Bumper corners

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Bumper corners

Post by Mc Tool »

Has anyone tried bumper corners from motomobile, they are copys and not cheap either .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Bumper corners

Post by Mr B »

Hi MC,

I personally haven't tried that company but you are right their corner bumper's certainly ain't cheap, in fact none of what they sell is cheap, it would be nice to think they are expensive because of the quality, however in the world we live in......

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah I hear what your saying ,and Ive had a bit of a heads up on them , maybe not as plyable as would be good. I have my originals soaking in a bag of armourall and they have gone from grey to black again, but they might need some minor reshaping ......or I might just leave them alone ...least I "over fix " them :D
Hamish
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 am I might just leave them alone ...least I "over fix " them :D
If you want to repaint them, I can highly recommend this product:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProXL-Tex-Te ... SwKQJc9RhU

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Thanks Andrew ,I did consider painting them but......a while ago, 5years I tripped over a brand new dash pad ,which I fitted . I figured nothing to loose so I drenched the old one in armorall and it has softened up not to bad. So I went with that on the bumpers too , gee Id be surprised if paint would stick now ......but I did buy a can of that stuff :D be interesting to see which bunch of earth saving hypocrites tells me it cant be freighted :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I think I do have a spare one from Motomobil and TBH, I`m sure it`s almost indistinguishable from an O.E. I`ll try to check later to confirm.
I can second the textured paint, although I used a different brand, it`s the same idea. You can even repair the bumpers (i.e. if there`s a gouge in the plastic, repair with a flexible filler, reshape which will leave you with a smooth patch. Coating the whole area with the textured paint will then give an invisible repair. It`s as useful as Halfords Vinyl paint!
(Just in case you have trouble shipping, here`s a link to mine on ebay as an alternative. Ebay.com.au doesn`t seem to have anything like this - only from UK, which is odd?)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB-Body-Aero ... w#shpCntId

Edit: just remembered, I did get one from Germany years ago, but it was a new old stock genuine one off ebay. Sorry!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi McTool,

I can't say about the quality of the bumpers from "motomobil" and yes, some of their parts can be expensive but some can be reasonably priced.
I guess it depends on what you want and where you want it posted to.

I've bought a number of things from them and found their service excellent and most of their staff speak English.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Thanks stevew , it looks like a real treasure trove and no doubt I will wind up getting some stuff off them :D
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Most of the pattern stuff is available in the U.K, certainly, bumpers, over riders, indicators and many other parts. It doesn't matter who lists them, they all come from the same original source.
I used to stock most of it but due to the high cost of bringing it into the country and the slow turnover I didn't want large amounts of cash tied up in slow moving items.
The crazy thing is that after I accounted for price of the item, carriage etc there was actually a better profit in good secondhand items rather than new reproduction.
I do still stock some of the reproduction parts and I can get others. Some I will not stock as I don't rate them but most are very good.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:37 am
Mc Tool wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 am I might just leave them alone ...least I "over fix " them :D
If you want to repaint them, I can highly recommend this product:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProXL-Tex-Te ... SwKQJc9RhU

Andrew.
Did you use a primer first Andrew ? Or just keyed them and sprayed on top ? Cheers
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 pm Did you use a primer first Andrew ? Or just keyed them and sprayed on top ? Cheers
Hi Jason,
I used Autotek plastic primer, mainly because I also used filler to repair a little scrape. If I didn't have to do that, I would probably have just keyed the surface and used the textured paint directly on the surface.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-AUTOTEK- ... SwRoZZgwL0

I painted the front bumper corners about a year ago and the paint shows no signs of peeling.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 pm Did you use a primer first Andrew ? Or just keyed them and sprayed on top ? Cheers
Hi Jason,
I used Autotek plastic primer, mainly because I also used filler to repair a little scrape. If I didn't have to do that, I would probably have just keyed the surface and used the textured paint directly on the surface.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-AUTOTEK- ... SwRoZZgwL0

I painted the front bumper corners about a year ago and the paint shows no signs of peeling.

Andrew.
Cheers Andrew I did think you had to touch a bit up I also have small scrape on my rear :lol: thanks for that I do have some autotek plastic primer so will give that a go soon as it drys up .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: