The recent news...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom »

..bit of a bummer, eh?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Re: The recent news...

Post by Major_Tom »

..on an amusing note, that List they sent out is like a typically English day, minus "take tea at noon".
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm ..bit of a bummer, eh?
A mild understatement perhaps Tom :lol:

In a case of perfect timing I have this week off. From thinking there's not much I will be able to do there's actually not anything!
And now I have to pay staff wages for not doing much either subject to getting my 80% back at some point. Still, I am in a better position than many so shouldn't grumble too much. At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Just been saying to a frightened friend, this is unique in our lifetime, but better than having bombs coming down at random, no allies, no army, and this warlike madman 30 miles away with a huge amazingly advanced war machine ready to end our way of life forever.

Oh and having all the kids evacuated and psychologically scarred or taking a very real risk of death to stay together in a city under murderous attack from frightening weapons.

IThen there was all the nuclear Cold War threat which was all about to get seriously un-cold, Vulcan nuclear bombers, bombed up and idling on runways all over Britain ready and waiting for the word to go and participate in what was certain to be the end of the world.

So its important to be aware of this unique time in our lives, but perspective and reflection is also important.

Plus the rich folks that allow us to drink and laugh and have conversations like this need us to keep making them rich, so have an interest in our existence!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well that’s one for the History books but I think we all see that coming . There is a re run of the classic babe station but not sure how that will work as when I watched the woman never phoned me . :lol:
So at least the garden will look nice with all this time and OMG the home work my daughter got threw the post and email I might have to google the answers :lol:
Stay safe folks and no going out .

Peter just love that train set is it based on any station ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:04 am
Peter just love that train set is it based on any station ?
Cheers Jason.
There's actually two stations! Of the 4 pics I put up the second down was the original layout - a fictitious through station with a hidden loop at each end so there was a continuous circuit. The layout then became 'L' shaped when I added a terminus fed from the hidden loop. Again nowhere specific, I just cribbed and adapted some track plans to utilise the space I had available. Eventually I added a motive power depot of sorts off the loop at the other end which is the first and last of the 4 pictures.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now
This is something I was wondering about: If I were to leave my garage, drive out into the country for an hour then return to the garage, not stopping, not interacting with anyone so not dispersing my hypothetical pathogens, do we think I`d get away with it? As I can see myself going crazy if I can`t even go for a drive. For months. At the risk of a small fine I`d probably take the chance.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 am
Peter-S wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm At least I got a brief drive in the 2.8 this afternoon when I went for petrol - could last a while now
This is something I was wondering about: If I were to leave my garage, drive out into the country for an hour then return to the garage, not stopping, not interacting with anyone so not dispersing my hypothetical pathogens, do we think I`d get away with it? As I can see myself going crazy if I can`t even go for a drive. For months. At the risk of a small fine I`d probably take the chance.
Theres been nothing said about being in a car by yourself yet. Hopefully it'll be okay!
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:
Bug

Post by Bug »

On the plus side; Boris Johnson has FINALLY ended the DFS Sale :xd:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:
Well I had some crap old fuel left in my tank for 8 months and it ran fine. I even drained some off and compared it to some brand new fuel, it smelt less 'potent' and hadva slighly paler colour, but the car still ran okay.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 am
Bug wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am Hope you all have contingency plans for when your unleaded fuel goes stale and your cars won't run :roll:
Well I had some crap old fuel left in my tank for 8 months and it ran fine. I even drained some off and compared it to some brand new fuel, it smelt less 'potent' and hadva slighly paler colour, but the car still ran okay.
Well that's ok then.
If Tom says it still had 'nose' and it tasted ok with coke (the liquid stuff), then you'll all be fine. :xd:
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 am

Morally you are correct as you are not interacting with anyone, and you are handily shut into a metal box. Simply place a couple of supermarket bags-for-life on your passenger seat, along with a shopping list, then if you should be challenged you are simply going food shopping.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Noel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 am Morally you are correct as you are not interacting with anyone, and you are handily shut into a metal box. Simply place a couple of supermarket bags-for-life on your passenger seat, along with a shopping list, then if you should be challenged you are simply going food shopping.
I`m really not endangering anyone so yes, that sounds a reasonable solution. Cheers
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

I would use the exercise/wellbeing reasons if questioned to be honest, rather than lying about going shopping. It is not a time to be lying so you can do things.

It is all about common sense and doing your bit to avoid more deaths. We have to remember, thousands have/are dying.
Last edited by pbar on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

pbar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

It is all about common sense and doing your bit to avoid more deaths. We have to remember, thousands have/are dying.
I agree. Where I live, in North London, I can go out for a walk around the streets etc, there are a few small parks, but not that much to speak of, and all will undoubtedly have others in them.

Jump in the car and drive out to the edge of town, and there are plenty of fields and country walks.

There's also going to/from the big Tesco, which I usually do in the 'daily' but which may become an outing for the Capri when I've finished fiddling with it in the garage!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am
Major_Tom wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 am
Well that's ok then.
If Tom says it still had 'nose' and it tasted ok with coke (the liquid stuff), then you'll all be fine. :xd:
It was precisely because I'd heard that it goes stale and useless that I found out for myself. Tank was ordinary carb'd version, open to atmosphere, had a crap seal that let fuel out every left hand turn. Car sat for 8 months in rain or shine with no more than ten litres in it, so thought "right lets see if this stale fuel thing is true!" and it started and ran without fault.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:44 am It's all about common sense. Boris didn't, and couldn't, mention every scenario which every person may face. Going for a solo drive, or in pairs which I also think would be 'allowed' is not causing a risk. You could even classify that as your daily exercise if you drive to somewhere in the country and get out for a walk or stretch your legs, again, that's better than walking around your local streets. Exercise isn't just physical either, our minds need it too.

I would use the exercise/wellbeing reasons if questioned to be honest, rather than lying about going shopping. It is not a time to be lying so you can do things.

Dr Hilary on GMB said not to drive unnecessarily as you will then need fuel and have to be in contact with others at the petrol station.

That's alot of crap and taking it too far if you pay at the pump or stay 2 metres from others! As said we will go mad if we can't drive except to supermarket :? Driving the Capri at some point is good for my mental health and a bit of light in this dark time :cool:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

andyd wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Dr Hilary on GMB said not to drive unnecessarily as you will then need fuel and have to be in contact with others at the petrol station.

That's alot of crap and taking it too far if you pay at the pump or stay 2 metres from others! As said we will go mad if we can't drive except to supermarket :? Driving the Capri at some point is good for my mental health and a bit of light in this dark time :cool:
Just spoke to my doctor and am getting a letter sent in case things get worse (troops patrolling etc), the mighty tome that is my health records is full of examples of me saying that driving is good for my mental health. And it does sa you can leave the house "for any medical need", that's loosely worded for this precise reason I think. Its not like I'll be tooling around everywhere, but good to keep the option there to save me going mad.