Mk1 Capri Handbrake gaiter

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
brush46
Car(s): 1600 GT XLR

Mk1 Capri Handbrake gaiter

Post by brush46 »

Hi
Could anyone please advise how to remove the plastic handbrake grip, as i wish to replace the gaiter. I have tried to tap it off carefully,but no success.
Probably stuck on over time.
Thanks
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Mk1 Capri Handbrake gaiter

Post by Caprigear »

On the mk2/3 the gaiter has a press stud that unclips so you can open up the gaiter and slide it over the handbrake grip, does the MK1 not have it? It is usually on the underside of the gaiter so isn't clearly seen.
brush46

Post by brush46 »

Hi
Thanks for the swift reply. Unfortunately the Mk 1 gaiter does not have the press stud as the Mk 2. The diameter of the gaiter access is the same as the handbrake shaft itself, therefore the grip has to be removed, in order to remove the gaiter. I am sure the grip should slide off somehow.

Cheers

Geoff
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:xd: if you dont have a mk1 capri handbrake grip puller you could try pouring boiling water on it :lol:
Seriously , a bit of heat from a heat gun or even use your hairdryer to warm the grip up a bit will help get it off......and dont slam your elbow into the dash when it comes off.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
brush46

Post by brush46 »

Thanks very much, that's a good idea i'll give it a try!