In the current situation...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

In the current situation...

Post by andyd »

I see the scamming scum bags still on Ebay :roll: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/84-A-reg-For ... SwXaFefzNP

1872 ads including, 260 cars and 342 Motorbikes/Scooters!! Bet these people don't even catch a cold :twak:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: In the current situation...

Post by Paul G »

There were a load on there earlier in the week. I reported them. :wank: :wank: :wank:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm There were a load on there earlier in the week. I reported them. :wank: :wank: :wank:
Nice one Paul.

Still amazes me how it's so easy for these to get past Ebay :headscratch:

About time someone there put a stop to it, as it would be easy to get suckered in to one if you were new to Ebay and didn't know better!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I always send a message to the poor sods account with another scam but today I wrote give up scammer as we are all in lockdown . Then I report it threw EBay who do sod all really .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

The scammers must be total dimlos - they use the same pics everytime, I can't see how any person with half a brain could get caught out by these scams..

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Thats it tho Wayne , they flood the place with this and ,yep , sooner or later they find some avaricious dull boot that has a punt, and the hit rate doesnt need to be high :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 pm I see the scamming scum bags still on Ebay :roll: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/84-A-reg-For ... SwXaFefzNP

1872 ads including, 260 cars and 342 Motorbikes/Scooters!! Bet these people don't even catch a cold :twak:
That's a bit of a strange one as there still appear to be some listings from the genuine account holder (motorcycle leathers) running simultaneously with the scam listings. The scam listings all have the same photo requesting that potential bidders send an e-mail, whereas the listings for leathers do not.
The scam Capri listing has been bid up to £65,900 so I guess somebody is trying to sabotage the scam listing. :)

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 am
andyd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 pm I see the scamming scum bags still on Ebay :roll: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/84-A-reg-For ... SwXaFefzNP

That's a bit of a strange one as there still appear to be some listings from the genuine account holder (motorcycle leathers) running simultaneously with the scam listings. The scam listings all have the same photo requesting that potential bidders send an e-mail, whereas the listings for leathers do not.
The scam Capri listing has been bid up to £65,900 so I guess somebody is trying to sabotage the scam listing. :)

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
Yes it's strange how the scam lisings appear with what seem legitimate ads :headscratch:

Never sold on Ebay so no idea on how that would work, unless of course scammer has got access to someones genuine account.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:54 am Never sold on Ebay so no idea on how that would work, unless of course scammer has got access to someones genuine account.
Yes, I think how it works is by scammers hack a genuine account. More often than not those accounts have been dormant for a while. Genuine accounts have a history of activity associated with them, giving the scam listing some authenticity to the unwary bidder.
I would guess that the hacker changes the password, but you'd think the genuine account owner, if still active on Ebay, would still notice the activity of hundreds of new listings. That's why the scam listing you posted the link to seems a bit unusual to me.
I would imagine the reason why the scammers always tell potential bidders to contact them directly by email, instead of changing the account's email address, is because Ebay send an email to the original email address associated with that account. That might alert the genuine account holder, even if they aren't active on Ebay.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:13 am
andyd wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:54 am Never sold on Ebay so no idea on how that would work, unless of course scammer has got access to someones genuine account.
Yes, I think how it works is by scammers hack a genuine account. More often than not those accounts have been dormant for a while. Genuine accounts have a history of activity associated with them, giving the scam listing some authenticity to the unwary bidder.
I would guess that the hacker changes the password, but you'd think the genuine account owner, if still active on Ebay, would still notice the activity of hundreds of new listings. That's why the scam listing you posted the link to seems a bit unusual to me.
I would imagine the reason why the scammers always tell potential bidders to contact them directly by email, instead of changing the account's email address, is because Ebay send an email to the original email address associated with that account. That might alert the genuine account holder, even if they aren't active on Ebay.

Andrew.
Just checked sellers other items, and 888 vehicles listed now with no sign of the bike jackets etc!!!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 pm
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:13 am

Andrew.
Just checked sellers other items, and 888 vehicles listed now with no sign of the bike jackets etc!!!
Is Andrew looking for a bike jacket then ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

On the subject of profiteering out of a national crisis....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Purell-Hand- ... SwHr1ef5QR

This stuff must be worth more than gold now!

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm Is Andrew looking for a bike jacket then ?
I've just bought a motorbike to get past the queues quicker.

The lady at the counter in the post office gave me a funny look though..... :) :sorry:

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm On the subject of profiteering out of a national crisis....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Purell-Hand- ... SwHr1ef5QR

This stuff must be worth more than gold now!

Andrew.
It should be confiscated from the profiteering spiv selling it and given to the good guys in the NHS.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Hopefully this whole experience will cause the gov to be more willing to make companies like Amazon and Apple pay UK tax.

And hopefully it will humble our species a little and help us let go of the many things that aren't important.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi guy's,

I bought a bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol 5 months ago off eBay for £4.79, that same product from the same seller is now £26.00 - robbing bastards, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Mr B wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:16 pm Hi guy's,

I bought a bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol 5 months ago off eBay for £4.79, that same product from the same seller is now £26.00 - robbing bastards, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people!

Wayne
I hope that when this is over people will remember these greedy arseholes and shop elsewhere . A deceint person ,in a position to supply such goods should do so at a price reflecting the true cost of the sale ( like , not be out of pocket in any way ), good will goes a long way.
I just gave the nice old lady ( ex nurse ....I love nurses ) next house down the road access to my firewood pile as ,by good luck more than anything I had just had 20m3 delivered before the lockdown ,which happened while I was in hospital.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
andyd

Post by andyd »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:48 pm
Mr B wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:16 pm Hi guy's,

Wayne
I hope that when this is over people will remember these greedy arseholes and shop elsewhere . A deceint person ,in a position to supply such goods should do so at a price reflecting the true cost of the sale ( like , not be out of pocket in any way ), good will goes a long way.
:agree: 100%

Many shops still open too, they should be boycotted after this too!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Mr B wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:16 pm I bought a bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol 5 months ago off eBay for £4.79, that same product from the same seller is now £26.00 -
I had a box of 3m disposable masks, probably about £12 - 15 for a box of 10. I`ve given most away to neighbours etc, so had a look online for some more: most places `out of stock` but there`s a seller on Amazon, 2 for £50 and another site selling them for £32.99 each! (Paul, the ones I referred to in mail at £28 were a slightly lower spec one - I`m not `hyperbolising` :lol: )
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 am (Paul, the ones I referred to in mail at £28 were a slightly lower spec one - I`m not `hyperbolising` :lol: )
:)

If you look at dust masks on Screwfix or Toolstation, the pages don't even exist anymore.