Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by Mc Tool »

Who's Dave Hill? .....Nana sez he had a thing for holding his Noddy :shock:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Googled it .......faaaaaarrrrk, one of them things where your better off not knowing what they look like . I saw , on TV , a motley crew interview ,some of them hasbeans are older that my Dad , fatter too.
I do remember Slade songs ,another one of them things where I knew the songs ,just didn't know who sung them.
Also makes me thing that overall most most most of the best music came out of Britan ,the UK ,England.
I bought Pink Floyd Animals when I was 15, never listened to it proper till I was 45....they ain't the only ones. What I can't figure out is how I missed it, I mean I loved music as a teen , I was the 1st of our mob that "wasted" good beer money on a stereo, but most of my fave music now was stuff that was about back then but I didn't appreciate . Here's a bummer ,a fave song I always thought was led zep turned out to be Aerosmith.......and I can't even look at Steve Tyler without thinkin what a mess that guy is.
My fave song at the mo is Talking Heads perfect world , just got the CD, and it will change within 48 hrs.
You tube is real good at showing you what you've been missing for all those years
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I remember a few years (decades?) ago, the stats were amazing, something like 70% of all records sold globally were by British artists. Considering what a tiny part of the world we are, it`s astounding, the diversity of music in the `70s especially, from Kate Bush to Sabbath. Mind you Cowell`s fixing that, bringing back the performing dummies...
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Yes, I did this! Can't imagine any kid today would give it the time of day though.

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm Yes, I did this! Can't imagine any kid today would give it the time of day though.

On more than one occasion Paul.

Simple fun :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

O M G how do you remember these things yes but school trip was to the church doing “ brass rubbing “ well we used a pencil :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Frying bugs with a magnifying glass
Blowing up cow pat's with crackers
Tormenting my younger brothers (one is now a lawyer......so he deserved everything he got ) :lol:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm Yes, I did this! Can't imagine any kid today would give it the time of day though.

Yes remember doing this as a young child Paul.
Mc Tool wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:33 pm Blowing up cow pat's with crackers
Remember doing this as an older one. Surprising how far :turd: can fly ..
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:36 pm

Remember doing this as an older one. Surprising how far :turd: can fly ..
Specially if you smack it with a 9 iron , yeah , we got uncle Jack's golf clubs and gave them a workout, got covered in shit ....which turned out to be a good thing coz when he caught us there was nowhere he could whack us without getting splattered.... We got hosed down in the dairy .....good times
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:11 pm school trip was to the church doing “ brass rubbing “ well we used a pencil
Yep, we did that too!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Oh yes, it really hurt!

stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
When I was about 11, I had a little `mileometer` which basically fitted onto a front fork, had a rotating 8 pronged star which was hit by a pin on a front spoke each revolution. The turns of the star were added on a littlr numeric display. It was really neat, only about 1 1/2" wide and it meant you could see exactly how far you`d been. Great! Until the day it must have slightly re`adjusted itself, caught in the wheel, locked the front wheel solid and threw me over the front, landing on my face! (Vaguely, through the mist of pain & nausea, remember the bike then landing on me adding insult to injury. Never felt really safe again on a bike after that.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 am Oh yes, it really hurt!

Oh yes got a few scars from those, and plenty of other cuts and bruises from falling off :lol:

Had this on my bike
Huret-speedometer-Raleigh-chopper-and-other-Vintage-bikes.jpg
Huret-speedometer-Raleigh-chopper-and-other-Vintage-bikes.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
:drive:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

How did that work: I`d have given my right arm for that (which would`ve been pretty stupid really :lol: )
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 pm How did that work: I`d have given my right arm for that (which would`ve been pretty stupid really :lol: )
Hi Steve,
Not 100% sure as it was 40 years ago :) But looks like it fitted behind the front wheel nut and was operated by the spokes :? https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huret-speedometer-/143338499528

Didn't you ever ride with no hands :whistle: :D
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Post by Mk3 Mags »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am Paul,
When I was about 11, I had a little `mileometer` which basically fitted onto a front fork, had a rotating 8 pronged star which was hit by a pin on a front spoke each revolution. The turns of the star were added on a littlr numeric display. It was really neat, only about 1 1/2" wide and it meant you could see exactly how far you`d been. Great! Until the day it must have slightly re`adjusted itself, caught in the wheel, locked the front wheel solid and threw me over the front, landing on my face! (Vaguely, through the mist of pain & nausea, remember the bike then landing on me adding insult to injury. Never felt really safe again on a bike after that.
I had one of them and I'd notched up a huge mileage when I went down a steep hill too fast one day and it was last seen flying off into the distance. So I shall never know how far I went.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah yes, the pedal in the shin , still have the scar , and I also remember the often accompanying balls on frame tube.
I had a chain bike as a kid and one of the brake pads jammed in the spokes and .......yep ,landed on my face. Every cloud has a silver lining :twisted: my brother did the same thing a week or so later :lol: ( its ok ... he's a lawyer ) coz Dad didnt fix it properly ( he's a lawyer too ).
Apart from falling off the top of a slide and getting concussion I got thru childhood relativley unscathed .......at one point I really wanted a plaster cast as I was the only kid who hadnt broken something at some time

then I discovered motorbikes and the injuries came thick and fast :D I have lots of gruesome xrays from the last crash.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I had the plastic clips on the wheels that made that noise :lol:

To poor to afford a speedo on my bike :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Me and the kid over the road (yeah , the one whos mother told him to stay away from me ) used to put oily rags in a tin on the back carrier ,light them and pedal furiously up and down the street, I even had an exhaust pipe ( tied to the frame with string ) on mine (couple of feet of some bit of pipe at a cool angle)
Wheel clackers were usually ice cream pottle lids cut up and stuck to the fork with clothes pegs.
We uesd to pinch empty soda bottles from the back of the corner shop ,and then take them in the front of the shop and collect the refund .......again :P :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Goodness me yes, I am really glad! And even now I'd much rather be enjoying myself caked in mud than staring at a little screen.