Rolling Road Tune

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Rolling Road Tune

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all.

So yesterday I drove down to ATSPEED in Rayleigh Essex to get B112 tuned up on a rolling road. Was a great experience made even better by the really friendly guys there. They were very happy to see the Capri :lol:

So anyway the whole reason for this visit was purely a tune up rather than flat out full throttle power runs as said before was not fussed about figures. . The chap decided to concentrate on tuning the low - mid range which as he said would be the range most likely to be used. If I was racing track days he would have tuned at top end but he said doing this would take away the drive ability at the lower range which was perfect for what I wanted. So he concentrated on this area and then done a couple of runs but as said not full throttle power.

So he did get me some figures anyway after the work he done and came out at 130bhp @5700rpm which is very decent and suits me grand. . He laughed saying he could get me bigger numbers but made sense too stick with what we had which is fine by me. Still leaves more ponies to grab if I wanted :lol:

So a couple of pics and two videos.

https://youtu.be/jqwg6mVyeEs

https://youtu.be/B7i4XR7PyYk
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Rolling Road Tune

Post by Major_Tom »

I do love the "rolling road tune" playing on those rollers 8-)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a full power run! :lol:

Seriously thought, it sounds as if the guys at Atspeed really know their stuff, and they were able to set the car up to your requirements.
You haven't told us how the car felt on the drive home though. The most important part! :D Was the car as good as expected?

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Sounds good Nick. Had it ever made that noise before today :drive:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nice one old chap I am still laughing at the washer bottle going for it . So she’s already for this years shows :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Sounds real good Nick , do you get a printout / graph that shows power and torque curves ? I be interested to see them ( and what cam do you have ) as I still have 2 pinto motors I have to do something with, and a bit of reliable data is always handy. Sure dont mean to be a smartarse but I cant help but wonder how it would go with a dgav. :) (What size venturies are in the webers ?)
5700rpm is upper mid range and that is a decent wind out ,with a (perhaps :D ) theorietical top speed getting close to 120mph in 4th , so I would imagine it to be a good set up for a fast road car....job well done Nick . .....does the Mrs drive B112 .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:30 pm I do love the "rolling road tune" playing on those rollers 8-)
:lol: Thanks Tom. :)

I almost did not refit the filter socks for the drive home mate... Almost... I am far too boring ain't I :wave: :lol: :lol:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:13 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:30 pm I do love the "rolling road tune" playing on those rollers 8-)
:lol: Thanks Tom. :)

I almost did not refit the filter socks for the drive home mate... Almost... I am far too boring ain't I :wave: :lol: :lol:
Ive just bought some actually!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:10 pm Hi Nick,
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a full power run! :lol:

Seriously thought, it sounds as if the guys at Atspeed really know their stuff, and they were able to set the car up to your requirements.
You haven't told us how the car felt on the drive home though. The most important part! :D Was the car as good as expected?
Andrew Yep they really do know their stuff mate. He told me he just loves getting the classic cars through his doors , whilst the younger lads who I believe are his sons whilst know Carb tuning too are great at mapping the more modern set ups. Before he started on mine he knew what I was looking for and said he would concentrate on getting me decent power at usable rpm. If I wanted more top end he would have gladly looked up there :lol: but as said for what I wanted for now he focused on giving me a good tune/ power at lower to mid range/upper.

Andrew it deffo does drive better within this range and still wants to play if I have a look further up :lol:

He got me in the Capri on the rolling road at the end to run through what different speeds and rpm tune up he done for me. It's the weirdest feeling sitting in B112 doing 70mph with the bleedin bonnet up :lol: :lol
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:14 pm Sounds good Nick. Had it ever made that noise before today :drive:
Jesus Peter I never thought B112 could roar like that and I absolutely loved it :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 pmIve just bought some actually!
Nice one Tom. Which ones did you get mate? I also got some webcon metal mesh ones that fit on the end of the barrels but really like the pipercross ones now they on. Might fit the mesh ones next week see what they are like. But yep I only joking about being boring, it does make sense to fit filters of some kind unless track day or 1/4mile :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:57 pm Nice one old chap I am still laughing at the washer bottle going for it . So she’s already for this years shows :beer:
So funny you mentioned this mate as I was looking at it too through the viewing window. Thought it was gonna explode for a min :lol:

Yep roll on Deal. Not long now mate :)
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Pipercross ones. Ive been lucky so far but also its an interesting risk factor.. twin carbs have lower overall suction going into those four ports than a down draught sucking in air through the one hole. Id never run a downdraught without a filter for that reason. But then you have 4 chances to ingest something with twin carbs..... but lower suction.. especially at low revs. I used to dip the clutch when I saw little bits of debris in my path. Except for this time I was racing a Mercedes and just couldnt bring myself to let off even though I was right in the path of all his gravel :?

