Project: Improve Dim Dials

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Re: Project: Improve Dim Dials

Post by Hollyoak »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
If anyone is thinking of replacing the other bulbs in their dashboard illumination for LED, you will need a T5 wedge for the heater controls, like this one (very bright, a worthwhile improvement).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251457130070? ... EBIDX%3AIT

And a 7mm bayonette (BA7S) for the cigarette lighter surround. If you want to go the whole hog, these also fit the clock. You will need 2 for the clock.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191416867228? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,Your right about the T5 it a big improvement, I'll give the others a go, thanks,

Dave,
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hollyoak wrote:Your right about the T5 it a big improvement, I'll give the others a go, thanks,
HI Dave,
Yep, I can see all the symbols in the heater controls now, even the ones furthest away from the bulb holder. I've replaced all my LEDs in the dashboard illumination (except the green indicator warning). The green BA7S LEDs make a big improvement in the clock, not so much in the cigarette lighter, but maybe worth doing for a complete job.
I've finished doing all of mine, as I'm not changing any in the courtesy lights or glovebox because I prefer the natural glow of the lightbulbs there. Although there is probably an improvement in brightness to be had there as well.
Andrew.
sparks
Car(s): Ford Foucs 1.5 TDCi (Daily Driver)
Honda CBR 400 Import (Toy)
MK3 Capri 1.6 Laser (Restoration Project)

Post by sparks »

Glad I stumbled across this topic as I'm pretty sure 90% of the bulbs in my dash have blown!

Which is a great excuse to strip it down and carry out this brilliant enhancement!

Thanks a bundle!

Tom.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

sparks wrote:Glad I stumbled across this topic as I'm pretty sure 90% of the bulbs in my dash have blown!

Which is a great excuse to strip it down and carry out this brilliant enhancement!

Thanks a bundle!

Tom.
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like the guide.
I can honestly say that the LED upgrade is one of the most effective modifications you can make. The best thing is that the car will remain totally standard to look at, if you prefer your car to look original.
Andrew.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,

So with the current crazy crap going on in the World, I thought I'd start getting a few of those niggley little jobs done. When Andrew first posted this thread I thought, yep, got to get these done on mine and then the other night coming home from work, one of the bulbs finally went out for the last time and I had no idea what speed I was going at, which in these average speed traps was a living nightmare!!!

So I set to sorting this out, I found the bulbs I ordered 3 Years ago, Green 3W Bulbs. So I removed the Binnacle and set to stripping this. I was blown away as the Blue filters were in absolutely perfect condition and I do mean perfect (any one got a concourse build going??? £1000.00 each :lol: :lol: :lol: )!!! Anyway, I already had the green bulbs so it was out with the blue filters and on with cleaning the inside of the binnacle pod...
Image20200326_131303 by jon taylor, on FlickrImage20200326_130243 by jon taylor, on Flickr

Then I remembered this thread Andrew did, where he fitted reflective foil to the inside of the binnacle pod and I thought, 'why not'!!! So I got out the Tin Foil, cut this to the sizes I required, keeping well clear of all the electrical connections, got a good 2 pack glue and set about lining the edging of the binnacle pod...
Image20200326_135639 by jon taylor, on Flickr
Image20200326_143529 by jon taylor, on Flickr

Once complete I tested each bulb with a PP3 battery to make sure they all had a good connection, which I'm glad I did as I ended up having to bend the small tags out to the sides ever so slightly to get a good contact!!! Then it was time to screw it all back together...
Image20200326_145010 by jon taylor, on Flickr

Following this I nipped out to the Capri and did a quick test fit to ensure everything was working as it should, then back in to put all the covers back on...
Image20200326_145451 by jon taylor, on Flickr

Once it was all screwed back together, it was time to re-fit the binnacle back into the Capri... Then the long wait for the night to fall.....

And waiting...

And waiting.......

And waiting even longer.............

Then it was finally dark enough outside to see the results for myself...... I was BLOWN AWAY..... Thank you Andrew!!! What a cracking idea you had all those years ago!!! Amazing doesn't come close!!! They are only 3W bulbs.... And the light is exactly the same green as I remember the Fords of the time were, just never this bright, the closest to this was a MKIV Cortina I had...
Image20200326_192705 by jon taylor, on Flickr

All I can say (except thank you to Andrew again) is thank God these are the bulbs, I can finally use that control knob which non of us have possibly ever used!!! The dash dimmer knob!!! I can't say how happy I am with this, they didn't even get hot!!! Warm yes, but not hot.... I'm well chuffed with this little mod....

Well, all for now chaps and what a great 'How to' thread this was to go back to!!! All the very best all, cheers,

John...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:applaud: Nice one John and does look so bright . Glad your ok mate and enjoying the time at home.

I might book September for the run in somebody’s car at Santa Pod :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Taff50ish wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 pm Image20200326_192705 by jon taylor, on Flickr
Hi John,
Thanks for your kind words.
Nice little write-up and what a great result there, those bulbs have really done the trick. That job was worth the five year wait since I posted this thread! :lol:

Keep safe and well,
Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Great improvement John :cool:

I don't drive at night so will leave mine well alone :D

ATB
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Jason,

Yep a great result and very happy!!! Andrews idea was spot on...

We'll definitely have to 'rag' that certain car up the strip later this year!!! :lowrider: :drive: :lowrider:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks again and yep, it took a long time to get here... :xd: :lol: :xd: Great idea though and like Skoda says, 'simply clever'!!!

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your kind words fella. Yep, I do use mine as much as I possibly can, so I did need to do this in the end, but very well worth while. I would still recommend it for the one occasion you get caught out!!!??? It would have been such a relief in that 'average speed trap' section of road for over a mile if I'd already done this!!!

Cheers all and keep safe & well,

John...
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Wow, that looks amazing! Wanna do mine? :D :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hey John,

Simply STUNNING fella.... STUNNING.!!!

WOW.!!!? They look sooooooo cool AND you can dim them.!!! Great job John and brilliant pictures too. One of those jobs that gives you such amazing satisfaction especially when it turns out even better than you had hoped.

Well done John :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Now...... what's all this business about...
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:08 pmI might book September for the run in somebody’s car at Santa Pod :beer:
Taff50ish wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 pm We'll definitely have to 'rag' that certain car up the strip later this year!!! :lowrider: :drive: :lowrider:
What's all this "rag" business :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:25 pm Hey John,

Simply STUNNING fella.... STUNNING.!!!

WOW.!!!? They look sooooooo cool AND you can dim them.!!! Great job John and brilliant pictures too. One of those jobs that gives you such amazing satisfaction especially when it turns out even better than you had hoped.

Well done John :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Now...... what's all this business about...
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:08 pmI might book September for the run in somebody’s car at Santa Pod :beer:
Taff50ish wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 pm We'll definitely have to 'rag' that certain car up the strip later this year!!! :lowrider: :drive: :lowrider:
What's all this "rag" business :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rag is a polish cloth your in safe hands mate :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: