Hi Spec Brakes

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Spec Brakes

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

So got a bit of unexoected time today to spend valentines day with my other true love... B112 :lol:

First time I have had a chance to get a wheel off and have a good look at the Hi Spec Brakes that Tickover fitted recently. I also gave the under wing area a good clean up too as would have been rude not too, and while the wheel was off a good clean "behind the ears" :lol:

The main reason for posting though is if anyone is considering a front brake upgrade and is not sure whether it's worth the expense and originality issue or not sure what brakes to go for then I can highly recommend these Hi Specs. Wow.!! Absolutely stunning brakes.!!! As I have 15" wheels I was able to go for the 283mm discs plain vented. Went for Black calipers but they do other colours too. New braided hoses. Got them to replace my brake servo with a 2.8 one Martin supplied with a larger bore master cylinder. With this new set up the brakes have been totally transformed. The brake pedal is now proper firm and good and high. I got total confidence the Capri will stop now whereas before on the m16's it was a little hairy at times :lol:

Anyway as said a definate worthwhile upgrade for anyone thinking about it. I just had to upgrade the brakes as upgrading the cylinder head it made proper sense to improve the braking set up too.. With 13" wheels you can fit the slightly smaller discs but the four pot calipers will be the same. I also got them to fit new alloy hubs too with new bearings and wheel studs

Both Gus as nd Clive highly recommended fitting the Standard Road EBC pads rather than the Greenstuff and they are spot on.

So heres some pics now. Drivers side all cleaned, passenger side tomorrow :)

Imagebloated betta cure

Imageanthropology jobs near me

I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Hi Spec Brakes

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nick they look the dogs what nots , very nice better then I thought , and you say how good they are on the way home .
Yes could be going on top of my list this year :beer: .

Also looks like that wet stuff we get from the sky mate on the back of the wheels :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Not a whole lot different to my intended ,except I went for the Willwood kit , bit pissed off as I went thru Burtons ,really wanted drilled and grooved discs but they couldnt supply so I got the plain ones ,when I later queried the availability of replacement discs they reffered me to Rally Design ......who supply the kits to Burtons .....and they have had the drilled and grooved discs available for ever.
What is the idea behind the larger bore master cylinder,? Im thinking that would increase the required pedal pressure ( with 4 spots and 285mm that probly wont be an issue ;) but would also increase "feel ". If that is indeed the case ......mind if I copy cat ? :) . What size cylinder did you fit , I think standard is 3/4".
Looks good Nick . Looking at your Capri has got me motovated .....again :burnout:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm Nick they look the dogs what nots , very nice better then I thought , and you say how good they are on the way home .
Yes could be going on top of my list this year :beer: .

Also looks like that wet stuff we get from the sky mate on the back of the wheels :lol:
Thanks Jason, Yes mate I was really impressed with them as you well know. Great upgrade fella and deffo worth the money. Yes witht he wheel off it would have been rude not to wash behind its ears !!! :lol: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 pm Not a whole lot different to my intended ,except I went for the Willwood kit , bit pissed off as I went thru Burtons ,really wanted drilled and grooved discs but they couldnt supply so I got the plain ones ,when I later queried the availability of replacement discs they reffered me to Rally Design ......who supply the kits to Burtons .....and they have had the drilled and grooved discs available for ever.
What is the idea behind the larger bore master cylinder,? Im thinking that would increase the required pedal pressure ( with 4 spots and 285mm that probly wont be an issue ;) but would also increase "feel ". If that is indeed the case ......mind if I copy cat ? :) . What size cylinder did you fit , I think standard is 3/4".
Looks good Nick . Looking at your Capri has got me motovated .....again :burnout:
Hi Hamish, Mate that's a bit of a bummer re the brakes you originally wanted. Strange why Burton did not just get them in for you or at least point you to Rally Design as they did later on. I must say that Burton Power have always been great with me and usually most things arrive next day. Are you now getting the drilled, grooved discs mate. They not only look great but obviously you gonna have way more bhp than mine so these will perform better at more continuous higher speeds and braking. Mind you Gus at Tickover really does rate the plain vented for most road use, and recommended them to me with my set up,

