Axle location kit help

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12979
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 pm

I'll just leave this photo here.... :lol:

Image

Andrew.
Image

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mc Tool » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Read the post Wayne.
The toyota wagon, I said it rode better with weight in the back, never said it went faster.
The diesel van ,I said was quicker overall , and it was . The extra weight in the back improved handling enough to maintain higher cornering speed thusly getting from point A to point B QUICKER .
I suspect that if Ferrari and Lamborgini
were to make vehicles capable of carting a load of half a ton or so (as are the vehicles I mention above ) they would probably forget about power to weight ratio's in favour of more practical aspects.
Wanna have another go .
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mc Tool » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 pm
I'll just leave this photo here.... :lol:

Image

Andrew.
Ah yes , the practical mans axle location kit.
( I want to ask how much faster it goes......but that would just be stirring :xd: )
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

Mr B
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 am
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mr B » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am

All I'm saying is that I don't think there is much substance to the reputation the Capri has for handling, I do believe it's the driver that cannot handle the vehicle, for example, in a world population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?

Let's look at the demographic that the Capri was really aimed at, young guy's trying to be Sterling Moss and pull the girls by acting the big man and showing off in their Capri's......and then promptly losing control and crashing them.

On YouTube there are loads of video's showing driver's losing control of Ferrari's, Lamborghinis etc. hell even formula 1 driver's lose control of their cars and spin out but these incidents happen because of driver error which brings me back to the fact that's it's unfair to blame the car for one's own shortcomings.

I have owned Capri's for 30 year's without incident and I've certainly never put concrete in the boot and I definitely don't have the skill set of Lewis Hamilton, I've had most of the range from the docile 1300cc to having a 500+ BHP small block Chevy (which was frightening quick)

I always gave the car's respect and I certainly knew my own limitations, I'm a firm believer in the old saying that 'A bad workmen always blames his tools"

Wayne
Reserving the right to disagree

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7216
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Major_Tom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?
Because not many people have £££££££££££££££ my man.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7216
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Major_Tom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 pm
I'll just leave this photo here.... :lol:

Image

Andrew.
Totally wrong. Unbelievable.

Everyone knows it paving slabs!
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12979
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
for example, in a world population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?
I've got to step in here and point out that a career in motor racing is, generally speaking, all about finance. The vast majority of F1 drivers are there not because they are regarded as one of the world's most talented drivers at that given moment, but simply because they bring enough sponsorship money to secure that drive. There's only a handful of top drivers who would get paid by the teams to race. A lot of very talented drivers fall by the wayside in junior formulae because of an inability to obtain enough funds for their careers to progress.
Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
these incidents happen because of driver error which brings me back to the fact that's it's unfair to blame the car for one's own shortcomings
I actually agree with Wayne on this point. I sometimes hear people saying things like "if you haven't lost the back end of a Capri you're not driving fast enough", but surely we're simply driving within the capabilities of the car? It's a bit foolhardy to exceed those limits on the road. That's my view anyway.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7216
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Major_Tom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:11 pm


I've got to step in here and point out that a career in motor racing is, generally speaking, all about finance. The vast majority of F1 drivers are there not because they are regarded as one of the world's most talented drivers at that given moment, but simply because they bring enough sponsorship money to secure that drive. There's only a handful of top drivers who would get paid by the teams to race. A lot of very talented drivers fall by the wayside in junior formulae because of an inability to obtain enough funds for their careers to progress.
A more comprehensive answer than mine :lol:
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Mr B
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 am
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mr B » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Major_Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm
Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?
Because not many people have £££££££££££££££ my man.
Hi mate, I get what you mean and I won't pretend to be an expert on the world of Formula 1 but you would hope that talent scout's could spot potentially great driver's of the future and then the sponsors come in, please correct me if this isn't how it works - The world of Formula 1 has always been something of a mystery to me.

But just say I got to drive Hamilton's F1 title winning car (sadly I wouldn't fit in it!) Would I be able to drive it like he does, do I have the skill to drive it like he does, Nope, I'd be dead within about 45 seconds I think but that would not make his car a badly designed car it just means I don't have the skills necessary to drive it.

Wayne
Reserving the right to disagree

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 12979
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Another quick point about the axle location kit. I'm perfectly happy to drive within the limits of the car as it is and not try to make it into something it wasn't designed to be. Others have a differing view and that's fine. It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by D366Y » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm
It would be a boring world if we al had the same opinions.

Andrew.
At least then I wouldn't have to listen to people bleat on about Brexit :lol:

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4262
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by stevemarl » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:09 pm

And on public roads?

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4896
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Fordoholic Nick » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:54 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm
It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

:sorry: ....could not resist this Andrew :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mc Tool » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 am

Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
All I'm saying is that I don't think there is much substance to the reputation the Capri has for handling, I do believe it's the driver that cannot handle the vehicle, for example, in a world population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?

Let's look at the demographic that the Capri was really aimed at, young guy's trying to be Sterling Moss and pull the girls by acting the big man and showing off in their Capri's......and then promptly losing control and crashing them.

On YouTube there are loads of video's showing driver's losing control of Ferrari's, Lamborghinis etc. hell even formula 1 driver's lose control of their cars and spin out but these incidents happen because of driver error which brings me back to the fact that's it's unfair to blame the car for one's own shortcomings.

I have owned Capri's for 30 year's without incident and I've certainly never put concrete in the boot and I definitely don't have the skill set of Lewis Hamilton, I've had most of the range from the docile 1300cc to having a 500+ BHP small block Chevy (which was frightening quick)

I always gave the car's respect and I certainly knew my own limitations, I'm a firm believer in the old saying that 'A bad workmen always blames his tools"

Wayne
Wow , that was a long winded load of crap
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

Mr B
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 am
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mr B » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 am

Mc Tool wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 am
Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
All I'm saying is that I don't think there is much substance to the reputation the Capri has for handling, I do believe it's the driver that cannot handle the vehicle, for example, in a world population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?

Let's look at the demographic that the Capri was really aimed at, young guy's trying to be Sterling Moss and pull the girls by acting the big man and showing off in their Capri's......and then promptly losing control and crashing them.

On YouTube there are loads of video's showing driver's losing control of Ferrari's, Lamborghinis etc. hell even formula 1 driver's lose control of their cars and spin out but these incidents happen because of driver error which brings me back to the fact that's it's unfair to blame the car for one's own shortcomings.

I have owned Capri's for 30 year's without incident and I've certainly never put concrete in the boot and I definitely don't have the skill set of Lewis Hamilton, I've had most of the range from the docile 1300cc to having a 500+ BHP small block Chevy (which was frightening quick)

I always gave the car's respect and I certainly knew my own limitations, I'm a firm believer in the old saying that 'A bad workmen always blames his tools"

Wayne
Wow , that was a long winded load of crap
If that's the best you can do than I think it says alot more about you than it does me.

Let's just leave it there.
Reserving the right to disagree

Bug
Posts: 3090
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Bug » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:30 am

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm
Another quick point about the axle location kit. I'm perfectly happy to drive within the limits of the car as it is and not try to make it into something it wasn't designed to be. Others have a differing view and that's fine. It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

Andrew.
Agreed Andrew, 100%.
But in my opinion (for what it's worth), adding the X-frame to my car didn't save me from killing myself due to my driving ability.
It expanded the envelope of the car's 'limits'. This meant that it was more likely to be my inbuilt self-preservation instinct that reached it's limits, before the car reached it's mechanical ones.
To a certain extent, it gave me peace of mind.
I would hazard a guess that the majority of people on here have, at some point, entered a corner a bit too fast, only for it to tighten up, or go off camber on them. For me, with the X-frame on, I had the confidence to keep the throttle balanced and drive round it, instead of what seems to be becoming the norm, of jamming on the brakes and praying.
So, I guess that made the X-frame a bit of extra insurance in that respect.
Just meant I had to clean 'brown adrenalin' off the seat instead of my brains off the windscreen. :xd:

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7216
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Major_Tom » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Bug wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:30 am
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm
Another quick point about the axle location kit. I'm perfectly happy to drive within the limits of the car as it is and not try to make it into something it wasn't designed to be. Others have a differing view and that's fine. It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

Andrew.
Agreed Andrew, 100%.
But in my opinion (for what it's worth), adding the X-frame to my car didn't save me from killing myself due to my driving ability.
It expanded the envelope of the car's 'limits'. This meant that it was more likely to be my inbuilt self-preservation instinct that reached it's limits, before the car reached it's mechanical ones.
To a certain extent, it gave me peace of mind.
I would hazard a guess that the majority of people on here have, at some point, entered a corner a bit too fast, only for it to tighten up, or go off camber on them. For me, with the X-frame on, I had the confidence to keep the throttle balanced and drive round it, instead of what seems to be becoming the norm, of jamming on the brakes and praying.
So, I guess that made the X-frame a bit of extra insurance in that respect.
Just meant I had to clean 'brown adrenalin' off the seat instead of my brains off the windscreen. :xd:
As Martin says. We could include adjustable shock absorbers, brake improvements etc to that list.. even rear seat belts.. if you want to keep it totally standard, thats fine, nothing wrong with that. If you want to modify, for any reason, thats fine too. All depends on what you want to do with your car.
My car isn't stupid.... it's MENTAL.

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983, early 5 speed. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Not_Anumber » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Mc Tool wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 am

Wow , that was a long winded load of crap
Being outspoken is fine so long as you don't offend others. Your posts aren't always that succinct, its noticed but not criticised. :beer:

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mc Tool » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 am
Mc Tool wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 am
Mr B wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am
All I'm saying is that I don't think there is much substance to the reputation the Capri has for handling, I do believe it's the driver that cannot handle the vehicle, for example, in a world population of 7.7 billion people how comes only 20 maybe 30 people are good enough to drive Formula 1 racing driver's, if it really is only about the car and not the skills of the driver then surely anyone could do it?

Let's look at the demographic that the Capri was really aimed at, young guy's trying to be Sterling Moss and pull the girls by acting the big man and showing off in their Capri's......and then promptly losing control and crashing them.

On YouTube there are loads of video's showing driver's losing control of Ferrari's, Lamborghinis etc. hell even formula 1 driver's lose control of their cars and spin out but these incidents happen because of driver error which brings me back to the fact that's it's unfair to blame the car for one's own shortcomings.

I have owned Capri's for 30 year's without incident and I've certainly never put concrete in the boot and I definitely don't have the skill set of Lewis Hamilton, I've had most of the range from the docile 1300cc to having a 500+ BHP small block Chevy (which was frightening quick)

I always gave the car's respect and I certainly knew my own limitations, I'm a firm believer in the old saying that 'A bad workmen always blames his tools"

Wayne
Wow , that was a long winded load of crap
If that's the best you can do than I think it says alot more about you than it does me.

Let's just leave it there.
Well come on Wayne :) , one mintue were talking about the popular opinion that a bit of weight in the back can be beneficial , you tellin us we are all wrong , next minute your blithering about demographics ,Louis Hamilton ,formula one ,you tube and Lambos and Ferraris . I think it was a (succsesful ) attempt to distance yourself from your previous comments , and I can understand why you would want to do that , so yeah we will leave it there . Ill let you have the last word..........
Hamish
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Axle location kit help

Post by Mc Tool » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:29 pm

Not_Anumber wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:07 pm
Mc Tool wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 am

Wow , that was a long winded load of crap
Being outspoken is fine so long as you don't offend others. Your posts aren't always that succinct, its noticed but not criticised. :beer:
Yeah, fair enough. My intention is not to offend ,but Im not good at letting things slide if I dont agree. Sometimes (as with this issue ) I say things ( that I believe to be true ) just to try and get peeps to think about what they are saying. Peeps ( including me ) sometimes get opinion confused with fact, it aint hard when you believe what your saying is obviously ( to others ) true.
I like to think , when dissagreing with someone that if we were on opposite sides of a pub table it would remain friendly . Sometimes the discussion itself becomes enjoyable and the actual topic becomes a little irrelivant.
I feel that Im at a bit of a disadvantage here because some of you UK guys have obviously met up and know each other .
I had to look up sussinct :xd:
Hamish
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

Post Reply