MOT's extended for six months

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: MOT's extended for six months

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:20 pm My question is can you get the new mot done ANY time in the extended six months or do you have to wait to be told the earliest you can do it which will be at the other end of the extended period ???
Nick,
No, you don't have to wait, you can MOT a car any time you like (except after 5 as the garages will be closed :lol: ) and it will run for 12 months from that date. The exception being if take your car for an MOT up to a month before the old MOT expires, then it will run from 12 months from the expiry of the old MOT.

Andrew.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Mine ran out on the 27th so luckily i had booked it in on that day to get it tested. I doubt i would have gotten away with the extra 6 months extension.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

We have a similar thing here. :) I have 2 cars in use at the mo , Caldina has near new tires but no mot ( only just expired ) but is in fine condition safety wise. The Blade has a current mot but the rear tires are down to the wear limit ,front tires are near new........which car do I drive ?
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
DBSV8
Car(s): Ford capri mk1 cologne 3000 work in progress engine out
Ford Capri mk2 3000 daily driver but need a few parts to finish off

Post by DBSV8 »

just got the capri going again ,been off the road for two years

now heres the dilemma , its a 1977 3 litre on SORN which means its eligible for no TAX or MOT ,,,,, but heres the rub

i have filled in form V12 , which must be sent to DVLA with V5 doc to change from PLG to historic class .....but DVLA are not accepting paper work during the crisis , states very clearly on the web

so no way of completing this on line ..... can tax the car but then it would trigger ANPR as a SORN
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

My stepdad went and filled in the MOT exemption form and dropped it into the Post Office last week and now it's sorted?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:15 am My stepdad went and filled in the MOT exemption form and dropped it into the Post Office last week and now it's sorted?
You did that thing where someone says a statement like its a question, but in text form!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 am
D366Y wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:15 am My stepdad went and filled in the MOT exemption form and dropped it into the Post Office last week and now it's sorted?
You did that thing where someone says a statement like its a question, but in text form!
I'm pretty impressive like that? :lol:
I mean, he tells me it's sorted but trust him as much as I like him :lol: Don't take it as gospel basically haha
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 am
I didn't realise Danny was an Aussie ? (see what I did there?) :xd:

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Just spoke to an MOT testing station, and they confirmed you can drive to and from a pre booked MOT test if your vehicle has or hasn't got a current MOT without taxing it!

They told me someone bought a Campervan in Germany and when stopped on the M3 he told Police he was driving it back to Exeter for a pre booked MOT and was told ok that's fine.

Have asked my local garage to call me when they are back to work to do new MOT and some other jobs I've been waiting for :cool:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Despite the extension, passed MOT this morning :cool:
MOT 2020.jpg
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:16 pm Despite the extension, passed MOT this morning :cool:

MOT 2020.jpg
Congrats Andy, but no real surprise there!
Your car looks as superb as ever. :D

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:29 pm
andyd wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:16 pm Despite the extension, passed MOT this morning :cool:

MOT 2020.jpg
Congrats Andy, but no real surprise there!
Your car looks as superb as ever. :D

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew.

Always nervous when waiting though :)

He asked if that was the original tax disc :lol:

As the weather is good for the next week or so and there are no shows, I'm tempted to tax it and drive around locally :headscratch:
Maybe wait to see what gets announced Sunday...

:cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well done andy there will be a mad rush once the lock down is over . Talking lock down I did get a text saying I am stuck in till end of June so they must be getting ready to lift the ban for people .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm Well done andy there will be a mad rush once the lock down is over . Talking lock down I did get a text saying I am stuck in till end of June so they must be getting ready to lift the ban for people .
The MOT tester said the same thing, it will all go mad when lockdown is lifted :roll:

That's still a long time for you to be locked in :(
I'm adamant June 1st car will be out (weather permitting) and arranging a few drives with others to Dartmoor maybe, although still social distancing :cool:

:goodluck:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:25 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm Well done andy there will be a mad rush once the lock down is over . Talking lock down I did get a text saying I am stuck in till end of June so they must be getting ready to lift the ban for people .
The MOT tester said the same thing, it will all go mad when lockdown is lifted :roll:

I'm adamant June 1st car will be out (weather permitting) and arranging a few drives with others to Dartmoor maybe, although still social distancing :cool:

Andy Dartmoor is my most favourite place in the world , I spent so many years working on a farm in the summer and walked so much of it , so plenty of pictures mate :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm
andyd wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Andy Dartmoor is my most favourite place in the world , I spent so many years working on a farm in the summer and walked so much of it , so plenty of pictures mate :beer:
The last time I went to Dartmoor was early 1980s!

Strange when you live within the West Country you don't visit these areas, yet other people travel miles :?

Will take some pics as and when we get there, and maybe a few car pics too :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Well done on the mot Andy. Great news fella. :applaud:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Quoted from the article:

The extension saw MOTs that expired during the lockdown automatically extended by six months.

The rule change was introduced on 30 March and is currently in force until March 2021. This means that any MOT expiring until then will be granted an automatic six-month extension.

Does this mean that when my MOT expired in April, it's been extended until October, but when it becomes due again in October it will get extended again....?? 🤔
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:21 am Quoted from the article:

The extension saw MOTs that expired during the lockdown automatically extended by six months.

The rule change was introduced on 30 March and is currently in force until March 2021. This means that any MOT expiring until then will be granted an automatic six-month extension.

Does this mean that when my MOT expired in April, it's been extended until October, but when it becomes due again in October it will get extended again....?? 🤔
It does read like that Danny but not sure that is the case :? How many cars will be unroadworthy in that 12 months or so.

Think this will all end fairly soon as lockdown is lifting, that's why I got mine done last week so definate expiry May 2021!