How do we make an all electric capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: How do we make an all electric capri

Post by stevemarl »

It`s all academic now, just caught a bit of Ru Paul`s Drag race: if this is where we`ve come to we are, as a species, doomed! `Those whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad`. Night everybody!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:49 pm We are omniverous, we have canines, in pre-history we hunted and ate meat
No, we decided, and evolved to eat cooked meat over many years, it isn't natural for us to do so -

But there are several serious problems with the “canine teeth” argument, the most glaring one being the premise that “the presence of canine teeth = meant to eat meat.” In truth, with the exception of rodents, rabbits, and pikas, nearly all mammals have canine teeth. In fact, several herbivores and primary plant-eaters have ferocious canine teeth, and, as you’ll see in the gallery below, the largest canine teeth of any land animal belong to a true herbivore
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 pm Eating meat is as instinctive as walking upright.
No Hamish, it isn't the case.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

To say we are not omnivorous is strange, the fact is we have eaten meat for millions of years, there are cave paintings of hunting, we were known as hunter gatherers, how can we not be classed as omnivores? I`m not being awkward I honestly don`t understand? I`m not saying we should or shouldn`t, just that we always have. QED.

Can`t bloody sleep again. 2.30 Knackered all day then at night... Crap!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 am and, as you’ll see in the gallery below, the largest canine teeth of any land animal belong to a true herbivore
Don`t know where that`s from, but I`m assuming that would be Elephant tusk? But, that animal didn`t appear like that overnight, it has evolved over millions of years, quite possibly from an animal which may well have been 1/4 the size and a vicious carnivore? Like the sabre toothed squirrel! Seriously, the canine thing WAS flippant, but equally the presence of canines (heavily adapted to another purpose entirely) in a herbivore doesn`t mean they weren`t descended from something that hunted? Also rodents don`t have canines but rats are omnivorous. Everything`s a melting pot, evolving over millions of years. Except me, apparently, I`m just sinking.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

My cat eats brined button mushrooms , asparigas ,popcorn ,pringles, cheese ,vegemite and ham&chicken paste on toast and baked beans (we have experimented ) he doesnt like pop rocks ( that was real funny )and probly wont try another wasp ( even funnier .....coz it escaped and stung Merv too ) :lol: , and he likes flat beer.
Stupid cat :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
this is how bad it gets, 1/4 to 6 now and still Morpheus just teases me. I`ll be hallucinating in a bit.
Was just thinking though, you can`t possibly say that we are/were the only animals that need to cook our meat, what about all the species with similair needs, now extinct `cos they couldn`t work a microwave? Hmm, bet you hadn`t thought about them ;)

(This is ridiculous. Deb reckons I should meditate, `mindfulness of breathing` etc. I think temazepam tomorrow night`s a better bet)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for your replies Steve, will try to catch up on it all later. I am conscious that we are spoiling Brooky's electric vehicle/ Capri thread, straying too far off topic for too long.

Hopefully someone will bring it back to topic soon.

We could of course start a new one up for this, will revise my Origins Of Species in preparation just in case, I can see it on the bookshelf actually as I type this.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

This month's Viz has Greta Thurnberg's 'Laugh a Minute Climate Emergency Board Game' in it. Example:

You realise that your old car is a gas guzzling, pollution belching dinosaur, so you decide to sell it to someone else who keeps driving it around. Have another turn.

Buy it!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 am My cat eats brined button mushrooms , asparigas ,popcorn ,pringles, cheese ,vegemite and ham&chicken paste on toast and baked beans (we have experimented ) he doesnt like pop rocks ( that was real funny )and probly wont try another wasp ( even funnier .....coz it escaped and stung Merv too ) :lol: , and he likes flat beer.
Stupid cat :lol:
Jeez! Wouldn't want to be there when it farts!!!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah ,they were pretty bad when they were little ,not now tho . We got two (same litter ) so they have company, and we would have a cute wee ball of fur each on our lap .....then one would cut loose, faaaark they were bad .
We didnt feed them all that stuff at once ,just when we are eating it . Fun tho to see what they will eat . Biggest laugh was introducing them to snow.... :xd: ..which was on the driveway ...next to my Capri .....which may be a good candidate for electric conversion , anybody know anything about this ? Comments ?
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