When I take the head off I'll see if the 9 years with no filrers has scored the bores (and it would be rude not to 2.1 it if I have wouldnt it?) the carbs werent too dirty when I stripped them down, but the little mesh filters at the back that control idle speed I think, they were almost totally fouled up, but not sure if the lack of filters had anything to do with that or its just normal.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:20 pm Sounds real good Nick , do you get a printout / graph that shows power and torque curves ? I be interested to see them ( and what cam do you have ) as I still have 2 pinto motors I have to do something with, and a bit of reliable data is always handy. Sure dont mean to be a smartarse but I cant help but wonder how it would go with a dgav. :) (What size venturies are in the webers ?)
5700rpm is upper mid range and that is a decent wind out ,with a (perhaps :D ) theorietical top speed getting close to 120mph in 4th , so I would imagine it to be a good set up for a fast road car....job well done Nick . .....does the Mrs drive B112 .
Thanks Hamish. :)

He gave me a printout but been looking for it !!! Must be down in the garage somewhere as when I got back I was thinking more of hiding the receipt :lol: :lol: I'll look for it this week but hopefully it's down with the car somewhere. I know he was happy with the torque I had achieved in the mid range but not sure of the figures mate.

Hamish I have a Kent FR32 Cam Kit fitted which I had been advised was a decent all rounder and well suited for a Pinto.

Mate of mine has a 2.0S and has the 32/36 dgav and he's had a stage 2 head done with great results on the rolling road. Think he achieved about 130bhp at more top end rpm which shows how great the dgav is. He has a FR33 cam fitted which I believe is slightly less forgiving than the FR32 for lower end. But he's got great power there with that Carb. Think I read its good for 135bhp with the right setup.

No mate, thankfully the missus shows no interest in driving B112 but she knows deep down this would never become reality anyway :lol:

Thanks again Hamish. Very exciting hearing you got a couple of Pintos lying about yourself mate. Can't wait to see what plans you have for these.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I could tell you about the rebuild of one of them ,inc all the cock ups , but I dont have any pix
I get the weber thing , they are probly not absoloutley nesessary but ....
..well , Im having a garage crap clean out to raise funds for a set of roller rockers and billet rocker shaft mounting posts that I wont even be able to see let alone need ,I want solid lifters too ( rather have a roller cam but cant find one ) so I can fiddle with the valve clearance ( while wearing my imitation F1 mechanics overalls :geek: :D ) .....bucket list thing I guess.
My Mrs is a petrol head ,but I too know the wisdom of hiding recepts . :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Oh and by the way I hope you drove home ATSPEED just to make it all make sense.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:42 am Oh and by the way I hope you drove home ATSPEED just to make it all make sense.
:lol: Tom these 45 thingies have given my right foot a whole new sense of purpose fella :lol: :lol:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

They do make one heavier of the foot and lighter of wallet, thats for sure. But also smilier of face and clammier of palm which is the most important thing.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Good result!!! So what was the bhp before 130? Are you using side draughts?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

sierra3dr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:25 pm Good result!!! So what was the bhp before 130? Are you using side draughts?
Thanks mate. :)

Did not do a pre run beforehand as I only really went there to get the carbs tuned up on the rolling road more than just power runs, but he did a couple of runs at the end anyway to get these figures to show me where he had focused his tune up. He did a great job and very knowledgeable guy. Yes I could have gone there and come away with bigger figures but nigh on 130bhp at that rpm is very cleverly achieved and works perfect for me.

A 2.0 Pinto is something like 101 - 105bhp off the line I believe mate so I'm grand with what I have got with a car that drives well throughout the lower to mid upper range and still has enough left higher up to put a smile on my face not to mention the soundtrack from the Webers :)