Drivers door key barrel

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Drivers door key barrel

Post by Dallas »

Hi, My drivers door key barrel has lost its front face, the bit with the slit that you push the key through.

The key barrel still locks and unlocks the door, but you can see right into the barrel (gaping hole), the round metal plate bit is missing.

Can the plate be replaced, or will I have to change the whole barrel, its been a long time since i dismantled a Capri door lock. :whistle:

Thanks all. ;)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Drivers door key barrel

Post by Not_Anumber »

Try Caprigear for a 2nd hand lock. Then you should be able to swap the pins over between the old and replacement barrels so that your key fits. Its not difficult.
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Post by Dallas »

Thanks ;)

Here is a pic, not sure how the centre face plate has gone missing. :shock:
IMG_20200229_114028_897.JPG
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

looking at that i do wonder if maybe someone has tried breaking into it at some point.

Fortunately it wont be expensive, Im presuming you've ordered a 2nd hand barrel by now
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:agree: ,an amatureish attempt at a break in was my 1st thought.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Not_Anumber wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:53 pm
Fortunately it wont be expensive, Im presuming you've ordered a 2nd hand barrel by now
I cant find one that is listed for a Capri, I've even searched for a whole replacement lock with a key, but no luck.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Have you tried Martin at Caprigear or Tickover ?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:56 pm :agree: ,an amatureish attempt at a break in was my 1st thought.
I once opened mine with a long strip of thin cardboard with a little notch cut in the end. Ive never managed to do it since though..
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Not_Anumber wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm Have you tried Martin at Caprigear or Tickover ?
I think he has some barrels without keys.

Can a secondhand barrel be taken apart and the front face-plate be used to fit on my barrel, or have I got to get a new lock with key?

Cheers.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Dallas wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:39 pm Can a secondhand barrel be taken apart and the front face-plate be used to fit on my barrel, or have I got to get a new lock with key?
I'm not sure if the faceplates can be swapped over, hopefully they can as that would be an easy solution. As a worse case scenario all you have to do is switch the lock tumbers over. Then you will be able to use the old key with the new lock.

Andrew.
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:03 am
Dallas wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:39 pm Can a secondhand barrel be taken apart and the front face-plate be used to fit on my barrel, or have I got to get a new lock with key?
I'm not sure if the faceplates can be swapped over, hopefully they can as that would be an easy solution. As a worse case scenario all you have to do is switch the lock tumbers over. Then you will be able to use the old key with the new lock.

Andrew.
I remember changing my drivers door barrel in my old Capri 25 years ago now, it meant I had a different key to unlock the drivers door, but I wasn't bothered. If I can get my hands on another barrel and key, then that would do me find, I think Martin only has barrels without keys though.

I suppose these barrels cannot be bought new now, I do remember buying mine from Ford back in the day.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Dallas wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:02 am I think Martin only has barrels without keys though.
It doesn't matter if you buy a replacement barrel without a key, if you change the tumblers over you can use your current key with the replacement lock.
At the end of the day, it's up to you what you do.

:goodluck:

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew has made a fantastic guide on door locks here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=53177

Was a life saver for me! I'd imagine that the lock in door type is largely the same process

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Buy any 2nd hand 'lock in door' type lock barrel.
Remove door card etc.
Remove the old lock barrel from the door.
Get both barrels on a bench and table in front of you. Ensure there is plenty of space, a selection of small tools and that you wont be interrupted
Print out the instructions from the thread provided, or have them immediately accessible on a tablet or laptop
Follow the instructions, being careful to note the position of the pins in each section of the old tumbler
If in doubt take lots of close up pictures.
Remove the pins from the new tumbler - put to one side as spares.
Put the pins that you removed from the old tumbler into the new one being careful to keep to the same order
Re assemble and now check it with the key
Refit to door, refit door card etc
Job done, drink beer.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

FWIW, the Finis is 685025, Part No 8ofb b21996 aa They do pop up on ebay from time to time. Or, If you can get a spare lock, the black bezel can be prized off and the `door` assembly can vbe removed. Just position on yours and click bezel back on.
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Not_Anumber wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:06 am Buy any 2nd hand 'lock in door' type lock barrel.
Remove door card etc.
Remove the old lock barrel from the door.
Get both barrels on a bench and table in front of you. Ensure there is plenty of space, a selection of small tools and that you wont be interrupted
Print out the instructions from the thread provided, or have them immediately accessible on a tablet or laptop
Follow the instructions, being careful to note the position of the pins in each section of the old tumbler
If in doubt take lots of close up pictures.
Remove the pins from the new tumbler - put to one side as spares.
Put the pins that you removed from the old tumbler into the new one being careful to keep to the same order
Re assemble and now check it with the key
Refit to door, refit door card etc
Job done, drink beer.
It cant be done, not without the original key to the secondhand barrel.

The lock I have is separate to the handle, not that makes any difference, but without the key to the secondhand barrel you cannot pull the core out from the housing.

I have a secondhand barrel (thanks to Martin), but its without the key, so I'm not able to line up top and bottom pins to be able to pull out the core. If I did happen to have the key, then I would just fit the replacement barrel and have a different key for door and ignition.

As I understand it, I need to somehow pick the lock to make all eight pins line up (4x top and 4x bottom), then I can pull out the core.
SAM_9533.JPG
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Or as I mentioned previously, If you press, or tap carefully with a small `toffee` hammer, from the back edge, the bezels will pop off: you can then just swap the `door` assembly from your new one onto your original and just press the bezel back on.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:34 pm
I didn't have you down as a KFC man, Steve! :D

Great advice though, as always. Your photos illustrate exactly what needs to be done to solve the issue of the missing faceplate.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Oh well, my secret`s out ;) (At least it`s not got my address, phone, mobile etc - like last time)
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Hey thanks for the photos Steve, that helps a lot.

I did try and and remove the black surround, but it would'nt budge.

The only problem I have is the original housing, I think the alloy is damaged, so I don't reckon the flappy thingy will sit in the casing.

I may need to swap the old core with pins into the secondhand housing, I cant do anything yet as all the bits are at the bodyshop.

I will let you now, thanks again. ;)