Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by D366Y »

Without wanting to sound like I'm causing an argument, I fall into that 'younger generation' and I don't think social media is the problem personally... I think part of it is the sheer scale of technology advancement and the non-stop advertising for all this new stuff that gets released all the time that makes everyone think they need the next best thing - you certainly wouldn't be bombarded anywhere near as regularly with a newspaper or while listening to the radio, but every single website you visit is plastered with advertising of some sort, and so is every social media page

yes younger generations spend days at a time staring at their phones, but I don't hear them complaining about it? If that's what their childhood will be then so be it - mine was spent cycling around the council estate we grew up on and being outside rather than inside simply because at the time we couldn't afford Sky TV and with only five channels to watch there wasn't really much on for kids so made so sense to sit in front of it all day. In the same way that different generations did different things as kids and growing up, I think this will just be theirs?

I think the reason youngsters aren't so happy anymore is more of an opinion because we're more exposed to it - I'm sure not everyone who grew up in the 60s/70s/80s/90s was super happy all the time, but rather that the limelight is shone much more on kids nowadays due to people/society paying more attention to depression/mental illness and even things like autism (or similar) and how to help kids to be happy rather than just 'more kids are sad now and social media is to blame' though I can totally see why it's easy to conclude that social media is the problem - a lot of it isn't a nice place to be a lot of the time, and cyber-bullying among kids is so rife it's unbelievable, but bullies existed before social media anyway, it's just a different way of doing it
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

The thing is there WAS always bullying, kids can be incredibly cruel. I`m sure physical `real world` bullying still occurs though - but you now have the additional burden of cyber-bullying which did not exist before . In addition, whilst you could escape school bullies when you went home, that`s no longer an option, bullying can go on and on and on 24/7, often with tragic results. Then there is the pressure of `success` at school. I went to a single sex, selective grammar school in the late 60s, it was entirely academic, yet I don`t EVER remember feeling pressured as if my whole future life was in the balance. You were being taught stuff because it was right to have a good education for it`s own sake - not to process you to jump hurdles, tick boxes, to come out as a saleable product. In my entire school life, no child committed suicide, self-harmed or needed mental healthb support. My local school, (now a mixed secondary) now has a resident behavioural therapist - that just doesn`t seem right? It has to be in part because of the pressure to succeed. Also, in my day, if you were an ugly t**t you were an ugly t**t and you just accepted it & got on with life best you could. (In reality girls COULD see beyond the surface.) Now, with Instagram, surface is all. Filters, Vlogs, influencers, sexting: kids who are barely formed personalities are under so much pressure to be this, to look that, to wear those trainers, have the latest iphone - It`s amazing any of them survive, I don`t know how they do it. And now there`s climate change, they`re fearful the world could end in their lifetime.... Nope, I know historically each generation has seen the next as a disaster, but I really do think this time it IS different, the pressures on kids today are just really unhealthy and the fact so many have mental health issues would seem to be irrefutable proof?
Just the thoughts of an old fart.
Last edited by stevemarl on Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Just another thought I meant to ask yesterday - does anyone remember `Lifeboat Day`? Like poppy day, you got a little paper lifeboat badge. I`m sure when I was at primary school this was a real thing... have I made it up?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Totally agree about the bullying point Steve, you can’t get away from it and it’s not real life at all but everything about it is so ‘in your face’ you can’t get away from it and depressingly social media is sometimes the only way some younger people know what’s actually going on on the world rather than reading a newspaper or watching the news

