How do we make an all electric capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: How do we make an all electric capri

Post by pbar »

There are almost 40 million registered vehicles in the UK. Imagine if all those were electric, on a Sunday evening they are all being charged up for the working week ahead, really, can our electric providers cope with that in an age where even traditional light bulbs can't be sold anymore with low energy ones being forced on us instead due to power savings.

And how do you go on if you live in a block of flats? Sit and queue and wait at a public charging point for a while?
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

pbar wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 am There are almost 40 million registered vehicles in the UK. Imagine if all those were electric, on a Sunday evening they are all being charged up for the working week ahead, really, can our electric providers cope with that in an age where even traditional light bulbs can't be sold anymore with low energy ones being forced on us instead due to power savings.

And how do you go on if you live in a block of flats? Sit and queue and wait at a public charging point for a while?
I have a cunning plan! Going to buy myself a portable generator and wander the streets offering a charging service to the owners of electric cars.
I would ask for enough money to cover my time and the cost of.....................the...........err..............petrol...........for the .............err.................generator..................... Oh yeah, there's the flaw :doh:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Actually Martin if you could find an alternate fuel for a generator you could really be onto something there! A portable home charging service, many would go for that.

I'm surprised people don't have petrol deliveries at home to avoid having to go and fill up themselves in this sit-at-home-and-have-everything-delivered world.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:19 am A portable home charging service, many would go for that.
You can guarantee that will come, a guy in a van who can come out and rescue charge your stranded EV, for a price. As you say there are 40m vehicles (according to `Britains Parking Hell` 32m cars) and only 8m parking spaces. Again, as you say, how are they all going to charge their cars if they don`t even have space to park??? A woman on Question Time said she had an EV and the only public charging points in her town have cars queuing already. Point is, a petrol car takes a minute or so to refill, an EV takes hour(s). So 2 in front means several hours queue - how will that possibly work?
We can`t go on using fossil fuels, that`s just a fact, but how we`re going to seamlessly morph over to electric is beyond me. People are going to have to give up their cars, or at least the 3 car family, but who`s gonna implement that?
Last edited by stevemarl on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul, you and I have both GOT generators.... Dragons Den? ;)
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am A woman on Question Time said she had an EV and the only public charging points in her town have cars queuing already.
I saw that, which is what sparked my flats question. She's had an electric car for 4 years (it's not that new all this don't forget), lives in a flat so has to charge publicly. And there are only 2 places in her area, with constant queues, so total hassle and a waste of time for her, as it would be for many.

On Top Gear, they were championing the new electric Porshce (£140,000!) and that it will go 200 miles on a full charge which takes 20 mins. But, this 20 minute charge is only on a high wattage system, of which there are only 4 in the UK! Charging at a normal charger takes a full day apparently, so again pretty useless.

Too cost prohibitive all this. Cars too expensive. with no chance of ever buying an older quick cheap runaround as the batteries will be knackered, and the currently free public chargers will be no more obviously.
Bug

Post by Bug »

My mind is full of daft ideas now!

A replacement wheel that has a two stroke engine mounted on it, with gearing etc.
Whip off a wheel, stick that one on and trundle home.

Why hasn't the wind-up radio bloke come up with a system that creates enough power to recharge the car.
Plus point to this is that everyone would be a lot fitter by the time they've wound their car up.

Houses at the bottom of hills would leap up in price as you could freewheel home :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am A replacement wheel that has a two stroke engine mounted on it, with gearing etc.
Whip off a wheel, stick that one on and trundle home.
Only problem is, how many people now even know how to change a wheel??
Seriously, this is why there will always be a need for some petrol/diesel, as you will still need to tow the stranded EVs.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am
Why hasn't the wind-up radio bloke come up with a system
Actually another valid point that is Martin. There will be a need for a back up power reserve, I mean just look at the amount of people who let their phones die, I know loads. Wind up may actually be the way to go, as in the radio you mention, torches, cycle dynamo for lights, etc.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Bug wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm I am the Technical Author and Compliance Coordinator for a firm that builds wood chippers.
You haven't got a yard with enough space for Marham's Victor have you :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Bug

Post by Bug »

Peter-S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:32 pm
Bug wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm I am the Technical Author and Compliance Coordinator for a firm that builds wood chippers.
You haven't got a yard with enough space for Marham's Victor have you :lol:
Sadly no.
Shame if it gets broken up.
Used to pass it every day when I went to and from the squadron.
When I first got posted to Marham, way back in 1985, there were still two operational squadrons, 55 & 57.
Try sleeping off night shift with those beggars taking off! Maybe not the peak noise levels of a Tonka, but it went on for ages!
I think they already have one at Duxford, so they won't want it.
And isn't there one at Bruntingthorpe that still does taxy runs?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm And isn't there one at Bruntingthorpe that still does taxy runs?
That's some ride. Most of the cab drivers around here have to make do with an old Toyota Avensis……. :)

