The Chinese coronavirus

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: The Chinese coronavirus

Post by andyd »

Pubs etc closed from tonight :applaud:

This should have happened at least a week ago, so the " I will carry on as usual" brigade wouldn't be able to!

The quicker people isolate/non essential contact the quicker we get over this and move on :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Noel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm Indeed, the reason the virus is here is because some people eat bats
Ozzy Osbourne's in danger of contracting the virus then.....

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 pm the " I will carry on as usual" brigade wouldn't be able to!
What's it like in other people's areas?
The reason I ask is that people around here don't appear to have changed their habits very much, if at all. I haven't seen anybody wearing a facemask in the street, for example.
Perhaps people in more populated areas are taking social distancing seriously?

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:52 pm
andyd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 pm the " I will carry on as usual" brigade wouldn't be able to!
The reason I ask is that people around here don't appear to have changed their habits very much, if at all. I haven't seen anybody wearing a facemask in the street, for example.

Andrew.
I work in town and it does seem quieter although people seem to be acting 'normally'. Roads definitely seem quieter at 5pm but could be everyone else is in the supermarket!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Andrew.
Plenty of people in supermarkets and cars on the roads, but that's probably safer than walking around :?

I saw a woman in Tesco today wearing a facemask, and a couple wearing disposible gloves (Nothing else just gloves) :lol:

According to the online rag, a local Wetherspoons pub has been really busy all week! Wake up people :banghead:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
I came back from the Peak District this afternoon, and the M60 anticlockwise to the pyramid, which from 3.30 is normally 3 lanes of standing traffic was like a Sunday afternoon - in the `80s! Back out from Old Trafford at 4.30, a journey which normally takes up to 40 minutes due to the entire area being gridlocked, flew through in 5 minutes. It was quite eerie. But in other respects, no masks about, except staff in some shops, (Although strangely I noticed there were none left in B&Q yesterday.)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Thanks for the replies, it's interesting to see how different parts of the country are dealing with the crisis. I've also noticed that the roads in larger towns are quieter than usual, I suppose from Monday with the schools etc closing they'll be quieter still. With so many people seemingly able to work from home it begs the question why companies didn't allow that anyway.
I feel sorry for shop staff who spend all their working day having to get reasonably close to customers and handle money from potentially infected people.

Continue to keep safe and well everybody.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:33 am

Continue to keep safe and well everybody.

Andrew.
:agree: Follow the guidelines and should be ok :cheers:
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:42 am
Mr B wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 pm Paul G wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

mjcapri wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:36 pm
I did earlier read a rather distasteful comment suggesting that if enough older people die we should have a second Brexit referendum as it was 'mostly old people' who voted leave. :roll:

It also crossed my cynical little mind that the powers that be may not mind if tens of thousands of mainly older and already sick people fall victim to the virus as it will save them a packet in pension and welfare payments as well as freeing up a lot of hospital beds in the future.

I don't think your being cynical at all, I think you have a very valid point mate

Wayne
Not a new idea by any means:
Thomas Malthus who in 1803 published an essay titled "Essay on the Principles of Population." His essay posed the argument that

"A man who is born into a world possessed, if he cannot get subsistence from his parents, on which he has a just demand, and if society do not want his labour, has no claim of right of the smallest portion of food, and in fact, has no business to be where he is. At Nature's mighty feast there is no vacant cover for him. She tells him to be gone . . ."

Men like Malthus and Scrooge believed that war, famine and pestilence were necessary in order to keep the population down, especially the poor people.

The only reason I don`t believe it`s deliberate is the damage it`s doing to Western economies, Where are all these 100s of £Bn coming from* and how it will be repaid, not to mention businesses trhat will go under... The poor are expendable, but the economy, nah?

*Government bonds, bought by the Chinese?
I agree with your sentinents as there appears to be more at work than what has been told to the general public.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:33 am Continue to keep safe and well everybody.
Seconded, I truly hope this all passes sooner than expected and that as few as possible are touched by it.
All the best
Steve
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Ditto - I'm bored of not being able to go to the pub already :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm Indeed, the reason the virus is here is because some people eat bats and animals kept and traded and eaten in unclean conditions. Thats it.
Yes this. I mean if its engineered its not very effective is it.

I think it makes people feel less powerless and less like a host for a life form that doesnt care about them. If you can blame it on "the man" you can imagine that humans are in control of everything, rather than the reality that we arent.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

It depends on the desired effect. It’s been highly effective in forcing western nations to commit economic suicide....

I’m not saying it is engineered incidentally as the stated source of the virus is perfectly believable, but I’m sure somebody will benefit from all of the chaos it has caused.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

mjcapri wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 am
It depends on the desired effect. It’s been highly effective in forcing western nations to commit economic suicide....

I’m not saying it is engineered incidentally as the stated source of the virus is perfectly believable, but I’m sure somebody will benefit from all of the chaos it has caused.
Agreed, always be some people that find a way to turn a profit or achieve some goal in a crisis.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

My mother in law is still wearing her mask indoors as well , was speaking with young Nick yesterday and London is being hit hard as he has been put on Saturday time tables now , and people are wearing masks and gloves I don’t think people realise what is coming . Stay safe folks . I Also got a text this morning from Guys Hosiptal saying I should self isolate due to my Autoimmune Disease what was a little scary I had to change my dr who pants after reading that ( photos on request )

But good news I might do a garden blog on you tube soon so any request please let me know :lol:

Ps Andrew I thought there was only 7 people in your village up in them hills and 209 sheep and a goat called sally ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Parts of Dartmoor and seafronts still packed with people :doh: It makes a farce of cancelling events!

Total lock down will come soon due to these stupid :swear: I would rather stay in for 3 months than 12 or more :doh:

Should fine every single one of them!! I doubt they are having more fun than me removing the chimney in the attic :roll:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:38 pm Parts of Dartmoor and seafronts still packed with people :doh: It makes a farce of cancelling events!

Total lock down will come soon due to these stupid :swear: I would rather stay in for 3 months than 12 or more :doh:

Should fine every single one of them!! I doubt they are having more fun than me removing the chimney in the attic :roll:
Removing the chimney in the attic , looks like that your sorted for 12 weeks mate :lol:

You will need the wife to bring you Tea & biscuits every hour andy as it’s the golden rule :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:04 pm
andyd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:38 pm Parts of Dartmoor and seafronts still packed with people :doh: It makes a farce of cancelling events!

Removing the chimney in the attic , looks like that your sorted for 12 weeks mate :lol:

You will need the wife to bring you Tea & biscuits every hour andy as it’s the golden rule :lol:
All done JM, in about 3 hours. I started while she was in the garden so had half of it down before she realised :D

Between buckets of bricks and mortar down the stairs and into the garden, I did ask her for a cup of PG :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:55 pm

All done JM, in about 3 hours. I started while she was in the garden so had half of it down before she realised :D

Between buckets of bricks and mortar down the stairs and into the garden, I did ask her for a cup of PG :D
Can’t beat tea was you wearing a mask :lol: :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 pm
andyd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Can’t beat tea was you wearing a mask :lol: :lol:
No PPE just PG :cool: