Pancake VS Original air box

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Pancake VS Original air box

Post by Dallas »

Hi, Original air box VS Pancake air filter.

What are peoples views regarding the two, pros and cons?

I have a 1.6 Pinto with the 34ich Weber and manual choke, are the pancake air filters any good?

Will I be causing myself no end of performance and starting issues?

Thanks.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Re: Pancake VS Original air box

Post by STEVEW »

Hi Dallas,

According to the information I have 1.6 Pinto motors in Capris with Weber carbs all came with automatic choke. Models with manual choke Webers had the OHV Kent engines, which suggests your 34 ICH Weber isn’t a standard fit. (I may be wrong.)
Now let me ask you a question: is the car running nicely or is there a problem?
If the engine is OK then why do you need a “pancake” filter? (Which come in all shapes, sizes and quality)
If you want one because it looks cool: forget it and save your money. I binned one for that very reason. It wasn’t cool in both looks and function for a V6 Cologne.

I’m afraid your original question is about the same as,
‘How long is a plug lead?’ ;)
Could you give more info, please?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Personally I don't think there's much of a difference, if you want more performance without changing cams/carbs then whack a K+N air filter on it, otherwise just leave it as is? I don't think either of them are 'performance' parts or will make any real difference apart from the look?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

D366Y wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41 am Personally I don't think there's much of a difference, if you want more performance without changing cams/carbs then whack a K+N air filter on it, otherwise just leave it as is? I don't think either of them are 'performance' parts or will make any real difference apart from the look?

Cheers
Danny
:cool: Totally agree with young Dan a nice new 2.0 cam is the best bet
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

STEVEW wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:55 am
According to the information I have 1.6 Pinto motors in Capris with Weber carbs all came with automatic choke. Models with manual choke Webers had the OHV Kent engines, which suggests your 34 ICH Weber isn’t a standard fit. (I may be wrong.)
Now let me ask you a question: is the car running nicely or is there a problem?
If the engine is OK then why do you need a “pancake” filter? (Which come in all shapes, sizes and quality)
If you want one because it looks cool: forget it and save your money. I binned one for that very reason. It wasn’t cool in both looks and function for a V6 Cologne.

I’m afraid your original question is about the same as,
‘How long is a plug lead?’ ;)
Could you give more info, please?
No. The only Kent engine that made it into the Mk 3 was a 1.3 which was quietly killed off part way through it's life. All 1.6 MK3's at least UK spec ones had OHC Pinto engines, the only variation would have been carbs e.g. Ford VV or 34 Weber on the single manifold or in the case of the rare 1.6 S the 32/36 Weber, inlet manifold and camshaft borrowed from the 2.0. Certainly no Lasers would have been made with a Kent engine though.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If you shop around you may be able to find a K&N filter element to fit the standard air cleaner.

I must confess the first thing I did when i had a 1.6 Capri back in the day was to fit a good second hand 32/36 carb and manifold, convert it to manual choke and fit the shiniest K& N filter i could find.

It gave me better starting and running when cold, a noticeable bhp improvement and a lovely induction noise. Im very much older now but would probably still do the same. :drive:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

The 34ICH is a very common conversion for the original VV carb. It meant a change to manual choke but many did it.
You can tell if it was originally a VV carb as there will be a spacer plate between the base and the inlet manifold.
There should also be a single wire with a female bullet connector tucked away somewhere nearby that used to run to the VV.

To be honest, you will get a nice induction noise with the pancake filter but not much else.
Fuel consumption will probably go up as you discover how far you have to push the throttle down to get a decent sound.

If you do decide to fit one hurry up, cos it's Shrove Tuesday next week and after that you're not allowed to fit one for 40 days and 40 nights.................... unless maybe it's been Lent to you.

:D
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Post by Dallas »

Thank you fellas for your input, much appreciated :cool:

The only real reason for fitting a pancake was for its looks, nice and shiny chrome :whistle: and I love the fact that the pancake air box is small, means I can see more of the engine. I had a Speedograph pancake fitted to my 1.6LS back in the day, as sad as it sounds I'm trying to make my new to me red laser Capri the same as my old red LS Capri, stepping back in time so to speak.

I'm pretty sure the 34ich carb and manual choke isn't standard on my laser, plus the previous owner has fitted electronic ignition, so there are many wires in and around that area that I'm not familiar with. :o

The first thing I bought was the pancake and fitted it yesterday, I also bought a new weber choke cable, and to my surprise the car now starts instantly, where before it would take a few turns of the key. I'm not sure if its the pancake that has made the difference (I doubt it) or the new choke cable, but what a huge difference in starting. :D

My only concern with these pancakes is carb icing, and increased MPG, is this true?

Pic of it fitted.
1.JPG
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Mmmmm
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I had a 34ICH carb with a K+N air filter on my laser and never once had a problem with it icing over - the only thing I noticed about increased MPG was how much more I put my foot down :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 pm
If you do decide to fit one hurry up, cos it's Shrove Tuesday next week and after that you're not allowed to fit one for 40 days and 40 nights.................... unless maybe it's been Lent to you.

:D
Arrrrgh!!!!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 pm
Be careful where you buy from as there are always some Tossers around who will sell you a Lemon.
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

I've been cleaning :lmao: need more shinny bits though.
The 4 branch needs a lick of paint, so does the radiator infill panel, will be done slowly but surely. :D
Engine VW Pancake.JPG
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Dallas wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 pm I've been cleaning :lmao: need more shinny bits though.
The 4 branch needs a lick of paint, so does the radiator infill panel, will be done slowly but surely. :D

Engine VW Pancake.JPG
Mate, this is a stunning engine bay. Just love it. But I am a bit partial to a Pinto :heart: :) :)

Very clean and very well looked after as is easy to see from this photo. Nice one :applaud:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:00 pm
Dallas wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 pm I've been cleaning :lmao: need more shinny bits though.

Engine VW Pancake.JPG
Mate, this is a stunning engine bay. Just love it. But I am a bit partial to a Pinto :heart: :) :)

Very clean and very well looked after as is easy to see from this photo. Nice one :applaud:
Hey thanks bud :cool: she does look good for 34 years young doesn't she. :o
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

As part of bringing the car nearer to the LS will you be sourcing a Carla interior too. Inheriting the interior from the previous S was one of the best things about the LS I always felt. I was trying to find one back in the day but ended up with one of the last L cars.