Make steering easier / adding power steering

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
hellum
Car(s): Ford Capri MK3 1.6
Ford Scorpio 2.0I (parts car)
Citroën BX 14TE
Audi A4

Make steering easier / adding power steering

Post by hellum »

I own a 1979 mk3, I love that car and really don't want to sell it. The problem is that I'm transgender and I have lost a lot of strength in the last couple of months. Driving is fine, but parking is hellish at the moment.

The car used to be a 1.6 but I replaced the engine with a 2liter one. I already own a power steering pump from a Scorpio, are there steering racks from different cars that will fit without too much trouble? What would be my other options to make steering easier?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Make steering easier / adding power steering

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

hellum wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:37 pm What would be my other options to make steering easier?
A power steering conversion using the V6 rack and pump isn't unheard of, but the parts will be quite costly.
I think some people have also used the electric set-up from a Corsa C to convert the Capri's manual rack, I don't know any more about it than that, you might find some info if you search on Google.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Well 1stly :D you can't tell us your transgender without telling us which way you went :xd: .
I have been looking into this a bit and here in NZ getting a V6 rack would be near impossible to find. I realise that fitting anything other than the correct rack is going to require modification of the X member. I dunno about your laws regarding car modification but here any welding done on suspension / steering components must be done by a certified welder......which is a real hassle ....if you can join it up with nuts and bolts anything goes. I can't help thinkin that going electric is probly the easiest, either on the column or the rack. Depends too on wether you can do this yourself. Whatever path you choose your going to be a bit of a pioneer. I'm going to hit the car wreakers , measuring tape in hand to see what I can find that might fit . Happy to share ideas
Hamish
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
hellum
Car(s): Ford Capri MK3 1.6
Ford Scorpio 2.0I (parts car)
Citroën BX 14TE
Audi A4

Post by hellum »

Male to female transgender, that's why I'm losing lots of strength (no more testosterone). The Corsa power steering seems like a good option though, those parts are dirt cheap. I just need a way of connecting it to the current steering rack. Will call since wreckers next year.

AFAIK nobody cares about the steering in my country, as long as it's solid.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Get some weetabix down you,when you decide to drive the Capri :D
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

hellum wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:23 pm The Corsa power steering seems like a good option though, those parts are dirt cheap. I just need a way of connecting it to the current steering rack.
So, Bob's your Auntie :xd:
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

One cheaper method is to fit rollerbearing top mounts. Get the right ones though as i have heard some people have had knocking noises from poorly designed ones.

If your good with the welder the 2.8 rack will fit if to weld some fittings to the crossmember for the rack to bolt to. Then you will need to mount the reservoir pump to the bolt and get a belt to run it.
Or
fit the rack as above, find an electric pump and hoses to fit the steering rack.
Or
as said get a modified column running the corsa B electric steering and steering controller.

I actually removed my powersteering on my 2.8 and welded in the manual rack mounts on my crossmember. Its not too bad as I eats me spinach. 😁
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Loss of muscle strength will be very subjective: you `feel` weaker compared to previously - but once you`ve fully adapted to the changes you may find you`re actually more able than it first seemed?
Also, things like correct tyre pressures make a huge difference and, apparently, the O.E. 185/70 tyres are much lighter than the 205s which many fit? Weetabix is definitely cheapest option though.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am Weetabix is definitely cheapest option though.
I hear spinach may also have the desired effect.... :D

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

A handful of late 2 litre Laser Capris were apparently made with power steering and a few have retro fitted. Caprigrear Martin commented on this a while ago but I cant find the link immediately. Its worth searching on here and the other Capri forum.

Some have gone about it by changing to the V6 crossmember, this has the right brackets for the power rack but needs the engine brackets modified to align with a Pinto engine. Others have kept the standard crossmember , adding brackets to suit the power steering rack. If you dont do welding and fabricating yourself it would be worth asking someone like Tickover as they ace all manner of mechanical conversions on Capris. Swapping crossmembers over isnt as difficult as it might sound, a couple of hours, 2 jacks, axle stands and basic tools.

