Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm Goodness me yes, I am really glad! And even now I'd much rather be enjoying myself caked in mud than staring at a little screen.

:agree: Paul

:cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Thinking back, I would have been about 10 before I had one of these https://www.voxodyssey.com/binatone-tv-master-mk-iv/

Then the Astro Wars etc came out a little later, but before that other than battery power there were no electrical toys or games that I knew of.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I had the same Andy, it was great. The thing is though, that was in addition to the other stuff we did, playing out, etc. Not all encompassing, as it is now.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:23 pm I had the same Andy, it was great. The thing is though, that was in addition to the other stuff we did, playing out, etc. Not all encompassing, as it is now.
In dry weather we were out for hours!

When called to come in it was always "Another 10 minutes please"? :D
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

" Stephen - your tea`s going cold !!!!!"
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:40 pm Thinking back, I would have been about 10 before I had one of these https://www.voxodyssey.com/binatone-tv-master-mk-iv/

Then the Astro Wars etc came out a little later, but before that other than battery power there were no electrical toys or games that I knew of.

Yes I had one I guess it’s still in my parents loft :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm Goodness me yes, I am really glad! And even now I'd much rather be enjoying myself caked in mud than staring at a little screen.

It would be interesting to get the group on the right top say if they thought they were actually having a better time than the group on the left. Not hard to see which of the two looks happier.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:16 pm Not hard to see which of the two looks happier.
That's exactly it Peter. One picture oozes happiness, joy and fun. And the other is sombre, dull and uninspiring.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

They reckon its a generational thing . My Granddad thought the beetles were coarse thugs with offensive haircuts . His grandad would have probly thought the same about him . My mother always complained about my attire , my hair ,my lazyness ,my friends ,what I ate , my beer swilling, bla bla bla. Now I see these no hopin lank haired ,pants half off their arse ( at best ) friends with benefits ,meth snorting ,unemployable wastes of space and I wonder (worry) what the next lot will come out with , I mean I now think Ive seen it all , but then so did all the previous generations.
Sad thing , my brother came to me for an ear , youngest son ( this kid is every parents dream ) is being bullied at school, after a quick think my 1st reaction was " of course he is " .
:) He is now a very sucsessful young man
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Teenage pregnancy rates in the UK are actually falling and apparently it`s because kids no longer meet up in the real world and you can`t get pregnant on social media (as yet, Im sure there`ll be an app soon :D )
Whilst every generation reacts to the new, there are certain absolutes which are definitely different now. You never had kids committing suicide in the numbers they are now, due to exams, the pressure to `succeed`to `look right` etc. Similarly you never previously had such an epidemic of drug abuse (please don`t compare Coleridge, Shelley etc, there have always been opium dens for the rich - I`m talking every sink estate in the UK. Christ, a bit of weed was absolutely all that was available at university in the `70s, and that was really, really rebellious.
Nor did you get 16 year old girls wanting boob /nose/ lip jobs, the start of a lifelong struggle to be `perfect.` Every previous generation had to make the best of what they had (yet didn`t end up on the end of a rope), now if you can borrow the money somebody will refashion any part of your body...
I think there are real differences this time, and it`s not good.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:06 pm I had the plastic clips on the wheels that made that noise :lol:
We used ice lolly sticks to do this Jason. Times were hard :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 pm I think there are real differences this time, and it`s not good.
Exactly right Steve. And in addition to what you have written there, every other kid these days (and adults!) seem to have mental health issues and labels. Growing up I don't remember hardly anyone having a mental health issue, now it seems the trend to have one.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

We were saying this the other day weren`t we, the fact that a kid who once would have been a bit boisterous, naughty even. is now `diagnosed` with a borderline personality disorder, ADHD etc. The problem being that they are then labelled possibly for life, and also, once diagnosed, it can remove an element of responsibility for actions: "it`s not him it`s his `condition`". When does a child pass over the line from the `normal spectrum` into the autistic spectrum? As you say Paul, why were there hardly any such problems in previous generations. You know Deb`s a qualified counsellor, so she`s not old school `what they need`s a bloody good hiding` she`s very aware of various mental health issues from Autism to Schizophrenia, so if she worries about labelling there must be a problem.
pbar

Post by pbar »

It's not just kids though, I know so many people who use mental health as an excuse now. It used to be a bad back that kept people off work didn't it, as it's something you cannot see/disprove, so the doctor would sign you off for a while to 'recover', although we all had someone in the street who would be off work forever with it :)

But now mental health is such a trend that you can go to the doctor complaining of stress this and anxiety that, and it's instant sign off from work for so many weeks, benefits claimed and (assuming council house) rent paid (no wonder the councils are reluctant to build new homes, they won't get their rent). In a few weeks when the note has run out, back they go with another mental health complaint and more time off. I know people who do it indefinitely.