Hamish I did a bit of research before I got the brakes and yes the large bore master cylinder is deffo suppose to give you a better feel to the brakes. Not sure if its necessarily that much "better" braking performance but more the fact you don't need as much brake pedal travel to get the same performance as that of a small bore which transfers the same amount of brake fluid just with more pedal travel. So in effect you feel the brakes much more responsive due to the lack of pedal travel This was instantly noticeable when I drove mine back from Tickover. Could not believe the difference in the firmness and height of the pedal but my brakes beforehand were pretty touch and go at times ! Hamish the large bore master is 23.8mm ( sorry its metric ). Here is the one I had fitted mate,

https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/content ... p1640.html

PS Thanks for your kind words on mine mate and cant wait to see more updates on your Capri fella. Its gonna be one dam fine motor and with the power you will have you do want decent brakes indeed :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Looks great Nick! :D
I particularly like the gratuitous shot of the (very clean) underside with no brakes in sight.... :)
I take it the calipers are anodised aluminium? That should keep them looking good for much longer than you would get with a painted surface.

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Glad you are pleased with your new brakes Nick. I went for Green stuff pads and I think it was a mistake as they are a little harder and take a while to warm up IMO. Standard pads probably operate better for day to day use.

Just a note about the 23.8mm master cylinder, I think it can only be used with the 2.8 servo. I seem to remember people who have upgraded master cylinders on the 2.0l servo use a Range Rove master cylinder, so worth checking out before anyone upgrades theirs.

Those hubs look great! I thought about fitting them myself, but I couldn't justify the extra expense.... now I'm not sure :)

All the best
Neil
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Nick,

Great news your happy with the brake upgrade. As you know, I got my Highspec kit fitted at Tickover too some years ago and although they still stop on a sixpence, the callipers certainly don’t look that good now.... :xd: :xd: :xd: Now enjoy the extra power in the knowledge you can stop her..... :drive: :lowrider: :drive:

John...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 am Looks great Nick! :D
I particularly like the gratuitous shot of the (very clean) underside with no brakes in sight.... :)
I take it the calipers are anodised aluminium? That should keep them looking good for much longer than you would get with a painted surface.
Thanks Andrew :) :)

Mate I am sure the calipers are anodised mate. They lol very good quality indeed. I am well chuffed with them both looks and performance :D

:lol: Yep could not resist a quick photo while B112 was up in the air !!!! Thanks for your comments. By the way :)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I see you have painted your ally hubs black , where as I polished mine , I figured if I cough up for ally hubs every bugger better notice :xd: . The thinking behind fitting them is to offset some of the extra weight of the discs.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

sheff wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:43 am Glad you are pleased with your new brakes Nick. I went for Green stuff pads and I think it was a mistake as they are a little harder and take a while to warm up IMO. Standard

probably operate better for day to day use.

Just a note about the 23.8mm master cylinder, I think it can only be used with the 2.8 servo. I seem to remember people who have upgraded master cylinders on the 2.0l servo use a Range Rove master cylinder, so worth checking out before anyone upgrades theirs.

Those hubs look great! I thought about fitting them myself, but I couldn't justify the extra expense.... now I'm not sure :)

All the best
Neil
Hey Neil. Thanks mate :) :)

Neil I was gonna go with Greenstuff but Gus and Clive both recommended the std road pads are better for road/fast road application as they pretty much said what you did that greenstuff work better when bring operated at higher temp like regular fast road and track days. I really liked the greenstuff spec of low brake dust but as said Gus really pushed the std road pads which he rated very highly. Might be worth you getting some to see if they improve yours Neil if you are finding greenstuff take a while to warm up. Prob more dust with std pads but I clean my wheels regular anyway :lol:

Yes Neil, that's a great point about the large bore master that I forgot to mention. They are as you say listed as for use with 2.8 servo so another uprated master would be needed to fit onto a 2.0 servo if that better feel to the brakes is wanted. Mine feel so firm now Neil and not much brake travel at all compared to before!!!! I got total confidence in them now mate.

