New Car Programme on TV Soon

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: New Car Programme on TV Soon

Post by stevemarl »

Does anyone know where Goblin Works is fimed - I`m sure I saw the tower of Strangeways prison in the background???

(Accidentally caught the `dystopian` (???) E30 episode this afternoon - edge of your seat stuff - last minute fuel issue - would they get it ready for its launch... Surely the program itself defines dystopian TV?)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:00 pm Does anyone know where Goblin Works is fimed - I`m sure I saw the tower of Strangeways prison in the background???
According to this website, it's filmed in Cambridgeshire.
https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/factual- ... 18.article
However, according to Companies House, it's in Kent, although that might just be a correspondence address:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10057700
Interestingly, it looks like the company is about to be dissolved as there is currently an active proposal to strike off the register.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Thanks Andrew, I mean going to companies house, above and beyond or what!
I`ve only ever watched it twice i think, but thought it mentioned `our workshop up north` or something in the title `prologue`? Could `darn sarf` be the production company`s address? "In the middle of the Cambridgeshire countryside": I`ve been to Cambridge years ago and unless it`s fallen on very hard times, it doesn`t look like that! Much more `run down inner city` (Bury New Rd) I`d have said :lol:
Steve
Last edited by stevemarl on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:04 pm I`ve only ever watched it twice i think, but thought it mentioned `our workshop up north` or something in the title `prologue`?
I haven't watched a whole episode, so I can't say. The "Up North" thing might be make believe for the telly, so the garage they used could be anywhere in the country.
According to LinkedIn, it's in Kent.
https://www.linkedin.com/company/goblin ... garage-ltd

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

According to this, a new garage was used for the second series and it is indeed in Manchester.
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/classic- ... 7105617861
There was me thinking you might be able to see Strangeways tower from Kent on a clear day! :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Fair enough, wherever it`s filmed it`s still my least favourite program of its type: £21K on fibreglass mouldings for that E30. No, no, no! (The air suspension might have been interesting - if they`d shown anything of HOW it was fitted/worked etc.)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
thank God - not so much for my sanity, but for the good people of Cambridgeshire: no dystopian nightmare after all! :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

OMG, now they`ve found some poor old Viva to butcher. Watching between my fingers...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:18 pm OMG, now they`ve found some poor old Viva to butcher. Watching between my fingers...
I'm going to watch this on +1. I'll thank you later! :lol:

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:53 pm
stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:18 pm OMG, now they`ve found some poor old Viva to butcher. Watching between my fingers...
I'm going to watch this on +1. I'll thank you later! :lol:

Andrew.
Hypocrite Warning!!!

After everything I said about it I did watch this the other night as I was awake with toothache. Butcher is about right :?

Re; Salvage Hunters Classic Cars, if you miss the new series on January 8th at 9pm, it is repeated Saturday at 6.30pm on Quest or +1.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Now I did watch and thought all Viva this is going to be bad . The bike stuff I switch of as its blokes and leather thing and I am not in to that . So I must have looked up a few times at the tv and carried on with my book “ How to kill the mother in law “ very good book . And at the end was shocked to see somebody buy a viva for 12k .

Did like the exhaust in some strange way ? :lol:

Hope the tooth is better andy .

Also Andrew I am sure it’s a JPS :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Hope the tooth is better andy .

It's still niggling a bit, just like the Mother in Law :wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I thought I'd watch a whole episode as there was nothing else on, but I won't bother watching GWG again.
I did think that the Viva was quite restrained in comparison to what they did to the Capri though.
How much did they buy the Viva for was it £3K? They sold it for £12K (yeah, right!), meaning that, deducting the £2K profit, they spent £7K on some yellow window film, some fancy wheels and a loud exhaust. Bargain! :D

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:13 pm he Viva was quite restrained in comparison to what they did to the Capri though.
It would have been difficult not to be restrained compared to the Capri :lol:
Some of the paint `defects` looked to me like they`d been sprayed on, there seemed to be some orangey stuff looked like a mist of overspray, or maybe I`m being cynical after the MGB on that show with Bernie and the Canadian? It did polish up well. The home made splitter though???
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Watched `Salvage Hunters Classic Cars` tonight and yet again it`s bollocks! They get a car, famous, nay legendary for rusting, which failed its MOT 3 years previously for corrosion - they`re pulling bits of body off by hand at the inspection. Back to garage, stripped down " not as bad as we thought" off to the shop for paint. So the hours or days of structural repairs, floors, valances - not worth a mention - yet the design of a logo... Also, £50 for a set of hand-made plates in black on silver for a P reg - so not even legal then. Why can`t they TRY to make it plausible for anyone with the slightest idea about cars??? (At least they don`t pretend to have a deadline so that`s something.)
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:38 am Watched `Salvage Hunters Classic Cars` tonight and yet again it`s bollocks! They get a car, famous, nay legendary for rusting, which failed its MOT 3 years previously for corrosion - they`re pulling bits of body off by hand at the inspection. Back to garage, stripped down " not as bad as we thought" off to the shop for paint. So the hours or days of structural repairs, floors, valances - not worth a mention - yet the design of a logo... Also, £50 for a set of hand-made plates in black on silver for a P reg - so not even legal then. Why can`t they TRY to make it plausible for anyone with the slightest idea about cars??? (At least they don`t pretend to have a deadline so that`s something.)
Will watch this Saturday or Sunday when repeated.

Why it's on at 9pm and not 7 or 8 is beyond me as I doubt there is swearing or nudity :? But from your review sounds like some bo****ks :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:04 am Why it's on at 9pm and not 7 or 8 is beyond me as I doubt there is swearing or nudity :?
Past your bedtime, Andy! :lol:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I fell asleep once that draw stared talking :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:31 pm
andyd wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:04 am Why it's on at 9pm and not 7 or 8 is beyond me as I doubt there is swearing or nudity :?
Past your bedtime, Andy! :lol:

Andrew.
You wait until you get to my age you young whipper snapper :wave:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:13 pm I thought I'd watch a whole episode as there was nothing else on, but I won't bother watching GWG again.
I did think that the Viva was quite restrained in comparison to what they did to the Capri though.
How much did they buy the Viva for was it £3K? They sold it for £12K (yeah, right!), meaning that, deducting the £2K profit, they spent £7K on some yellow window film, some fancy wheels and a loud exhaust. Bargain! :D
Felt the same way Andrew. Cant believe they spent 3k on it in the first place. This was a terrible vision & an even worse execution. At least the Capri, love or hate it, was a quality job. Got to hand it to the guy who does the motorbikes though, he always does a cutting edge quality job. The other 2 could learn a lot from him.