North London in the dead of night

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

North London in the dead of night

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Well many of my work colleagues and especially Mrs Fordoholic all think I am crazy for walking in and out to work every day. Its 4 miles each way so 8 mile round trip
5, 6 and sometimes 7 times a week depending on shift pattern. Last week I walked about 56 miles. I am the Forest Gump of walking :lol:

Driving a bus all day I just sit all day so I do this very underestimated exercise. Its totally FREE and requires no gym membership and it's nights like last night make it all worthwhile.

Here's a you tube I did at 0225am last night nearing home. Just myself, a beautiful bird singing it's heart out and a wise old fox crossing my path. Just love this time of the night in North London

https://youtu.be/EdqD32vHTsA
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: North London in the dead of night

Post by stevemarl »

Nick,
Excellent, really captures the beauty of the moment, thanks for posting. (Used to work nights once myself and quite enjoyed the atmpsphere; empty roads and seeing the sunrise.)
It`s amazing actually, how lazy people have got, if I say I`m going to walk to Stretford (about 1ml), people are falling over themselves to give me lifts: "no, I actually WANT to walk, I enjoy it" . It`s as though you`ve just confessed to self - harming!!!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

:cool:
As you say free exercise or are you off setting your carbon footprint as you are having the Twin 45s fitted :whistle: Greta T will be happy :lol:

Nightwork is ok, done it many times but like to be in bed by 9pm now :sleepy: :sleepy:

:goodluck:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm Hi all,

Well many of my work colleagues and especially Mrs Fordoholic all think I am crazy for walking in and out to work every day. Its 4 miles each way so 8 mile round trip
5, 6 and sometimes 7 times a week depending on shift pattern. Last week I walked about 56 miles. I am the Forest Gump of walking :lol:

Driving a bus all day I just sit all day so I do this very underestimated exercise. Its totally FREE and requires no gym membership and it's nights like last night make it all worthwhile.

Here's a you tube I did at 0225am last night nearing home. Just myself, a beautiful bird singing it's heart out and a wise old fox crossing my path. Just love this time of the night in North London

https://youtu.be/EdqD32vHTsA
Lovely video Nick and long may your walks continue. Let's just pray that one night there isn't some nutter hiding in the church yard or the bushes.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:01 pm Nick,
Excellent, really captures the beauty of the moment, thanks for posting. (Used to work nights once myself and quite enjoyed the atmpsphere; empty roads and seeing the sunrise.)
It`s amazing actually, how lazy people have got, if I say I`m going to walk to Stretford (about 1ml), people are falling over themselves to give me lifts: "no, I actually WANT to walk, I enjoy it" . It`s as though you`ve just confessed to self - harming!!!
Thanks Steve, I could not resist filming it. That bird was amazing. I stopped for a while to listen to it then low and behold the wise old fox appeared too :) You can hear Owls sometimes too . Yes mate just like you I really enjoying walking especially after a long shift at work. Clears the mind !! I used to get the night bus drivers pulling up when they seen me walking trying to give me a lift but they know now just to wave as I always politely refuse :lol: :lol: And how much nicer is it to walk than spend an hour on a bleedin treadmill machine thing !

Good on you for walking Steve. Keep it up fella :applaud: :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:07 pm :cool:
As you say free exercise or are you off setting your carbon footprint as you are having the Twin 45s fitted :whistle: Greta T will be happy :lol:
Bother !! You had to go and spoil the moment Andy....you made me feel well guilty....for a couple of mins...roll on 27th :wave: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:32 pmLet's just pray that one night there isn't some nutter hiding in the church yard or the bushes.
:shock: :shock: :shock: .... :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:32 pm Let's just pray that one night there isn't some nutter hiding in the church yard or the bushes.
It's OK Paul, he lives in Kent. Nick should be safe as that's a long way from North London..... :lol:

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

It's a Robin singing.
They often do that all night in towns. Must be the lights messing up their body clocks.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm It's a Robin singing.
They often do that all night in towns.
That`s brilliant Martin, thank you! I know there are robins roundabout, but had no idea who it was singing at 3am: now I know.
(next question - when do the poor little buggers sleep???)
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:04 pm
That`s brilliant Martin, thank you! I know there are robins roundabout, but had no idea who it was singing at 3am: now I know.
(next question - when do the poor little buggers sleep???)
Probably when people stop walking past them in the wee small hours :xd:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:39 pm
Paul G wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:32 pm Let's just pray that one night there isn't some nutter hiding in the church yard or the bushes.
It's OK Paul, he lives in Kent. Nick should be safe as that's a long way from North London..... :lol:

Andrew.
Yes peter is in Kent andrew :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I could not resist filming it. That bird was amazing
What was her name and when will we see this video . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did here nick will be doing spring watch this year :heart:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Often the best part of my day, cycling into Heathrow at 0500hrs. Quiet roads, and you see and hear so much more than when driving. That said I took the Laser to work on New Years day night shift which was also nice :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:04 pm
:agree: Thanks Martin. I would never have guessed it was a Robin mate. That's a great bit of info. Amazing pitch and power from such a tiny bird. Amazing :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Nick,
Inspired by your comments about walking, I made a big detour today and walked around a big area which was once a huge complex that made gas meters, Parkinson Cowan. Relocated to Poland, the site`s just been flattened, foundations put down for the planned housing estate. Past there to the flats where I lived till I was 5: walked where I used to ride around on my little blue 3 wheeler bike... ah the memories. I once managed to collect a load of bees (?) which I filled the little `boot` with. How - don`t know; why - not a bloody clue! Never got stung though; weird child. Real trip down memory lane. Morrisey`s famous iron footbridge passes just outside the back window of my old flat, he used to go to St Mary`s secondary school behind it, now also a housing estate. Apparently the bridge used to be part of a Smiths tour. Now if you hadn`t extolled the virtues of walking I would have missed out on all this, I`d have just noticed passing one day that there was a new estate where Parky Cowan used to be. So thanks!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm Nick,
Inspired by your comments about walking, I made a big detour today and walked around a big area which was once a huge complex that made gas meters, Parkinson Cowan. Relocated to Poland, the site`s just been flattened, foundations put down for the planned housing estate. Past there to the flats where I lived till I was 5: walked where I used to ride around on my little blue 3 wheeler bike... ah the memories. I once managed to collect a load of bees (?) which I filled the little `boot` with. How - don`t know; why - not a bloody clue! Never got stung though; weird child. Real trip down memory lane. Morrisey`s famous iron footbridge passes just outside the back window of my old flat, he used to go to St Mary`s secondary school behind it, now also a housing estate. Apparently the bridge used to be part of a Smiths tour. Now if you hadn`t extolled the virtues of walking I would have missed out on all this, I`d have just noticed passing one day that there was a new estate where Parky Cowan used to be. So thanks!
Wow Steve. That was some walk for many reasons mate. And just as you said you would never have experienced this if it were for walking. That's what I love about walking is you can turn left, turn right and keep going forward whatever lthe fancy takes you and you take everything in that surrounds you..

Steve how cool you strolled around your childhood memories. Must have been great and at the same time sad to see old memories flattened ready for housing. Mate that's a great story about Morrisey and that bridge too. Loved The Smiths. Great band. Morrisey is a bit of a miserable fucker though but jeepers his songs were stunning!!

Me and Mrs F walk up your our local Sainsburys all the time but take a detour in through out local park. :)

Steve keep up the walking fella and you never know you might unlock some more of those wonderful memories mate....and the best bit is its totally FREE and great for your health.

I will be walking home later tonight at 1am :wave:

Cheers Steve and thanks for the great post mate :)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

They often do that all night in towns. Must be the lights messing up their body clocks.
I was staggering around at night the other week and had a robin follow me home singing all the way.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm Morrisey`s famous iron footbridge passes just outside the back window of my old flat, he used to go to St Mary`s secondary school behind it, now also a housing estate. Apparently the bridge used to be part of a Smiths tour.
Steve,
You might appreciate these photos of two icons I found on Flickr.

ImageThe real Coronation Street by Jeff, on Flickr

ImageCapri Urban by Jeff, on Flickr

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
That`s a lovely pic. Thankfully the `powers that be` in Salford at least, are now seeing that there is value in restoring the older architecture rather than demolishing and putting up grey boxes to house students as they have done in so many areas. That is really quite beautiful cleaned up. Slightly off topic but, old versus new, this is just a former mill on the A56 going into Manchester. It wasn`t a civic building it was built to make stuff - but look at the architecture. Then compare with the grey box further down the road.
Sadly the Neville brothers seem to have bought up most of MCr and are putting horrendous grey skyscrapers everywhere, it`ll be like a mini NYC - whoopee!