I can see the cities having people bumming around in electric cars but seriously, spending 20 - 75 grand on one ?
Most of my last contracts involved me driving 1.5-2 hrs each way every day to earn a crust. That’s 135 miles each day, and what, I just grind to a halt after 100 miles?
Oh yes, I could go to a petrol station, having been converted at a massive cost and carbon footprint, to queue up for the half-dozen charging spaces, to twiddle my thumbs wandering up and down the A14 for 3 hours waiting for a space, only to waste the next 3 hours waiting for my ever so charismic electric “car” to get recharged...mmm good job you’re not ever gonna be late for an interview or important meeting - if only you could nip in to a petrol station, and whack a couple of gallons in the tank in the space of 5 minutes....oh but that would be faaaar to sensible , wouldn’t it!!
:ford:
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

pbar wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 am
Mc Tool wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 pm Eating meat is as instinctive as walking upright.
No Hamish, it isn't the case.
Yes it is

:tongue:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Hmm what ever happens with all of this electric conversion I can guarantee one thing. Industry will change because it has to. If classics have to go electric then they will do, it's a sad fact. Thing is things always get cheaper as technology improves and productivity increases, look at everything that once cost us a fortune and now doesn't. Its the expense that will be the biggest challenge.

Manufacturers like Ford, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc will struggle to charge a premium for Blue Collar badges, even on PCP deals. If they aren't careful premium brands will run away with market. Look how Ford with Vignale, has it worked? I don't have the figures but I doubt it. The reason the Mach E is badged as a Mustang is for Ford to be able to charge (pardon the pun) a premium for its products, it would never get away with a 50k Blue oval badged car. All this talk put out in the press of the link to Mustang being an innovation brand etc and its right that the Mach E sits with the badge is bol*!cks, it's just they cannot produce a 20k Electric market leading car and the Blue oval can't pull an Audi, Jaguar driver into the driving seat of a Ford without distinguishing itself differently like Lexus brand did. Does the Mustang work? To my mind no, the product might be good but its NOT a mustang and Ford should have chosen a different angle, maybe making the Ford script all chrome and no blue anywhere I don't know or certainly another direction. Scorpio died because it lacked investment as BMW then Audi took the market as well as premium Jap crap. Ford keeps trying to be more premium whilst keeping customers but its struggling I think and the more it doesn't know what its doing the worst that will get. I don't think moving manufacturering away from the UK is a good long tetm move. I think it will go full circle and I hope it returns with UK being the gateway for the US to sell into Europe.

I don't know what the future holds but it certainly won't be the Otto cycle
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

There will be petrol and oil for ages yet, they need the stuff for planes and shipping so I wouldnt worry too much ;)
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

My thoughts:
Most leccy cars will likely not be sold via a dealership so no transport costs, buy online & either collect in person or have the car deliver itself to your door.
In around five years, maybe four, there will be autonomous cars everywhere which will take themselves to the nearest available charging station when they run low, that will be in-between mooching around town picking up & dropping off paying customers. The 350+ miles range of some cars will never be required & it's probable that low-range cars (lighter/smaller batteries) will be common for in-town commuters.
There won't be the requirement for loads of parking spaces, just drop-off points so some car parks will become charging parks, probably very busy overnight with self-driving cars in & out within a couple of hours. New starter homes will be built without driveways & garages.
Plenty of people won't bother to own a car, no hassle with MOT, tax & insurance, servicing or putting in fuel/going to a charge point / having a charge point at home or paying a years wages to buy one. The younger generations still at school won't need to take driving lessons & get a licence. Driving instructor's instructors will cease to be a job description, then so will driving instructors.
Eventually driving a car yourself will be unusual and will attract extortionate (even more than now) insurance premiums because self-driving cars will have negligible accidents compared to those driven by humans. I expect that public-service vehicles will all have video cams that will pick up speeding cars or those driving too close & they'll grass up the owner in real time so an instant fine pops up on your smartphone (you'll need to use your smartphone number for I.D. purposes when taxing & insuring so you can't evade the system.)
Owning four combustion engined vehicles will mark someone out as being a bit odd. Farting about in a cold garage to bolt on bits to an old car engine will mark someone out as being a bit odd. Filtering old chip oil in your front room to use as fuel in an old diesel car will also mark someone out as being a bit odd.
Hydrogen is here & now! Fuel cell cars will be quite common in a few years utilising green hydrogen which has been generated by offshore wind farms & solar. There are buses running around now (well tomorrow during normal hours when people need them) in the U.K. burning hydrogen.
Planes & shipping will change over to predominantly electric & hydrogen powered, planes starting maybe eight to ten years, shipping much sooner i.e. new-build cargoes will have hydrogen cells in a year or two. You can already get a hybrid hydrogen/diesel toy boat if you have a few million spare.
Major Tom: Thunberg post - TOP CONTENT :lol:
Bug: Jeez post - TOP CONTENT :lol: reminded me of my youngest dog popping out a wine cork she'd swallowed six days earlier, painful for her, expensive for me :(
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

