dent puller ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

dent puller ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Has anyone had experience of using DIY dent extractor kits, the glue gun & puller type ? I managed to collect an annoying small dent on my everyday car's rear wheelarch and am thinking of giving it a go.

The last time i did any dent removal was years ago when I borrowed a set of panel beating dollies and hammers which went quite well. I cant use panel beating really on this one though as there isnt enough space to get in between the inner and outer wheel arch. Ive heard these glue on dent extractors mentioned and seen them on Ebay for around £ 40 but do they work ?
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Re: dent puller ?

Post by caprikid61 »

I have used one of those dent pullers on my capri a few years back , I hit a deer so the drivers wing had a huge dent and the front of the wings was also dented. I went onto e bay and ordered one of the kits you mentioned and was so glad I did, the results were amazing I found the kit very easy to use so I would highly recommend getting one .
The only slight problem I found was there are around ten glue sticks with the kit that get a great hold of the metal but once I had used them I bought some other ones online but they didn't have the same sticking power, but if you get the right glue sticks they are good. The kit comes with a bridge type toold the has 2 suction pads that you put one either side of the dent with the threaded plunger in the middle that gets glued to the dent then you tighten the bold that takes out the dent .

I found that the best way is to work from the outside of the dent a small bit at a time for best results you will be surprised how much the glue sticks to the metal and how easy it is to remove when the glue has hardened. I can't remember the name of the exact kit I bought but I guess they should all be good but it's all about getting the right glue sticks. Good luck and please keep us posted if you decide to go for it .
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello Not-Anumber & Caprikid61

Thanks for bringing up a very useful topic.
I knew that there are dent puller devices of the "weld type" but not the ones which use adhesives.

This may seam a daft question but here goes,
Caprikid61, you say that the glue was easy to remove. Was the paint damaged when the panel was dented? (Our car has a dent and the paint is intact.)

The reason I'm asking is that, if the dent comes out without the paint being damaged it's a an obvious bonus.

Regards,
STEVEW
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Stevie, yes the paint is not damaged as the glue goes solid so when you want to remove the glue you just have to use a sharp objects (supplied) and it just pings off . Those dent pullers are perfect for paint less repairs. Hope this helps ? Cheers Alex
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Thanks Alex!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Sounds good, just wondering which one to order now as some of the kits include a windable or handle operated bridge puller, slide hammer, various types of glue on tabs, an intense LED work light to improve visibility whilst pulling the dent out etc.

Not sure what are the essential bits and which will just stay in the box ?
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Is the LED light some of these kits ship with helpful or just another thing to pay for that isnt really needed ?