Will they notice!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Will they notice!

Post by Mc Tool »

Some of it is avoidable .....after setting up the weld and wriggling into position if a ball of weld spatter lands on me 1/2 way thru the weld rather than stop welding and do the dance I tend to grin and bear it.....swearin a lot helps.....just ask the neighbour :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 pm Guess that's why the instructions say wear gloves at all times. Maybe next time :lol:
I just can't bring myself to weld without wearing both gloves! And no bare arms either. And I am not a fan of the position the tip and close your eyes to weld technique either.

Cheap fire blankets make excellent weld screens to drape over areas to avoid spatter/grinding sparks.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Could you not have welded it from above Peter? Welding upside down isn’t fun at the best of times (I have the scars to prove it!) but especially not if you’re new to it. It’s not a gasless mig is it?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

mjcapri wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 am Could you not have welded it from above Peter? Welding upside down isn’t fun at the best of times (I have the scars to prove it!) but especially not if you’re new to it. It’s not a gasless mig is it?
I'm not a glutton for punishment Mark! I did weld 90% of it from inside the car but a couple of bits needed attention from underneath.
Yes, cheap gasless mig as recommended by Dave Truck. Hopefully it won't get a lot of use :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 am I just can't bring myself to weld without wearing both gloves! And no bare arms either. An
Me too, overalls, gauntlets and a full face helmet - but even then it still, somehow, manages to get in your ear, up your sleeve, in your shoe :o Admittedly the only welding I`ve ever done has been underneath cars so worst case really.
Agree with Peter, there are some bits that can only be done from underneath to get a water-trap free repair. Unfortunately!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:46 pm Nick job there peter , hope she passes the MOT now

:D :D

So chatting with the tester after he had given me the pass I asked him about a hole in the floor.
You haven't got one he said! So I showed him the pic and asked if that would have been a fail. His reply was that he would have to get his measuring tape out to double check the distance to mounting points but, apart from being a little surprised that I had found the problem in the first place, he was pretty sure that it would have been OK :o
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Well done on MOT passs Peter. You did the best thing by welding the hole, whether or not it would have passed.

I've got to do my 2.0S in exactly the same place and on both sides and I've already done my Laser there as well!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:applaud: Well done peter Iam glad she passed . You must have done a very good job if he never noticed . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

After doing a few repairs of this sort ( I took on a Fiat 132 :doh: :turd: :banghead: :swear: :banghead: :swear: :turd: :swear: :turd: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:) ( :nopity: ) I say , have a good look at the affected area and the surface condition of adjacent area , the position you would need to contort yourself into , and the actual amount of welding needed to fill all the rusty holes , and think about how easier it might be to just cut out a whole section , make a new bit and weld it in . If you go back to clean metal you aint trying ot weld rust ( cant get to the other side to clean it ) so the welding is easier and cleaner (less spatter ) and you get a better neater job :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Congrats on the MOT pass, Peter.
Here's to another year of fun motoring! :cheers:

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Peter-S wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:46 pm Nick job there peter , hope she passes the MOT now

:D :D

So chatting with the tester after he had given me the pass I asked him about a hole in the floor.
You haven't got one he said! So I showed him the pic and asked if that would have been a fail. His reply was that he would have to get his measuring tape out to double check the distance to mounting points but, apart from being a little surprised that I had found the problem in the first place, he was pretty sure that it would have been OK :o
Hmmm, so maybe he was embarrassed he'd missed it?
What were you thinking?! Pointing it out!!! :xd:

I'd be going somewhere different next year just in case he's waiting for his revenge. :whistle:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Bug wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:35 am
Hmmm, so maybe he was embarrassed he'd missed it?
What were you thinking?! Pointing it out!!! :xd:

I'd be going somewhere different next year just in case he's waiting for his revenge. :whistle:
Go somewhere else??? :shock:

I had my first Capri back in 1984 and took it to the same garage. The owners now are the sons of the owner back then. One or other of them has done all 19 MOTs on the car in my ownership and have always been helpful if a small tweak gets a pass on the day.
I'm sure the repair didn't go unnoticed as it was covered in fresh paint and sealant :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:06 am I'm sure the repair didn't go unnoticed as it was covered in fresh paint and sealant
I once had a tester complain because I had painted & undersealed the repair, he reckoned it should have been presented for re-test `bare` so that the quality of work was visible, presumably if it required a good continuous weld around the entire perimeter rather than half a dozen crappy spot welds, how can they tell if it`s covered up? Admittedly, that`s the only time, but I can see their point. (Brother`s Punto, fortunately had stage by stage pics on my camera so he did let it go)
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 am
Peter-S wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:06 am I'm sure the repair didn't go unnoticed as it was covered in fresh paint and sealant
I once had a tester complain because I had painted & undersealed the repair, he reckoned it should have been presented for re-test `bare` so that the quality of work was visible, presumably if it required a good continuous weld around the entire perimeter rather than half a dozen crappy spot welds, how can they tell if it`s covered up? Admittedly, that`s the only time, but I can see their point. (Brother`s Punto, fortunately had stage by stage pics on my camera so he did let it go)
Where do you draw the line on that though. If you repair something 6 months before a test should you still leave it untreated?
I can understand if it is a repair following a fail but otherwise …
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:10 pm can understand if it is a repair following a fail but otherwise …
Yes, that was the case.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Round here after repair is done and underseal on , we give it a good coating of diesel and go for a drive down a gravel road.....looks old real quick :D
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Hamish,
you need a dry dusty road for that: I live in Manchester, UK :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

:xd: What do you mean ,no gravel roads around Manchester ,or ,it doesn't stop raining long enough for them to dry out. :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Both! ;)
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

On the other hand, surely the tester can only test/fail what can be seen? If it appears in good condition from the other side of the underseal they surely cannot fail it?

As to dirt roads... Did once hear of someone who had a few iffy bits on the underside. They stripped and re sealed the best bit. Tester concentrated on that and seemed satisfied, so didn't prod and poke at the grotty crumbly stuff!