.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Honestly, you should have a better opinion of aldi tools, I've bought stuff which is better than comparable items from the expensive names such as Bosch.

A cordless hammer drill I got for example, is far better than any named similar one I have tried. I was that impressed and it was such good value that I bought another just to have a second battery.

Martin at CapriGear also rates aldi workzone tools, and he has a qualified opinion.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I mean for a tenner what have you got to use? I'm sure the branded stuff has it's values if you use it all day everyday but for us at-home project-car DIY-ers I'm sure it will do me fine... If not, I'll get my money back in the next three years if it fails in the three times I use it in that period :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

pbar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:50 pm Honestly, you should have a better opinion of aldi tools, I've bought stuff which is better than comparable items from the expensive names such as Bosch.

A cordless hammer drill I got for example, is far better than any named similar one I have tried. I was that impressed and it was such good value that I bought another just to have a second battery.

Martin at CapriGear also rates aldi workzone tools, and he has a qualified opinion.
I’ll check them out if I go to Aldi as some of the power tools look good for the price. To be fair I find the green Bosch range to be utter rubbish, this stuff is most likely better value for money. Ryobi isn’t much good either in my experience. I’ll give the hand tools a miss though, having done a few years on the tools I like my branded chrome too much!
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

D366Y wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm I mean for a tenner what have you got to use? I'm sure the branded stuff has it's values if you use it all day everyday but for us at-home project-car DIY-ers I'm sure it will do me fine... If not, I'll get my money back in the next three years if it fails in the three times I use it in that period :lol:
Agreed you’ve nothing to lose, it’s a tenner and has a 3 year guarantee. I’ll be impressed if it is actually ok as heat guns are notoriously temperamental, I went through several £30(ish)ones before I bit the bullet and bought a good one. But that was using them for long periods of time, mostly doing curtain sider repairs, a job I hated at the best of times.

My mate has a Steinel (spelling?) one in his workshop, it’s so good I’ve used it to release seized nuts and bolts, and even a front hub off my old red ST which was stuck on the driveshaft splines (puller wouldn’t touch it). Saves stopping the actual workers to borrow the oxy acetylene gear! :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

If anyyone`s interested they have a cordless angle grinder in at the moment whichn looks useful, forgot to check price though - Doh!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm If anyyone`s interested they have a cordless angle grinder in at the moment whichn looks useful, forgot to check price though - Doh!
Do you mean this one??

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-40v-cordl ... 7346471400
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Yep, that`s the one. Wherever I`d use a grinder I have power so not really for me but I can see it has potential.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

The prices for the bare tools are crazy!

Angle grinders are a bit like die grinders, sanders etc. in that if I’m using one it will be near a mains supply and probably for a prolonged period of time so I’ve never gone down the cordless route. They’re obviously good of you need to take one out and about though. I have a Makita cordless hedge trimmer and it’s probably the best tool vs corded I’ve ever bought, not that I’ve ever used it myself! :lol: