Spotlamp wirering.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Spotlamp wirering.

Post by Allan mcl »

Does anyone know that if I was to fit front spots using the excisting two spare plugs on my laser would I still need to fit a relay or is it just plug and play.Also could you tell me what the correct distance apart they should be if I was to fit round ones above the bumper.
Thanks in advance
Allan.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Spotlamp wirering.

Post by stevemarl »

Allan mcl wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:23 am the excisting two spare plugs on my laser
Which plugs are these? If you`re fitting anything which draws more than a couple of amps, it`s good practice to use a relay, not only does it take the load off the switch so you can use lighter wiring to that, it ensures the best connection to power for whatever you`re fitting. There`s a very clear diagram of how to wire a relay here, just substitute `Spots` for `Air Horn`
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53605
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Allan mcl wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:23 am Also could you tell me what the correct distance apart they should be if I was to fit round ones above the bumper.
You'll probably find the answer here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... tents/made
If the distance apart is not specified, I would say to make sure that they don't interfere with the beam pattern from the inner main beam lamps.

I'm not aware of any existing connectors for spotlamps eiher. I wonder if they are something that a previous owner has installed, maybe with a relay already wired in? If this is the case, putting in new spotlights could be plug and play, but I would either check very carefully any existing wiring, or even start again from scratch.

A quick note about the relay wiring. The switched live (pin 86) must come from the main beam lighting circuit. In other words, the spotlights will only light with the main beams on and must extinguish when main beam is switched off.
You can have an optional switch on the dash too, but that can only be used to switch the spotlights on or off when the main beam is on. You are not allowed to have spotlights that operate independently of the existing main beam, if you follow.

I'm assuming that you are using the term spotlamps to mean just those. If you mean front foglights, they need to be wired differently.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for the replies, the wirering that I refer to is the two plugs behind the front panel they the same connection as those that you come with the genuine ford lamps.will need to check if there is a live feed to them.
Cheers Allan
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes my laser has the wiring already in place as it runs the Dip Dim so it will just plug in and play . This only works with spots lights as your need a relay and switch for fog lights .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for that will purchase some aftermarket ones as genuine ford ones are going for silly money.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello Allan

Re: Positioning of spot/driving lamps.
This link may help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darylchap ... /lightbox/

All the best.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Why not just turbo charge the existing head lamps ? You could fit BMW angel eyes , or fit 100w spots in the hi beam and a hi/ low 100w /55w for the low beam , so you have 4x 100w for hi and 2x 55w low beam, or have the inner spots wired via a switch so you can switch em off and just have the 2 100w dual bulbs for a medium powered high beam . Any head light (or stereo )
upgrades will probly require a bigger alternator ( a small oversight on my part that saw us parked up in the middle of the night half way to Wanaka.......I didn't notice the lights getting dimmer untill the sparks got a bit erratic :roll: :swear: )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Re the positioning of them, back in the times of ancient history I fitted a pair of OE spotlights to my then owned MK2 2,0S. The lamps were fitted to two brackets which were fitted to the top shelf of the front panel. With the grille removed, there are two little dimples in the front panel shelf, immediately next to the lower mountings for the grille, which had to be drilled out to bolt the bracket in.

I've just looked on my Laser and the dimples are still present on the MK3 so that is your answer as to where to fit them.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 am The lamps were fitted to two brackets which were fitted to the top shelf of the front panel.
Aren't the genuine brackets as rare as hen's teeth though?

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:21 pm
Paul G wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 am The lamps were fitted to two brackets which were fitted to the top shelf of the front panel.
Aren't the genuine brackets as rare as hen's teeth though?

Andrew.
They are I believe Andrew but knocking up a couple of angle brackets shouldn't be too complictated.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That's a good solution. I would definitely mount the brackets on the body, and not on the bumper as the lights will vibrate like anything.

Andrew.
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Check mine and the front panel does have the dimples in. Does anyone know where I could get a image of the brackets from so that I can fabricate a pair.
Cheers
AGD4692
Car(s): MK3 Capri 2.0 Ghia

Post by AGD4692 »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:15 pm Yes my laser has the wiring already in place as it runs the Dip Dim so it will just plug in and play . This only works with spots lights as your need a relay and switch for fog lights .
when I fitted genuine Ford fog lights years ago, I plugged them into the connectors in the front panel and then used a relay and switch. According to the original Ford diagram, bumper spotlights needed a relay as well.
Bod9084
Car(s): I have got a 1981 3000s and I have just got my self
A 1987 2.8i thay are both red
I had my first capri when I was 17" it was a 3000GTXLR
I have had a lot of fast fords vans all ways put bigger engine in
I also have had motor bikes I have a 1200 Suzuki bandit

Post by Bod9084 »

I have got a pair of top and bottom spot light brackets
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Hi mate,

How much would you need to part with the top set of brackets.

Cheers Allan.