Going For A Drive

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Going For A Drive

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm The Mrs has just gone out to give blood, on the way she saw Police questioning a driver on or near a petrol station, then as she parked up a mile furthur on a Police car pulled alongside and asked her what she was doing out? She told them and he replied Oh OK.
I've been given a key worker permit to carry around to show to the authorities if I get questioned, allowing me to travel, so I did think this may be happening. Still surprising though.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm
andyd wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm The Mrs has just gone out to give blood, on the way she saw Police questioning a driver on or near a petrol station, then as she parked up a mile furthur on a Police car pulled alongside and asked her what she was doing out? She told them and he replied Oh OK.
I've been given a key worker permit to carry around to show to the authorities if I get questioned, allowing me to travel, so I did think this may be happening. Still surprising though.
If I was caught out in the Capri, the old "Just out for a drive" would be :python:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Peter-S wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:28 pm
pbar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am
Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 am
Yes there will be no pedal to the metal charging about from me, just trying to keep the mind going since suddenly, the Capri is the only friend I have to keep my brain quiet.
You have many on here Tom.
and you have contact numbers for one or two of us as well - use them if you want to properly talk - not sense of course but a real human (type) voice!
Thanks a lot, feel very lucky to know you guys!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 am Im used to touching people to stay calm and grounded. Not looking forward to this at all.
Is this something you pay for?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

mgentry90 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 am Im used to touching people to stay calm and grounded. Not looking forward to this at all.
Is this something you pay for?
Only on weekends :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm Funny how there was a Police shortage but now they appear around every corner :headscratch:
Harrassing drivers is probably easier than looking for real criminals :roll:
I wonder if the people in the safety camera vans will be classed as key workers and keep on working?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:11 pm
andyd wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm Funny how there was a Police shortage but now they appear around every corner :headscratch:
Harrassing drivers is probably easier than looking for real criminals :roll:
I wonder if the people in the safety camera vans will be classed as key workers and keep on working?

Andrew.
A bit like the traffic wardens that have been ticketing NHS workers :roll:

This is as bad as shops etc profiteering at this time!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I wonder if any change will occur regarding folk like Jimmy Carr and companies like Apple not paying UK tax. Its a problem brought about by nature this virus, but the tens, probably hundreds of billions of pounds of unpaid tax over the last decade have stunted the NHS and the police and will have exacerbated the number of dead.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Well I managed 54 miles in the 2.8 today in relation to the service on the daily - there and back twice. First journey with the wife following, next two with her as a passenger but coming come on the final trip I left to find her own way so I enjoyed that run much more ;)
Have to make that last a while I guess.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

I just read that police in Yorkshire are to set up random checkpoints to check on people's journeys and to lessen people driving if not essential. Not surprising really.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Surely if you just want to go out for a spin but you don't get out of the car at any point that should be OK? You are still self isolating!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:03 pm Surely if you just want to go out for a spin but you don't get out of the car at any point that should be OK? You are still self isolating!
It can cause secondary issues though Danny I think, such as if you have an accident then you may need the ambulance/police services, and I hear that they are slightly busy at the moment. And of course people will be at petrol stations which wouldn't otherwise be necessary.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:37 pm
D366Y wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:03 pm Surely if you just want to go out for a spin but you don't get out of the car at any point that should be OK? You are still self isolating!
It can cause secondary issues though Danny I think, such as if you have an accident then you may need the ambulance/police services, and I hear that they are slightly busy at the moment. And of course people will be at petrol stations which wouldn't otherwise be necessary.
True, fair points - I've never had an accident that bad so didn't think of it that way
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Re: Covid-19

We all know now that this virus has traveled from Wuhan in China like a wave. One of the worst hit areas in Europe is centered around Milan, Italy.
I’ve heard the reason for this was the International Leather Trade Fair (LINEAPPEL) was held there last February and some attendees from Wuhan were infected.
This is one example of how the spread of this virus has rapidly occurred: the common denominator of this pandemic is, travel.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that a quick shake down drive of your Capri will spread Covid-19 but as others have pointed out, an accident could overstretch the UK NHS to absolute breaking point. (If it isn’t already there.)
You have probably heard that one badly affected area of France is centred around Mulhouse, which like Wuhan, is involved in automobile manufacturing.

Hospital bed capacity in the North-East of France is now critical, which has led to Saarland, Germany offering to take Covid-19 cases into their care in German hospitals.

The French are also using specially modified TGVs to transport patients to other regions in France.

I’ve also heard some sobering news on Saarland radio this morning. There aren’t enough respiratory machines around Strasbourg for every Covid-19 patient.
Hence, the doctors and health-care workers are faced with an immense psychological pressure: they have to decide which patient gets the machine and the cut-off is those under 80. (This has just been repeated as I write this)
In other words, they can do nothing for someone’s parents or grandparents.

The real problem is the number of people around us who are infected with Covid-19 and are completely unaware that they are carrying the virus.
This is not just a very bad flue as I’ve heard from someone in the UK.
Food for thought.
(Rant over.)

Stay healthy,
andyd

Post by andyd »

Just had our recycling lorry come around, 3 people in the cab then another council van pulled up to collect a neighbours large amount of cardboard, then all 4 of them stood in the road smoking and chatting no where near 2 metres apart :banghead: :banghead:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Absolutely true words about driving, but caution has to be balanced, its the same if someone falls over jogging and breaks a wrist, or falls off a bike and does something horrible to themselves. Or falls down the stairs, or cuts themselves chopping a tomato when the sensible thing would be never moving from one floor of the house to the other, and tinned tomatoes

I accept that cars are generally regarded as more dangerous than staircases, but just be more alert and more careful, no matter what you do. My doc reassured me yesterday its tacitly acceptable to go for a little drive, in the same way you can go for a walk or exercise say, but, reading between the lines, piss taking is not just silly, its has been strictly prohibited under emergency regulations.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Wise words Tom. I think the key word is essential. It is essential to walk around the home and use the stairs, but it is not essential to go for a drive for fun.

Boris has been quite clear in that daunting speech - only go out if essential, or if you are a key worker, or for your permitted once a day exercise (with the imposed limitations)

Things are obviously changing daily, such as the MOT extension yesterday and the road checkpoints today.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Not for fun on the manner we mean fun no, but yesterday my doc tried to clarify through all the grey area miasma, that people excercise to feel better and if driving makes you feel better, that is exercise, but yes she said the hosps wont be able to cope as is, so dont go far and be more careful, but if it keeps you healthy and safe, they would rather you did it.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Yes I touched upon that on a previous post, a drive out could be your exercise especially if you get out in a nice location for a stretch and a walk in the fresh air, and driving can be good for mental wellbeing/exercise also, and that is important. It is not just physical exercise which is needed, although you could argue you should be doing puzzles/reading/jigsaws, etc for that rather than going out driving.

Although the road checkpoints (and Andy mentioning yesterday that people are being quizzed) thing pretty much does mean only go out if essential, and that includes driving.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yes youre right, trust me, many books, games, cat times, walkings, phone calls and stimulus of all kinds are being employed. Ive not even been for a drive yet, all this finding out is for the contingency plan of driving in case all the aforementioned activities become null and ineffective. Often just having the option is enough, but driving just shuts everything up, its great. I bet it wont now I've said it though.. its a complicated thing the brain.