After that it would mostly then be a case of getting the right pulleys, brackets and belt which I'd assume you'd just source from a PAS equipped, pinto enginerd Sierra or Scorpio.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It would be worth you looking at other threads. This was posted just a few days ago which shows how regularly these questions pop up. {quote]viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53603[/quote] :drive:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am Loss of muscle strength will be very subjective: you `feel` weaker compared to previously - but once you`ve fully adapted to the changes you may find you`re actually more able than it first seemed?
Also, things like correct tyre pressures make a huge difference and, apparently, the O.E. 185/70 tyres are much lighter than the 205s which many fit? Weetabix is definitely cheapest option though.
Tbh this is my main choice , heaps of chics drive classis cars with no ps. I think you should wait and see before leaping in with the spanners. One thing the Mrs says is to make sure the car is not quite stationary when swingin off the wheel lock to lock as you do when parking , a bit of forward or reverse motion does make big steering inputs easier when parking. You can also get a bit selective about parking spots. I have just had my right leg chopped off well above the knee after 10 years of surgery after surgery (28 seperate opps )trying to save it . Getting in and out of cars is my biggest issue and finding good parks became an art :D . Before the chop I needed to get the car door right open to gain access ,you'd be surprised just how many ignorant cnuts there are out there (you may not ...actually ;) ) who park so close I can't get back in ........had a couple towed :twisted: :D
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am
Also, things like correct tyre pressures make a huge difference and, apparently, the O.E. 185/70 tyres are much lighter than the 205s which many fit?
This is totally correct, I have just put a set of wheels on my car with 195 60 14 tyres, it previously had 205 60 13's on there, the steering definitely feels lighter than before so I think it's safe to say 185's would make even more of a difference.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:05 pm
stevemarl wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am Weetabix is definitely cheapest option though.
I hear spinach may also have the desired effect.... :D

Andrew.
ha but spinach may not have a desired effect to those in close range when it starts to leak :shock: :D
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator

Post by sierra3dr »

Mc Tool wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 pm
Getting in and out of cars is my biggest issue and finding good parks became an art :D . Before the chop I needed to get the car door right open to gain access ,you'd be surprised just how many ignorant cnuts there are out there (you may not ...actually ;) ) who park so close I can't get back in ........had a couple towed :twisted: :D
I don't know if you are refering to supermarket car parking spaces,but the problem is the size. The sizes are marked out for pre-2000 vehicles.Cars have increased in size,but the parking spaces haven't
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I was really meaning the disabled parks,
most of them have generous spacing with a no parking zone next to them ( not a whole park ) and I have seen peeps cramming their car between 2 cripple parks (had that one towed......this bitch sat in a coffee shop laughing as I tried to get in via passenger side ......she moved quick enough when the vehicle recovery truck backed up to her car , argument ensues , she rings cops, they arrive ,saw how she has parked and told the tow guy to take her car away ) . Some parking is better than others :)
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:23 pm I was really meaning the disabled parks,
most of them have generous spacing with a no parking zone next to them ( not a whole park ) and I have seen peeps cramming their car between 2 cripple parks (had that one towed......this bitch sat in a coffee shop laughing as I tried to get in via passenger side ......she moved quick enough when the vehicle recovery truck backed up to her car , argument ensues , she rings cops, they arrive ,saw how she has parked and told the tow guy to take her car away ) . Some parking is better than others :)
I have to admit as it's you MC I would make getting into your car as difficult as possible for you!
Luv ya really!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Well don't do it in your Capri ;) sometimes the offending vehicle gets accidently scratched as I try to gain entry to my car :roll: ( my car never gets scratched ). I didn't sharpen the studs on my jeans back pocket .........or glue 80 grit Emery tape to the rear edge of my doors.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I would suggest first trying 185/70 x13" on the fronts and upping to 30 psi. As previously posted; keep the car moving as you turn and select a bit of opposite lock just as the car is about to stop then carry on that turn as you start to reverse. A bit of practice with this & tight turns are so much easier - also far less wear on the tyres. After spinning lock-to-lock a couple of times on my 4x4 with power steering you can see a black patch of rubber shreds on the tarmac!
My 2.0 also has poly-bushes in the front for steering rack and radius arms which does appear to give a more positive feel rather than the tyres trying to bounce back against the rack.
Let us know how you get on with it.