Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Dash mounted spearker

Post by D366Y »

Hiya,

The dash mounted speaker in the GL died ages ago and I never got round to fixing it - now I suddenly have a lot of time on my hands!
Does anyone have one going please? Or a suitable size/fit aftermarket part?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Re: Dash mounted spearker

Post by mgentry90 »

Does every model come with this speaker? I've not noticed any sound coming from my dashboard, ever. Mine is a laser.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

MK1 Facelift and MK2 usually had them, also some very early MK3.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

My 1979 Mk3 has one, being an L spec it has just the one speaker, nothing in the doors.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Originally they only had mono AM radio, so a single speaker was all you got. I really can understand why you`d want stereo with decent speakers - but then again there`s a period charm to having the genuine set up as that IS how cars were back then. Having a radio fitted at all was a real selling point, most didn`t!
If you want to replace it, they generally came in standard sizes (7" x 5", 6 x 4") with pretty standard format holes - but they were usually imperial. I`ll have a look as I used to have loads of speakers from old valve sets etc, although I fear they`ve all been binned now. What are the actual dimensions, hole to hole`s best?
Have you actually tested the speaker? Connect a 1.5v battery across the terminals, if it clicks/pops the fault`s in the wiring.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Without meaning so sound like a complete philistine, a 1.5V battery? What type is this/where can I get one?

it is a 7x4 speaker, but as there are only two screws at either end around 8 and a quarter inches (exactly 21cm apart from the middle of each hole) I've struggled to find anything else that has the same fitment though annoyingly

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Sorry , just an AA or AAA battery, it`s enough V to make a noise so you can tell if the speaker coil is intact., but not enough to damage it.
~Yes, my fault, I didn`t look at the pic properly, I assumed it wasthe normal `hole in each corner` affair. However if it passes the AA battery test, the speaker`s OK and fault must be in the wiring.
I think it would be good to keep it as it`s a proper period item that.

Edit: Strangely I was just on ebay and put in the 78gb18808 and it came up with this which doesn`t have the end mountings, yet same part No? Weird.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-FORD-4- ... SwA5ReSYZY
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Haha no worries, I tried using two AA batteries on the terminals in every combination I could think of and it didn't make a single sound so I'm guessing that means it's had it...? If so it's a shame because it's almost twice my age so would be a shame to have to chuck it :(

And I did see that one last week as well, same part number but has four holes in the corners instead of the two at each end - not sure if there are different variations on this speaker/part number...??

Cheers
Danny
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Danny,
that is a shame, esp. as you say if it`s twice as old as you are - that really IS a shame!
Edit: if you got the one off ebay, you could cut, with a dremel or even an angle grinder, the end brackets outlined off yours and araldite them onto the new one? (as they`re supporting from below it should be OK) At least then it would be as near as possible to original.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Steve that's a great idea! Just had a look and it does look possible yes - enough for me to go bidding on that speaker anyways :lol:
I should be able to get it off the old one but my dremel recently gave up the ghost annoyingly so will have to get one of those too!

Cheers
Danny