The Chinese coronavirus

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: The Chinese coronavirus

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm
andyd wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am Classic Ford show has been cancelled!
So has one of my favourite local shows, "Classics in Cardiff". I'm sure there will be many more event cancellations to come.

Andrew.
Tip of the iceberg Andrew.

Some shows around here are hoping to reschedule in August/September.
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

On a good note, my 7 year olds school friends birthday party was cancelled last weekend. RESULT!! Didn't have to go to that one lol..

Edit: my 7 year old sons school friend. Not mine.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Just been for a quick recce at my local 24hr Tesco - unbelievable - even tea`s gone now: tinned soups, ready meals, burgers everything`s gone - even some vegetables! I asked staff if it was easing off at all, they said it was getting worse. At least they still had cakes, and the Kenco cappucinos are still 1/2 price so yay!
Imagine if there was ever a real problem though???
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:00 am Just been for a quick recce at my local 24hr Tesco - unbelievable - even tea`s gone now: tinned soups, ready meals, burgers everything`s gone - even some vegetables! I asked staff if it was easing off at all, they said it was getting worse. At least they still had cakes, and the Kenco cappucinos are still 1/2 price so yay!
Imagine if there was ever a real problem though???
:agree: It's unbelievable Steve, the shops aren't shutting so no need for it :doh: Even if you are isolating you are still allowed out for food items!

As I said before, although you don't like to you feel as if you have to buy more incase this mentality continues :?

Good to hear some supermarkets are limiting the amount of each item you can buy, this should have been done from day one. Not to say that you can't go around and pay more than once and fill your trolley each time, which I suspect will happen if not already!

I do an Iceland shop every 2 months or so to stock up the freezer, but would feel bad if I did that now as it would appear panic rather than normality :headscratch:

As long as cakes are still around that's a good thing :cool: Just made a rhubarb crumble but only 1 tin of custard left in the cupboard so will have to be more careful than usual ;)

:cheers:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:14 am some supermarkets are limiting the amount of each item you can buy, this should have been done from day one
Andy,
I thought that some had quite early on put a limit of so many toilet rolls per customer, now they`re taliking about it as if it`s a new idea. As you say, should`ve been in place from the start. I mean, in Sainsburys yesterday (we only called in to see if they had any bread, which they did) we were looking around and she noticed that even sanitary towels, tampons etc had been cleared. I mean, tampons??? That must be a little known symptom of the virus? :lol:
Someone`s got a funeral this afternoon: do they go?
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am
andyd wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:14 am some supermarkets are limiting the amount of each item you can buy, this should have been done from day one
Andy,
I thought that some had quite early on put a limit of so many toilet rolls per customer, now they`re taliking about it as if it`s a new idea. As you say, should`ve been in place from the start. I mean, in Sainsburys yesterday (we only called in to see if they had any bread, which they did) we were looking around and she noticed that even sanitary towels, tampons etc had been cleared. I mean, tampons??? That must be a little known symptom of the virus? :lol:
Hopefully when this is all over people will think about not taking daily essentials for granted, but I won't hold my breath :roll:
stevemarl wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am
Someone`s got a funeral this afternoon: do they go?
Awkward one that, but keep the recommended distance from others that's all.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

BBC News is reporting a dramatic fall in emissions, particularly C02 and other car exhaust emissions. The suggestion is that this is the ideal time to 'reset' the economy and take drastic measures to maintain this reduction even post-Covid-19. How convenient, what with this and the possible collapse of Capitalism (as we know it at least) the lefties will be in a celebratory mood! I did earlier read a rather distasteful comment suggesting that if enough older people die we should have a second Brexit referendum as it was 'mostly old people' who voted leave. Lovely.... And I thought it was the right that were nasty? :roll:

I'm not genererally a tinfoil hat wearer but I do worry that this pandemic could be seized upon by those with a political agenda to reshape society.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Spoke to No2 son who is in the RAF, currently on Typhoons at Coningsby.
Everything there is carrying on as normal, daily briefings and large helpings of common sense.
God, I wish I could re-join!

Went up the road to the shop this morning. A couple coming the other way, no shopping bags, no dog, so obviously out for some air.
Well, as I got closer on the standard width pavement they started to glare at me, then both stepped to the side and practically climbed over the garden wall behind them! Both started muttering about 'personal space' and 'close contact'. Tossers! :wank: Why are you even outdoors then? If it causes you that much stress walk up the middle of the road, let's face it there's no cars on it now!