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm [
Sadly no.
Shame if it gets broken up.
Used to pass it every day when I went to and from the squadron.
When I first got posted to Marham, way back in 1985, there were still two operational squadrons, 55 & 57.
Try sleeping off night shift with those beggars taking off! Maybe not the peak noise levels of a Tonka, but it went on for ages!
I think they already have one at Duxford, so they won't want it.
And isn't there one at Bruntingthorpe that still does taxy runs?
Yes, the one at Brunty was the one that flew 'by accident' a few years back.
I think the Elvington example is still live.
Cosford has one in that crappy 'Cold War' hangar
and one at Duxford as you say - currently in bits in the restoration hangar.
Think that's it though

Just read Johnny Vegas saying he will save the Marham example if no one else does. Hope he has a big garden and a large trailer then!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Love the posts on this ! :agree:
Absolutely sick to the bone of aggressive so called climate activists who obviously think drilling the oceans for another (rarer) mineral is going to change anything.
We are responsible for 1% of the world’s emissions but are leaders in offshore wind.
A shit looking characterless electric car is filled with a cart load of plastic, battery , motor and all the electrical crap and gadgetry that is 46% of its total lifetime carbon consumption , far more than a conventional car.
Plus it doesn’t smell like a proper car.

It’s obvious if you repair, recycle and carry on using any object, especially a classic, rather than throwing it away you are stopping that new manufacturing process and consumption. Besides, I take exception to the boring spoilers of this country trying to take away my enjoyment of the only real passion I have, that’s older cars, petrol, diesel, oil, pumps, gallons, pints and anything else.
After voting for this government I am now all of a sudden betrayed, having the prospect of a race to ban my freedom to enjoy cars like a ticking time bomb.
For that, I’m going to make sure I burn as much petrol as possible, and probably buy a Sierra or Granada 2.9 to compliment the Capri as well just to annoy those pent up , sanctimonious, electro dickheads.
:lol:
Fill her up!!!
Fill her up!!!
DA7236AC-FECE-47B2-A426-41288CCC81F4.jpeg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Does anyone know where the tax lost on petrol and diesel will come from and how much will it be to recycle the duff batteries, with there be an ECO tax on this
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

Hmm, well as I read it the ban on ICE engines starts at the date and so it doesn't mean gas-powered cars "will be illegal". There would be a ten-year run-down as the vehicle parc depletes and some vestigial petrol pump network would remain to fuel visiting plus existing vehicles and diesel-powered trucks.

It's also a consultative doc and so several elections away, during which lobbying would impact the politicians. The public would begin to rebel if the actual cost of a non-subsidized EV were 20% higher or the range issues made it impossible to run in a remote region.

As for converting a Capri or any other classic then forget it. The body structure of a car designed fifty years ago is comically weak compared to today's cars. Chopping them about to stick a large and heavy battery in them would compromise the structural integrity to such an extent as to make it not just nigh-on impossible to engineer elegantly, but also to make it unsafe. Imagine an old classic lobbing a huge battery about in an accident and the impact that mass would cause, plus fire risk!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Steve Saxty wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 am
As for converting a Capri or any other classic then forget it.
I know someone who is converting an Austin 7 to electric.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Steve Saxty wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 am Chopping them about to stick a large and heavy battery in them would compromise the structural integrity to such an extent as to make it not just nigh-on impossible to engineer elegantly, but also to make it unsafe.
But surely if you were prepared to, for example, lose the back seats, you have 400lbs of mass carrying there without any structural mods, I`ve had two adults in the back without it snapping. We`re not talking restoring full functionality, or doing John`o`Groats to Lands End, but enough to go for a run out on a Sunday or the odd show. In any case, in 10/20 years when this will become an issue, batteries will be probably be 1/4 the mass/volume they are now? I can`t see why it won`t be done, accepting that there will be compromises.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 pm
Bug wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm And isn't there one at Bruntingthorpe that still does taxy runs?
That's some ride. Most of the cab drivers around here have to make do with an old Toyota Avensis……. :)

Andrew.
Oh come on Andrew! I specifically checked I'd written 'taxy' not 'taxi'.

You could say I was uber careful :xd: