MOT's extended for six months

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

MOT's extended for six months

Post by Paul G »

Just read on the BBC News website that they have announced that all MOT's due after 30th March are extended by 6 months.

"MOTs extended for six months

There's some good news for drivers in the UK. Drivers are to receive a six-month extension to annual tests of a car's roadworthiness.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says MOTs due for renewal from 30 March will be extended for half a year due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Mr Shapps said on Twitter that drivers must still keep their cars safe and that garages would remain open for any repairs."
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: MOT's extended for six months

Post by D366Y »

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020

Here's the gov link for anyone interested - very helpful and saves me stressing out about getting both of mine done next month!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Does this news mean that the government anticipate the lockdown to last for six months?
I can't see that the MOT exemption would be valid for the whole six months if the lockdown only lasts for, say, four weeks though. Unbelievably for this government, it sounds like a bit of a grey area that will be difficult to enforce.
There was a mention yesterday on the radio of this very situation. Somebody asked the DVLA if there would be an extension to the length of the MOT and was told that if they were to drive a car with an expired MOT then they would risk prosecution.
One hand not knowing what the other is doing?

Andrew.
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

Who will take the blame in an accident if the car fails from something unnoticeable to the driver who doesn't get under bonnet every once in a while like us but would be picked up had it have had its mot on time?

I know it's one of those questions but gotta ask really, will the insurance company cover this mot extension rule?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

National emergency so I think all the other rulebooks are out the window. It has always been the driver's responsibility to make sure the vehicle they are in is roadworthy, whether youre its keeper or not.

Oh and to answer your question, I have this feeling that the insurance companies will definitely use that defence, but hopefully the Gov will tell them to fuck off, strange times, pay up!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Earlier I said I wouldn't MOT my car this year with the 6 month extension, but if I tax it at some point over the summer I will get it done, so that next spring I can use it straight away without worrying about an MOT being the first thing I have to do.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I would imagine they have done six months as it's the easiest thing for them to do - not because they're not expecting anyone to leave the house for half a year!

You'd like to think insurers won't be twats about any accidents but it's no different than usual really - an MOT is only a check on the day, during the course of the year your car could suddenly become 'un-roadworthy' and you might not be covered, even if we weren't going through all this Corona crisis
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

And don't forget you don't have to wait that extra 6 months, you can still have your MOT as normal if you have a garage which is open, and many are.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 am an MOT is only a check on the day, during the course of the year your car could suddenly become 'un-roadworthy' and you might not be covered, even if we weren't going through all this Corona crisis
:agree:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I wonder how easy it would be to tax a car that has had the MOT expiry date extended, where it would normally have expired. Have the DVLA online systems been updated to reflect the change?

Andrew.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I think they are planning on extending the MoT dates on the computer system although mine are still showing with the 'normal' dates due -fortunately in July/September.

6 months is sensible enough because there will be a large backlog when the testing regime starts again, with many 'excess' tests needing done on top of the normal level. Plus there's always a peak in September as all the cars that were originally registered on 1st September to get
a shiny new plate, will need doing.

I'll try to get mine done at the normal time, depending on what the situation is then, much nicer scrabbling underneath a car to fix something in the summer than in the middle of winter.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep I read they are having a meeting next week to sort out a few things then the system should be updated with immediate effect presumably to show the new extended date for mot. I checked mine tonight and still showing original date but as, said am led to believe this should change next week.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:10 am Yep I read they are having a meeting next week to sort out a few things then the system should be updated with immediate effect presumably to show the new extended date for mot. I checked mine tonight and still showing original date but as, said am led to believe this should change next week.
Thanks Nick.
There's a note on the DVLA site that appears to state that work is underway to amend the database.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

My MOT expiry date has now been extended until October. That might actually work out better for me as I won't need to rush to get ready for a pre-show season test.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:41 am My MOT expiry date has now been extended until October. That might actually work out better for me as I won't need to rush to get ready for a pre-show season test.

Andrew.
That’s great Andrew so does it say your mot runs out but gives you 6 months to get it done ? Or mot runs out Oct ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:08 pm That’s great Andrew so does it say your mot runs out but gives you 6 months to get it done ? Or mot runs out Oct ?
The dates have been updated, so it just says that the MOT expires in October. No mention of the 6 month extension.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:13 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:08 pm That’s great Andrew so does it say your mot runs out but gives you 6 months to get it done ? Or mot runs out Oct ?
The dates have been updated, so it just says that the MOT expires in October. No mention of the 6 month extension.

Andrew.
Mine is still showing May 7th expiry, but it will be November when they update.

I still want to get it done hopefully by the May expiry, so I have most of April next year to get it done as usual and don't have to worry about it during show season :cool:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

My guess would be that they update the extra six months on the day or something? Andrew's was due yesterday so they've bounced it on six months yesterday, mind are still showing as due on the 22nd and 30th April so guessing they will be updated soon...?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s a result Andrew , mine is due November so long time away . I never thought of looking and putting Andrews reg in :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep as Danny has said most will get extended by 6 months on the date of expiry if not couple of days before. Read this on dvla

My question is can you get the new mot done ANY time in the extended six months or do you have to wait to be told the earliest you can do it which will be at the other end of the extended period ???
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...