I could not resist the alloy hubs mate especially as the kit included new bearings and studs too. Thought whilst they had the brakes off made sense to get this done too and the black look cool :)

Thanks again Neil. Hope all is good with you and your 2.8i mate. Hope to see you this, year some time :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Taff50ish wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:05 pm Hey Nick,

Great news your happy with the brake upgrade. As you know, I got my Highspec kit fitted at Tickover too some years ago and although they still stop on a sixpence, the callipers certainly don’t look that good now.... :xd: :xd: :xd: Now enjoy the extra power in the knowledge you can stop her..... :drive: :lowrider: :drive:

John...
:lol: :lol: Thanks John. Yes very happy with them mate. It was hearing you say how good they were that I decided to go for the Hi Specs and am not one bit disappointed fella. Great buy and worth every penny!!!

Yes I deffo have so much more confidence in them now mate. That large bore master cylinder really firned up the pedal mate. You won't recognise them next time you sit in B112 :lol: :lol:

Thanks again John
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:34 pm I see you have painted your ally hubs black , where as I polished mine , I figured if I cough up for ally hubs every bugger better notice :xd: . The thinking behind fitting them is to offset some of the extra weight of the discs.
Hamish yep thought it would be silly not to get the hubs done whilst the brakes were getting upgraded and these alloy ones look great and a great addition being alloy. Yep I can see why you wanted alloy to offset the weight. To be honest I just like the fact this alloy hub kit included the bearings and wheel studs too which I was thinking of replacing at sone time so this kit was just perfect for me and to get a great alloy hub too is great. My hub actually came in the anodised black finish Hamish from hi spec so better than just painting them. Thought the black would conpliment the wheels and black calipers on mine but I totally get where you are coming from too fella... show them off !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was, tempted to go for the silver alloy finish but decided on the black. Can't wait to see yours mate as reckon the alloy finish will look proper stunning :)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah , I never found a kit ( didnt look :D ) just bought the bits ( hub , bearing ,studs ) seperatley . If I had seen some gold anodised ones I would have gone for them . You guys in the UK seem to have bad corrosion problems caused by road salt so I can see why you would want some sort of protection. Are new cars any better corrosion protection wise do you think? Beats me how the car owners put up with it ....watching their motor vapourising before their eyes. Guess it aint as cold as I thought here. :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 pm Ah , I never found a kit ( didnt look :D ) just bought the bits ( hub , bearing ,studs ) seperatley . If I had seen some gold anodised ones I would have gone for them . You guys in the UK seem to have bad corrosion problems caused by road salt so I can see why you would want some sort of protection. Are new cars any better corrosion protection wise do you think? Beats me how the car owners put up with it ....watching their motor vapourising before their eyes. Guess it aint as cold as I thought here. :)
Yep not just the salt but just the cold, wet and damp months we get here mate. Thank god I got a garage which certaiy helps. I put a quilt cover over the engine in the really cold spells but don't tell anyone :o :lol: :lol:

Just seen its gonna be a cold day over your way today Hamish... 21 degrees !!!!! Jeepers !! I will be wrapping up to go down to the garage later on :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

It aint cold untill were in single digits .
Quilt on the motor ,I guess if its likely to freeze it sure cant hurt . Reminds me of my uncle (original new owner of my capri ) he is dynamite with his black enamel paint and 1/2" brush, # ucking stuff was everywhere under the bonnet and the bumpers took a hit too , several coats deep , probly re-coated every time he blacked the tires......and the bumper overiders.......and the mud flaps and the boot spoiler , oh :P have you got a tartan blanket over the back seats? :lol:
Oh ,just seen on tv ,Caroline Flack, thats sad ,what a shame :cry: