How do we make an all electric capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: How do we make an all electric capri

Post by stevemarl »

I know this could never happen, economies would collapse, but if you`re going to ultimately ban petrol cars why not say, `OK from tomorrow NO new cars of any kind`. The planet is heaving with cars, there are now plenty to go round: the UK esp. is becoming gridlocked with them. If you stopped supplying new, the numbers would gradually decrease due to natural wastage, imperceptibly slowly, people would gradually adapt. There would be jobs created in refurbishing/repair, and you`d be saving masses of CO2. from stopping manufacture (It may even stop Audis driving like tw@ts if they thought replacing it could be problematic?) No need to build all the power stations, ifrastructure, battery plants etc, kids would maybe lose some of their blubber by walking again. All the EV stuff is really just shifting the problem somewhere else, at the end of the day, as Major Tom said, we all need to stop consuming: the US needs 4 additional planets to keep up with its rate of consumption, it just cannot go on forever as it is.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

For their own egotistical objective some waste of space will probably start slowly by stealth, increase the fuel duty and VED for our cars in the name of the planet, whilst blatantly ripping up ancient forests, wildlife habitats, country villages for HS2, just so that 9 to 5-ers can get another 27 minutes in their beds of a morning- even when there is a massive switch to working from home, high speed broadband.
This is a complete joke. I’m glad Tesla is recalling their cars.
:ford:
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

80s-new-man wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 am whilst blatantly ripping up ancient forests, wildlife habitats, country villages for HS2, just so that 9 to 5-ers can get another 27 minutes in their beds of a morning- even when there is a massive switch to working from home, high speed broadband.
Absolutely spot on, agree 100%! It`s not needed, and the cost?
I posted before about this, but I heard recently it`s costing £350m a mile to build! (Which given the 100+Bn total, would fit, with a few 10s of billions over for stations etc) Thats £190,000 per *yard! No words.

*that`s about a metre for you SI people ;)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

My question about this whole phase-out of ten years or however long it will be is what happens when there are still petrol cars after that? How can they justify historic cars just being off the road forever now rather than before?

If a Model T has been around for 100 years already, I can't imagine the government just accept that you can't have these pieces of history anymore?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm My question about this whole phase-out of ten years or however long it will be is what happens when there are still petrol cars after that? How can they justify historic cars just being off the road forever now rather than before?

If a Model T has been around for 100 years already, I can't imagine the government just accept that you can't have these pieces of history anymore?
Excellent point Danny, and I just think that they are that engrossed in being seen to do the 'right' thing, that they simply don't know because they haven't given this enough thought.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

D366Y wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm
Who knows Danny. Think steam engines. Banned over night from mainline railways at the end of the 60s. Maybe combustion engines will be consigned to private roads and special events.
Personally I can't see the proposed time scale working. As Paul says, 40m cars is a lot. To get them out of the system second hand buyers need to be able to get cheap vehicles. There's still a lot of cars around over 10 years old and that will continue as older cars are generally pretty reliable. Imagine actually banning all of them, the country would grind to a halt!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I've been thinking the exact same thing to be honest - they can't really expect to get rid of 40m cars in ten years? Especially if our rate of car purchasing increases as we all get more cars, bigger families, bigger population etc. and there will be even more cars to phase out?

Also, if Peter's point is a possible thought for them, what private road could you possibly drive the cars on apart from your own land? And how would an electric car manage to trailer an old car to a car show? Even more in this hypothetical, what would be the point of having a car show if none of them are allowed to run as fuel is only available on the black market?? :lol:

I was chatting to someone in the office today about the possibility of converting cars to run on ethanol instead as it would be cleaner than petrol but still retain an engine and not be battery operated, but I think that technology is even further off as I can't see that being an easy conversion...

Either way the whole thing is a farce and I can't wait to watch it all backfire in 10-15 years time :cheers:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

IIRC the first cars, Model Ts etc, could run on Ethanol, Benzene or Petrol, awhatever was available locally, as pre cars there were no `gas` stations - but you could buy ethanol (ethyl alcohol) from a chemist (or your local moonshine brewer) So converting to ethanol would be relatively easy cf EVs. Brazil uses 85% ethanol now, have done for years, as they have a huge availability of sugarey crops to produce it cheaply. It`s all about money. Wouldn`t recommend Benzene though...
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:05 pm I was chatting to someone in the office today about the possibility of converting cars to run on ethanol instead as it would be cleaner than petrol but still retain an engine and not be battery operated, but I think that technology is even further off as I can't see that being an easy conversion...
Danny,
I thought it was mostly Brazil, but seems US and Europe too.
From Wikipedia:
E85, a mixture of 85% ethanol and ~15% gasoline, is generally the highest ethanol fuel mixture found in the United States and several European countries, particularly in Sweden, as this blend is the standard fuel for flexible-fuel vehicles. This mixture has an octane rating of 108, however, the Ethanol molecule also carries with it an Oxygen atom, -where-as Octane (A.K.A Gasoline) does not carry an Oxygen atom- effectively requiring the internal combustion engine to ingest less air per unit-volume by its own accord, which reduces pumping losses, and further increases the exo-thermic chemical reaction. Ethanol fuel is considered – although not widely known as – a form of "chemical supercharging", similar to that of Nitrous Oxide (N2O) & Nitromethane (CH3NO2).

