Coolant

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Coolant

Post by ollyw »

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or make of coolant for my 2.8?

I’ve been using OAT pink by mistake for years, I’m about to do the yearly check over etc prior to getting her out from hibernation and the coolant needs changing.

I know now it needs to be IAT blue stuff.

Any suggestions? I was hoping somewhere like mpd or euros would have it. (No small local factors round my way anymore)

Glad to see this page is alive and kicking still!

Thanks

Olly W
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Coolant

Post by Mr B »

Hi Olly,

I've always used Bluecol coolant in my car's, my dad used to say it was the best stuff around for older car's.

Ain't 100% sure but I think it's what Ford used to put in them from new.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

You probably already know, but if changing to blue make sure you get all of the pink stuff out as the two don't mix very well and could congeal. To be honest, might be worthwhile to keep using the pink, especially if you have had no issues rather than risk mixing the two, could be very difficult getting it all out and there is a risk of dredging up crud also in the process.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

pbar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 am You probably already know, but if changing to blue make sure you get all of the pink stuff out as the two don't mix very well and could congeal. To be honest, might be worthwhile to keep using the pink, especially if you have had no issues rather than risk mixing the two, could be very difficult getting it all out and there is a risk of dredging up crud also in the process.
:agree:

I think Bluecol now make the Pink antifreeze as well.
Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mr B wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:30 pm I've always used Bluecol coolant
So that's what the 'B' stands for...
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 pm
Mr B wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:30 pm I've always used Bluecol coolant
So that's what the 'B' stands for...
Amongst other things!.... :lol:
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Thanks for the replies.

I had no idea about the two not mixing well. Thankfully I’ve had the heater out and back flushed , rad out etc so fully drained everything as a result.

I found the pink stuff was starting to sludge slightly over this winter hence all the effort. Also have heard pink is way too strong a formula for the cooling systems on our cars and can eat away at some of the alloy components?

How true I don’t know but back to blue for time being

Olly W
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

ollyw wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am Thankfully I’ve had the heater out and back flushed , rad out etc so fully drained everything as a result.
There is a drain plug on the block as you will have some in there still. You may wish to leave that alone though as they can be trouble.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

OAT (pink) antifreeze is not compatible with some materials used in most pre 1998 vehicles. Obviously it won`t fail overnight, but over time.
(from Bluecol`s site): Bluecol 5 year red antifreeze is a methanol-free, Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze and engine coolant. Bluecol 5 year extended life antifreeze is silicate free and incorporates the latest in Organic Acid Technology (OAT). Bluecol 5 year antifreeze can be kept in your radiator system all year round to maintain protection against winter freezing and summer overheating, whilst at the same time protecting the materials in the cooling system against rust and corrosion. It does not evaporate in use and is not flammable. Bluecol 5 year antifreeze conforms to BS6580 (2010) and contains a bittering agent to prevent accidental swallowing and consequential harmful effects to humans and animals.
*Not suitable for Classic or Vintage vehicles.

Certain cars are built with organic acid technology (OAT) antifreeze (e.g., DEX-COOL[18]), or with a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulation (e.g., Zerex G-05),[19] both of which are claimed to have an extended service life of five years or 240,000 km (150,000 mi).
DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in General Motors' (GM's) 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. One of the anti-corrosion components presented as sodium or potassium 2-ethylhexanoate and ethylhexanoic acid is incompatible with nylon 6,6 and silicone rubber, and is a known plasticizer. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states of the US, and in Canada,[20] to address some of these claims.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Can red and blue ethylene based antifreezes be mixed?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Not a good idea I`d have thought, you`ll have the 2 year life of the blue and the compatibility issues of the red. Having said that, depends on concentrations?

* AFAIK, the main difference is the silicates v OAT which are the corrosion inhibitors, not the actual antifreeze (which may well be Ethylene Glycol in both types ? )
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:27 am Not a good idea I`d have thought, you`ll have the 2 year life of the blue and the compatibility issues of the red. Having said that, depends on concentrations?

* AFAIK, the main difference is the silicates v OAT which are the corrosion inhibitors, not the actual antifreeze (which may well be Ethylene Glycol in both types ? )
Thanks for the input my good man.