nigecapri wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 pm reminded me of my youngest dog popping out a wine cork she'd swallowed six days earlier, painful for her, expensive for me :(
Can we have more information on this "wine cork" incident?! Did it exit under pressure? Was there an environmental catastrophe?
nigecapri

Post by nigecapri »

No pressure build-up but definite environmental impact upon the environs of my back garden. She probably picked it up when out walking on the saturday night (no wine corks here) before new year & decided it tasted good so down it went. Wouldn't eat or drink on sunday/monday & anything attempted was swiftly projected across the floor. Vets for a £100 jab on tuesday n/years eve morning (anti-emetic) to stop sickness. No change so overnight stays at vets tues/weds. Then: "Come & collect her, she's eating again" on thursday afternoon so I swapped her for another six hundred & took her home.
Little change on friday morning, friday night she needed to go out. Splatter pop splatter & there it was. Straight inside for a drink & a demand to be fed. Right as ninepence but plenty of audible farting for a few days afterwards.
The joys of pet ownership.
nigecapri

Post by nigecapri »

Anyone building a Tesla Capri then???
Be good fun.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

nigecapri wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 pm My thoughts:
Most leccy cars will likely not be sold via a dealership so no transport costs, buy online & either collect in person or have the car deliver itself to your door.
In around five years, maybe four, there will be autonomous cars everywhere which will take themselves to the nearest available charging station when they run low, that will be in-between mooching around town picking up & dropping off paying customers. The 350+ miles range of some cars will never be required & it's probable that low-range cars (lighter/smaller batteries) will be common for in-town commuters.
There won't be the requirement for loads of parking spaces, just drop-off points so some car parks will become charging parks, probably very busy overnight with self-driving cars in & out within a couple of hours. New starter homes will be built without driveways & garages.
Plenty of people won't bother to own a car, no hassle with MOT, tax & insurance, servicing or putting in fuel/going to a charge point / having a charge point at home or paying a years wages to buy one. The younger generations still at school won't need to take driving lessons & get a licence. Driving instructor's instructors will cease to be a job description, then so will driving instructors.
Eventually driving a car yourself will be unusual and will attract extortionate (even more than now) insurance premiums because self-driving cars will have negligible accidents compared to those driven by humans. I expect that public-service vehicles will all have video cams that will pick up speeding cars or those driving too close & they'll grass up the owner in real time so an instant fine pops up on your smartphone (you'll need to use your smartphone number for I.D. purposes when taxing & insuring so you can't evade the system.)
Owning four combustion engined vehicles will mark someone out as being a bit odd. Farting about in a cold garage to bolt on bits to an old car engine will mark someone out as being a bit odd. Filtering old chip oil in your front room to use as fuel in an old diesel car will also mark someone out as being a bit odd.
Hydrogen is here & now! Fuel cell cars will be quite common in a few years utilising green hydrogen which has been generated by offshore wind farms & solar. There are buses running around now (well tomorrow during normal hours when people need them) in the U.K. burning hydrogen.
Planes & shipping will change over to predominantly electric & hydrogen powered, planes starting maybe eight to ten years, shipping much sooner i.e. new-build cargoes will have hydrogen cells in a year or two. You can already get a hybrid hydrogen/diesel toy boat if you have a few million spare.
Major Tom: Thunberg post - TOP CONTENT :lol:
Bug: Jeez post - TOP CONTENT :lol: reminded me of my youngest dog popping out a wine cork she'd swallowed six days earlier, painful for her, expensive for me :(
Sounds like one for a late night CRaP discussion Nige. I'm leaning towards the 'bit odd' category :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr