Gearbox Crossmember 5-speed (T9) 2.8i

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Gearbox Crossmember 5-speed (T9) 2.8i

Post by STEVEW »

Hi everyone.

I've just fitted a 5-speed T9 gearbox to a V6 Cologne motor installed in a Mk.3 and now the original gearbox crossmember for the 4-speed box is the wrong shape!
Could anyone with a 5-speed gearbox mated to a V6 Cologne engine (e.g. 2.8i) post some photos of their crossmember, please?

Thanks in advance.

Stay healthy.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Gearbox Crossmember 5-speed (T9) 2.8i

Post by Major_Tom »

STEVEW wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 am Hi everyone.

I've just fitted a 5-speed T9 gearbox to a V6 Cologne motor installed in a Mk.3 and now the original gearbox crossmember for the 4-speed box is the wrong shape!
Could anyone with a 5-speed gearbox mated to a V6 Cologne engine (e.g. 2.8i) post some photos of their crossmember, please?

Thanks in advance.

Stay healthy.
Oh yes that happened to me when I went from a 5 to 4 speed. And the propshaft was different, I had the 20 spline (type 3? or was it type e?).. memory a bit rusty.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Does this photo from the Haynes manual help?

This issue has been mentioned in the CCI magazine a few times. From memory, I believe that there isn't an off-the-shelf crossmember that will fit, you'll probably have to drill new holes in your existing one.

Andrew.
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Thanks for the photo Andrew.
It helps because it confirms that the 2.8i crossmember is practically straight.
There is one pictured on the internet which looks like a Ford one and is shaped like a banana but I don't know which car/van it was fitted to.
I've asked everyone I know who has experience with Capris in both The UK and Germany and the general consensus is that the mounting points for the crossmember are located further back on a 2.8i than other models. That is for the 5-speed gearbox.
This seemed strange to me at first however, after thinking about it it was probably the cheapest and easiest way to do it for Ford.
The captive nuts are mounted in a roughly L-shaped bracket that's welded onto a section of the transmission tunnel.
I would think then that when a shell was being put together these L-shaped brackets would have been welded into the position suitable for the gearbox going into it. After all, weren't the spot-welders hung on springs which made it easier for the production welders to move them around?
Two people I've spoken to about this is John (CCI), who confirmed what I was thinking: the cross-member has to be cut into three sections; bolted up and the "gap bridged".
I've also been in contact with Martin through this Forum and he confirmed that one has to be fabricated plus he has offered the section of transmission tunnel containing these mounting points however, as I do not intend to do any major rebuild work (It's a good shell and on the road)
I've decided to go down the fabrication route as I have two crossmembers for the 4-speed box. Hopefully it could be finished by Sunday.
Then it's time for: :beer:

Stay healthy
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am Does this photo from the Haynes manual help?

This issue has been mentioned in the CCI magazine a few times. From memory, I believe that there isn't an off-the-shelf crossmember that will fit, you'll probably have to drill new holes in your existing one.

Andrew.
I dug out my modified crossmember earlier today, but because I live in circa 2007, I can't post a pic up till tomoro.

Are both your gearbox output shafts the same length? What have you replaced with what?
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello Major_Tom,
Thanks for your help.

There is no problem with the number of splines or length of the input shaft. This was one of the first things that was checked when the original 4-speed gearbox was removed. The 5-speed box was successfully mated to the engine (Cologne V6) two weeks ago.
The problem is the position of the gearbox mount on the tailshaft.
Although both gearboxes (standard 4-speed/5-speed T9) are, from the bell housing face to the end of the tail shaft - more or less - the same overall length, the mounting boss on the tail shaft on a T9/N gearbox is set further back (about) seven centimetres). This is probably due to the "sandwich section" where the fifth gear is housed.
This means that the original mounting points for the crossmember on a 2.3S shell are positioned about seven centimetres too far forwards.
It now means that it's easier to modify an original crossmember rather than weld extra mounting points into the transmission tunnel.

If this fails I'm going to take up knitting as a hobby.
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello again Major_Tom

I've just re-read your post and realised I've partly misunderstood your post so it might seem I've been repeating myself.
Therefore, don't take offence if my response sounds weird.
Nevertheless, this discussion will help anyone considering such a gearbox swap.

I certainly would appreciate a photo of a modified crossmember you've got.

Regards,
Steve
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

STEVEW wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:15 am Hello again Major_Tom

I've just re-read your post and realised I've partly misunderstood your post so it might seem I've been repeating myself.
Therefore, don't take offence if my response sounds weird.
Nevertheless, this discussion will help anyone considering such a gearbox swap.

I certainly would appreciate a photo of a modified crossmember you've got.

Regards,
Steve
No worries, only ask as I had to swap an end of my prop over too when I did mine, but I cant remember which end or why as it wasva while ago! Will post up the mods as soon as poss.