Indicator/horn stork no longer working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Indicator/horn stork no longer working

Post by Owent2005 »

Afternoon, hope everyone is well

My indicators and horn have stopped working (along with the rev counter). The horn wire has continuity from the stork to where it connects to the horn but no voltage when operated. I’m guessing that power isn’t getting to the stork (if that’s a thing)? I’m in the process of tracing all the wiring but it’s a bit of a mess.

Does anyone have any pointers or come across this before?

TIA,

Owen
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Indicator/horn stork no longer working

Post by D366Y »

I think this is a relatively common issue caused by the stalk just being broken... I had a similar issue before and replaced the stalk and it solved the problem but I knew before that the wiring worked before.

I think it has something to do with the metal casing around the bottom of the stalk cracking which causes the issue?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Cheers Danny,

Ive managed to get the horn working after basically stripping cleaning and rebuilding all the parts. The main beam also works from the stalk so I'm suspecting a nipped earth or dodgy connection somewhere. I start on the indicators today so fingers crossed.

Im not sure if its connected, but my rev counter, fuel gauge and eng temp aren't working, I'm wondering if theres a common earth that might be dodgy? I have the Haynes manual but the schematics aren't great!

Owen
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Owent2005 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 am Cheers Danny,

Ive managed to get the horn working after basically stripping cleaning and rebuilding all the parts. The main beam also works from the stalk so I'm suspecting a nipped earth or dodgy connection somewhere. I start on the indicators today so fingers crossed.

Im not sure if its connected, but my rev counter, fuel gauge and eng temp aren't working, I'm wondering if theres a common earth that might be dodgy? I have the Haynes manual but the schematics aren't great!

Owen
Have you been up behind the instrument cluster?
That sounds as though it could be something as simple as the multiplug being slightly disturbed?
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Is the multi plug the Flasher Unit? And is this the flasher unit in the picture? I traced the wires to it and was going to ask how I can check that it’s serviceable.

Thanks

Owen
Attachments
34230D15-40A5-41E2-A9D8-27CEE2CE88C5.jpeg
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Owent2005 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm Is the multi plug the Flasher Unit?
Hi Owen,
The multiplug that Bug is referring to is the one that plugs into the back of the instrument binnacle.

As I'm sure you know, the flasher unit is simply a 3 pin relay and a replacement is freely available.
Alternatively, there is this modern replacement:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-Upgrad ... Sw1EJc7FY3
You should be able to test your existing unit to see if it works properly.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 am he flasher unit is simply a 3 pin relay and a replacement is freely available.
Just for absolute clarity, the flasher is not a simple relay as such, it does contain the circuit which causes flashing (via an onboard relay). Just in case the OP tried to test by substituting a conventional SPST relay?

If anyone`s interested?
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks guys,

Ive tested the relay (which looks like the one in your picture steve) and when i put power to it, the relay, I think, is staying on as the test light stays on, (Im not sure if its going really quickly due to there being no resistance to the circuit) and the relay makes a constant tone.

With power connected should the relay be clicking on and off?

Thanks,

Owen
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Owen,
I can`t remember, but AFAIK although electronic it still flashes quicker if a bulb blows (I think deliberate design) which means if you`re testing it without a load it may just stay on, or just oscillate - the buzzing from the relay? I can botch together a circuit later this afternoon to see how it works with/without load.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

stevemarl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:03 pm Owen,
I can`t remember, but AFAIK although electronic it still flashes quicker if a bulb blows (I think deliberate design) which means if you`re testing it without a load it may just stay on, or just oscillate - the buzzing from the relay? I can botch together a circuit later this afternoon to see how it works with/without load.
That would be great if you could Steve thanks
Bug

Post by Bug »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 am
Owent2005 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 pm Is the multi plug the Flasher Unit?
Hi Owen,
The multiplug that Bug is referring to is the one that plugs into the back of the instrument binnacle.

As I'm sure you know, the flasher unit is simply a 3 pin relay and a replacement is freely available.
Alternatively, there is this modern replacement:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-Upgrad ... Sw1EJc7FY3
You should be able to test your existing unit to see if it works properly.

Andrew.
Sorry, yes. To clarify, I was addressing your issue with the possible common earth fault on your gauges.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Owent2005 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:55 am (Im not sure if its going really quickly due to there being no resistance to the circuit) and the relay makes a constant tone.
Turns out you`re very nearly spot on, except no current rather than no resistance. I`ve run one this afto and with a 21w bulb it flashes fairly rapidly: with the correct load (2x 21w) it flashes normally. witha a 5w bulb it flashes so fast the relay is just vibrating (buzzing!) so fast the light appears constant. There`s a very low value resistor in series and the voltage drop across this triggers the switching, presumably to retain the change in speed to warn you of bulb failure even though it`s now an electronic device not bi-metallic strip. Circuit to test is:
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

That’s great Steve thanks. I was thinking the relay was fine and your test confirms this.
As you’ve seen from my other posts I’ve a few gremlins to get through. Could the issue of the indicators/hazards not working have anything to do with the lack of gauges working on the instrument panel as according to Haynes one the wires goes to the indicator flasher. Or could it be to do with the system not charging properly?

Thanks,

Owen
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I think it`s more likely to be the multiplug on the instrument cluster as others have suggested, as the whole of the cluster is powered and earthed through this one plug. Probably just needs to be unplugged, spray of switch cleaner, or wd40, and pushhed in & out a couple of times. (the wire you`re talking about is probably just going IN to the green turn warning light?)
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Ok thanks, the instrument panel is hopefully coming out tomorrow so I’ll let you know how I get on.
I guess I’ll keep tracing wires to get to the bottom of the hazards/indicators!
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Good morning,
Ive almost finished with the electrics (for now) so am trying to cap all of my Q&A's. What i found when I delved deeper into the horn and indicator issue is that I wasn't getting 14v when the engine was running due to some dodgy alternator connections. I found this out after taking the car for a longish drive the horn suddenly started working, i.e it had its 14v which it didn't when sitting at idle just after being started. Once connected properly (there was no alternator to PCB connection) both indicators/hazards and horn have been fine. Thanks for the pointers.
Owen
DBSV8
Car(s): Ford capri mk1 cologne 3000 work in progress engine out
Ford Capri mk2 3000 daily driver but need a few parts to finish off

Post by DBSV8 »

great thread , im about to have a look at mine my front and read indicators light up but don't flash , horn doesn't work and I've now lost full beam , only dipped beam .

guessing by the thread the flasher relay is the cause , power must be getting to them for them to illuminate
Bug

Post by Bug »

As there are several relays under the dash, for clarity, the one you need is the one with 'blinkgeber' written on it.
I guess it means 'goes blink' or 'gives a blink' in German? :D