Of course, my cheery hello, followed by an exaggerated bout of false coughing probably didn't help :xd:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

mjcapri wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:36 pm I did earlier read a rather distasteful comment suggesting that if enough older people die we should have a second Brexit referendum as it was 'mostly old people' who voted leave. :roll:
It also crossed my cynical little mind that the powers that be may not mind if tens of thousands of mainly older and already sick people fall victim to the virus as it will save them a packet in pension and welfare payments as well as freeing up a lot of hospital beds in the future.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Social media and BS spreading around is driving a lot of weirdness, I think the latest round of panic buying today is down to rumours of "uk lockdown" and "the army being deployed".
All balls but it makes people think "what-if?" and go out and buy more pasta.

Twitter is hilarious though both for bullshit, and parody,
https://twitter.com/David_Laidler/statu ... 9641552903
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Noel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm Social media and BS spreading around is driving a lot of weirdness, I think the latest round of panic buying today is down to rumours of "uk lockdown" and "the army being deployed".
All balls but it makes people think "what-if?" and go out and buy more pasta.

Twitter is hilarious though both for bullshit, and parody,
https://twitter.com/David_Laidler/statu ... 9641552903
I orderd some pasta for the wife yesterday as it’s where to look

Ps Noel we need to talk about another subject mate :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

My Di works in a supermarket and its just as bad here .They are stopping peeps from going thru checkout multiple times trying to beat the limits . They deal with a lot of regulars, old and sick peeps who phone in and get groceries delivered , they process these orders before the shop opens. :applaud: Our prime minister ( silly wee lass ) gave us a rev up about being stupid re panic buying and social media.....deaf ears
Aint nowt so queer as folk
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Paul G wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm
mjcapri wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:36 pm I did earlier read a rather distasteful comment suggesting that if enough older people die we should have a second Brexit referendum as it was 'mostly old people' who voted leave. :roll:
It also crossed my cynical little mind that the powers that be may not mind if tens of thousands of mainly older and already sick people fall victim to the virus as it will save them a packet in pension and welfare payments as well as freeing up a lot of hospital beds in the future.
I don't think your being cynical at all, I think you have a very valid point mate

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
mgentry90
Car(s): Fiesta, laser ( under modification )

Post by mgentry90 »

Excuse me for not watching the news or knowing what everyone else may already know but has it been confirmed how this all started? I saw it was something to do with a scaled mammal creature that Chinese people eat as a delicacy, but then people are saying it's from bats? Did a bat and a scaled thing have babies and a Chinese person eat the baby and contract the virus?

If it's due to the Chinese or something weird they have done, will they be held accountable in any way? Or is it all down to a bit of bad luck?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It is generally accepted that this was the case -

Various crazy conspiracy theories have been circulating that the virus somehow escaped from a Chinese lab, either by accident or design. However, this is categorically untrue and scientists studying its genetic code have linked it to bats. It probably then jumped to another animal, which passed it on to humans.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Schools shutting, so got to find kids something to do once they've sat and done an hour of times tables and spelling every morning.
IMG_20200320_092753268.jpg
Question is have I got enough paint! Or the ability to leave them to it, cos most airfix they've done I can't help from interfering and making sure its done 'right' !
Last edited by Noel on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Can I come round to your house Noel!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

social distancing old chap!! Haven't you heard there's a war on?

Maybe there could be a mass-build airfix thread?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mr B wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 pm Paul G wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

mjcapri wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:36 pm
I did earlier read a rather distasteful comment suggesting that if enough older people die we should have a second Brexit referendum as it was 'mostly old people' who voted leave. :roll:

I don't think your being cynical at all, I think you have a very valid point mate

Wayne
Not a new idea by any means:
Thomas Malthus who in 1803 published an essay titled "Essay on the Principles of Population." His essay posed the argument that

"A man who is born into a world possessed, if he cannot get subsistence from his parents, on which he has a just demand, and if society do not want his labour, has no claim of right of the smallest portion of food, and in fact, has no business to be where he is. At Nature's mighty feast there is no vacant cover for him. She tells him to be gone . . ."

Men like Malthus and Scrooge believed that war, famine and pestilence were necessary in order to keep the population down, especially the poor people.

The only reason I don`t believe it`s deliberate is the damage it`s doing to Western economies, Where are all these 100s of £Bn coming from* and how it will be repaid, not to mention businesses trhat will go under... The poor are expendable, but the economy, nah?

*Government bonds, bought by the Chinese?
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Indeed, the reason the virus is here is because some people eat bats and animals kept and traded and eaten in unclean conditions. Thats it.