As of October 2010, nearly 3,000 E85 fuel pumps were in Europe, led by Sweden with 1,699 filling stations.[109][110] The United States had 3,354 public E85 fuel pumps located in 2,154 cities by August 2014, mostly concentrated in the Midwest.[111]
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Im getting an electric clutch for my crapi, so thats a start ....AND Im getting some other mug to pay for it :applaud: .. Also getting a new leg with an electro/ hydraulic knee ,and , yep some other bugger is paying for that too.......been a good day :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 pm
I am just hoping something terrible happens to Greta Thunberg and all of these NEW vegans get sick. I get fed up of virtuous people preaching, when they are all hypocrites
Indeedy... I suppose instead of having proper paper notes we could start using millions of tons of plastic to make them instead, just like electric cars...
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
pbar

Post by pbar »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:53 am
I have a cunning plan! Going to buy myself a portable generator
Very apt that I stumbled across this Martin -

In fact it's a very interesting youtube clip where they test manufacturers claims on electric car travelling distances on one charge -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm
D366Y wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:05 pm I was chatting to someone in the office today about the possibility of converting cars to run on ethanol instead as it would be cleaner than petrol but still retain an engine and not be battery operated, but I think that technology is even further off as I can't see that being an easy conversion...
Danny,
I thought it was mostly Brazil, but seems US and Europe too.
From Wikipedia:
E85, a mixture of 85% ethanol and ~15% gasoline, is generally the highest ethanol fuel mixture found in the United States and several European countries, particularly in Sweden, as this blend is the standard fuel for flexible-fuel vehicles. This mixture has an octane rating of 108, however, the Ethanol molecule also carries with it an Oxygen atom, -where-as Octane (A.K.A Gasoline) does not carry an Oxygen atom- effectively requiring the internal combustion engine to ingest less air per unit-volume by its own accord, which reduces pumping losses, and further increases the exo-thermic chemical reaction. Ethanol fuel is considered – although not widely known as – a form of "chemical supercharging", similar to that of Nitrous Oxide (N2O) & Nitromethane (CH3NO2).

As of October 2010, nearly 3,000 E85 fuel pumps were in Europe, led by Sweden with 1,699 filling stations.[109][110] The United States had 3,354 public E85 fuel pumps located in 2,154 cities by August 2014, mostly concentrated in the Midwest.[111]
Might take a road trip to Sweden to try out their fuel then!
This seems like a much better idea imo
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

80s-new-man wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:48 pm Love the posts on this ! :agree:
Absolutely sick to the bone of aggressive so called climate activists who obviously think drilling the oceans for another (rarer) mineral is going to change anything.
We are responsible for 1% of the world’s emissions but are leaders in offshore wind.
A shit looking characterless electric car is filled with a cart load of plastic, battery , motor and all the electrical crap and gadgetry that is 46% of its total lifetime carbon consumption , far more than a conventional car.
Plus it doesn’t smell like a proper car.

It’s obvious if you repair, recycle and carry on using any object, especially a classic, rather than throwing it away you are stopping that new manufacturing process and consumption. Besides, I take exception to the boring spoilers of this country trying to take away my enjoyment of the only real passion I have, that’s older cars, petrol, diesel, oil, pumps, gallons, pints and anything else.
After voting for this government I am now all of a sudden betrayed, having the prospect of a race to ban my freedom to enjoy cars like a ticking time bomb.
For that, I’m going to make sure I burn as much petrol as possible, and probably buy a Sierra or Granada 2.9 to compliment the Capri as well just to annoy those pent up , sanctimonious, electro dickheads.
:lol:DA7236AC-FECE-47B2-A426-41288CCC81F4.jpeg
Well said. I think we're getting too docile and ignorant, but wierdly sort of ignorant whilst armed with information but no sense behind it. Its really creepy, I know loads of quite smart guys and girls that recycle, buy special toilet paper, eat vegan, all that stuff, lip service basically. But then they jump on a plane 4 times a year and buy new cars, shoes from China, all this horrendous stuff at enormous environmental cost. So they convince themselves theyre being good while being precisely the problem. Really quite frightening, mass delusion.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm And isn't there one at Bruntingthorpe that still does taxy runs?
Just reading that Bruntingthorpe is presently closed to the public. Apparently the owners want the aircraft off site. Another Victor potentially under threat :(
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 pm
I am just hoping something terrible happens to Greta Thunberg and all of these NEW vegans get sick. I get fed up of virtuous people preaching, when they are all hypocrites
Well I did read somewhere that vegiterians and especially vegans do generally keep poorer health. Jeeze , the human body is designed and equipped to eat meat. Vegeterians and vegans are not natural or normal...( Like they would have you believe , pious twats )......ya only gotta spend a couple of mins with one to see that.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 pm the human body is designed and equipped to eat meat.
I don't think it is you know, that's why we have to cook it before we eat it. No other animal has to do that.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

:D I eat raw fish ,damn near raw steak ,ham and bacon :xd: .....with my canine teeth ,and I digest it with my enzymes .
We cook vegetables too . Human ancestors have been cooking meat for at least 1.8 million years.......long time to be eating something that isnt natural . Eating meat is as instinctive as walking upright. :xd: try feeding a starving sheep steak ,or a starving dog hay :D instinct tells them it isnt food. I dunno how to explain pica :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
We don`t have to cook it, you can eat it raw, but it`s much more easily broken down so metabolised quicker, (plus it kills bugs) if it is cooked, all of which was a survival advantage back in the caves . Also there are no animals that are able to make fire so they don`t cook their meat for that reason. ;) We are omniverous, we have canines, in pre-history we hunted and ate meat, we`re not meant to eat only plants (although we can), vegans especially can have issues. My nieces tried, both had to give it up in the end cos it was affecting their health.
It`s all about balance, a bit of this a bit of that and nothing in excess.
Paul, just gone into Deb mode (you know what I mean): group of hedgehogs sat around a camp fire roasting a vole :D
Last edited by stevemarl on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 pm I digest it with my enzymes
Well, hydrochloric acid as well ;)