Of course there are genuine cases, as there always are, but not so many. You give these things so much publicity that it helps them to spread.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I know, we have a neighbour who I`ve known for must be 20 years now, and he`s a lovely guy, but in all that time he`s never worked, the story was `back trouble`. I`m sure there must be jobs where, I don`t know, you sit in a chair all day? :lol:

"go to the doctor complaining of stress this and anxiety that, and it's instant sign off from work " Imagine WW2 now? Makes me want to embrace that whole generation - truly my heroes!

(Just for the record, I suffered from anxiety attacks myself after a brush with death (my brother wrote off his Capri on the East Lancs). Full blown, blacking out, the works. Maybe a dozen times a day, no trigger, just like a fog coming down. Valium, to me, saved my life. So I`m absolutely NOT someone who`s unsympathetic to real mental health issues. But I carried on working through it as being out in tthe world actually helped me carry on; had I NOT been able to carry on with some semblance of normality, I don`t know what I`d have become. )
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:16 pm But I carried on working through it as being out in the world actually helped me carry on; had I NOT been able to carry on with some semblance of normality, I don`t know what I`d have become. )
You 'got on with it' then Steve, full credit to you. That's the adult version of 'they need a good hiding'. Doctor's should be allowed to say that instead of all this namby pamby-ness - just get on with it.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

It seems quite fashionable to have some sort of disorder ,not nessessarily to avoid work but as a point of difference .... like some of the stupid ,or woefully misspelt classic names parents inflict on their obviously superior offspring . Food allergies too . Some kids get everything they want , they no longer fail at anything ,,there are no losers, and they arrive at adolesance having been fully accomadated ......and then they meet a person who dares to say "no" to them and doesnt back down , then it hits the fan . To make things worse we now have law makers and do goodies enabling them .
Trouble is it not just the kids ,we are being told that we are to accept things like gender reassignment and homosexuallity ( for example ) as the norm.....and even make special allowances for them . There was a person here not so long ago with a car issue.....(s)he only made it to the 2nd sentence of their post before telling us they were trans gender, (before saying what was wrong with the car) ,something I really didnt need to know, but there it is being shoved in my face straight up.
Joke , q how can you tell if someone is vegeterian ? .......a , dont worry about it ,they will tell you within minutes :lol:

Its getting damn dangerous to have an opinion too ( as Im sure I will be told again soon )
On the other hand , I am disabled ( a term I dislike in my case ) I have only one leg (above knee amp ) and I am heartened by the amount of people offering help , actually I get a bit sick of it but the point is there are still lots of good people out there wanting to help someone else , and to be fair I dont look like the sort of person you'd want your daughter marrying :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

One of the good things about being a bit of a hoarder. The Pong stories from a couple of days ago made me dig this lot out, all still in working order. They might be worth something in another 50 years? Interesting point though, I remember the very first time I saw a Pong machine, in the Seymour Hotel with a queue of people waiting to use it! BUT it was a social activity, a bit of fun with your mates, not the kind of solitary hours and hours in your bedroom killing people that games have become.
Later there was this:
then I was given 2 of these, this one still with box & all packing etc
And these, Arkanoid was brilliant:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:26 pm we are being told that we are to accept things like gender reassignment and homosexuallity ( for example ) as the norm.....and even make special allowances for them . There was a person here not so long ago with a car issue.....(s)he only made it to the 2nd sentence of their post before telling us they were trans gender, (before saying what was wrong with the car) ,something I really didnt need to know, but there it is being shoved in my face straight up.
I get what you`re saying. I think gay people, pre `67, would have been quite happy to be able to quietly get on with their lives with the same rights as everyone else in the community, ie without fear of prosecution for loving the `wrong` gender! Which is quite right, it shouldn`t be an issue as it affects no-one else. That`s where it differs from today, and what many people DO find offensive, the LGBTQ+ `community`. So it`s not a matter of being accepted and welcomed for being just another human being - it`s now a community outside the general populace, a `club` where being gay is celebrated, almost as though it`s a cool lifestyle choice? I know people will not agree with me but I do feel the pendulum has swung too far the other way: gay people should be seen as normal not in any way special or celebrated. IMHO.
Also, I kind of understand why an adult who feels they were born into the wrong body would have the ops. It`s not somrthing you`d go through for fun and if it improves their lives good luck to them - you`re only here once! It`s not hurting anyone. I do however have huge concerns about kids (ie teens) who are basically confused and could possibly resolve their issues through therapy etc, are now seeing this as a straightforward option, as you say `normalised`. That is bad. (Of course there are people who would accuse me of being a transgenderphobic bigot for suggesting that re-assignment may NOT be the best course...)
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am The Pong stories from a couple of days ago made me dig this lot out
Superb :) Great collection there Steve, just looking at them exudes enjoyment and fun. As you rightly say, not the solitary-intense-serious-anxious mindset of today's screen users.

That box of games - makes me want to dive in and pick one out to play!