I also went to a single sex grammar school for secondary school and they weren’t interested in me when I said I didn’t want to go to uni - I wasn’t worth anything to them because I wasn’t helping contribute towards their Oxbridge acceptance count so it did very much feel like school was all about helping them hit their targets while ticking enough boxes to prove you’re smart enough to get a job at Tesco when you leave :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 pm school was all about helping them hit their targets while ticking enough boxes to prove you’re smart enough to get a job at Tesco when you leave
That, in a sentence, sums up the difference between then and now, it`s tragic, kids are just on a production line to prepare them for work. Education should be so much more. If a teacher is allowed to wander a little outside the syllabus and take the kids with them to an interesting place, it can really develop the subject. That`s how I remember the best teachers. But why bother as long as you can get them into Tesco.
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Post by Mk3 Mags »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:55 pm Just another thought I meant to ask yesterday - does anyone remember `Lifeboat Day`? Like poppy day, you got a little paper lifeboat badge. I`m sure when I was at primary school this was a real thing... have I made it up?
I don't think you've made it up. Now you mention them I'm sure I remember those lifeboats too. Weren't they blue and white with a pin?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mk3 Mags wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 pm Weren't they blue and white with a pin?
Yep, that`s the one! It would have been mid `60s when I was at primary school, so distant I was doubting it was real :D Must have been dropped in the early `70s.
Thanks for that!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Remember when your mother used to cut your fringe
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:40 pm Remember when your mother used to cut your fringe
Yes :lol:
76151fe6779f2086b5bb6b18b071f7c4.png
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:20 pm
Caprifan Rob wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:40 pm Remember when your mother used to cut your fringe

It’s nice you were so gifted Andy :D . If she were to cut mine now, she’d do it from the back 8-)
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Bloody hell, Dave Hill. Going to see him tonight in Hull.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprigear wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:02 pm

What a coincidence :)

Have a good one Martin :cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:26 pm

It’s nice you were so gifted Andy :D . If she were to cut mine now, she’d do it from the back 8-)
:wave: :whistle:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Superb! One of my favourite bands of all time. Was lucky enough to meet Dave Hill and get an autograph/photo a couple of years ago.

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:38 am
Superb! One of my favourite bands of all time. Was lucky enough to meet Dave Hill and get an autograph/photo a couple of years ago.
I put up the pic of Dave Hill, Martin goes to see him and there was something on TV about 1973 christmas songs featuring Slade, all on the same day :)

Who else wishes they wrote Merry Xmas Everybody :guitar:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 am
I did read that it has been recognised now as the most heard song on the planet.
The two writers (Jim Lea and Noddy) reportedly receive £250,000 each from that one song every year (aside from Slade's other hits, including five other numbers ones) Noddy has said it is like winning the lottery, every year.
The song is 46 years old, yet last year it reached number 17 and this year is again in the top 40.
This is it's 96th week in the top 100. Not bad!

Jim Lea wrote most of the song in the shower. The harmonium which can be heard right at the beginning is John Lennon's. Slade's manager, Chas Chandler, ever the penny pincher, saw that Lennon was leaving the studio to go on a break. Slade who were booked in a different studio jumped into Lennon's instead (as he was a big Slade fan he didn't mind), Jim Lea spotted the instrument, thought it would sound good on the song, played it and that was that. Slade instinctively recorded songs in just one or two takes, any more than that and they thought the feel of the song would be lost. Get it down quick and off to the pub was a far better mindset!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 am
andyd wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 am
I did read that it has been recognised now as the most heard song on the planet.
The two writers (Jim Lea and Noddy) reportedly receive £250,000 each from that one song every year (aside from Slade's other hits, including five other numbers ones) Noddy has said it is like winning the lottery, every year.
The song is 46 years old, yet last year it reached number 17 and this year is again in the top 40.
This is it's 96th week in the top 100. Not bad!

Jim Lea wrote most of the song in the shower. The harmonium which can be heard right at the beginning is John Lennon's. Slade's manager, Chas Chandler, ever the penny pincher, saw that Lennon was leaving the studio to go on a break. Slade who were booked in a different studio jumped into Lennon's instead (as he was a big Slade fan he didn't mind), Jim Lea spotted the instrument, thought it would sound good on the song, played it and that was that. Slade instinctively recorded songs in just one or two takes, any more than that and they thought the feel of the song would be lost. Get it down quick and off to the pub was a far better mindset!
Good info Paul!

Def a better generation for music :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy. I can talk about my favourite bands forever.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Gig was packed out, all different age groups. Dave Hill can still put on a performance even though he's 73! I feel really sorry for the kids of today with the utter shite that passes for music. I'm just grateful that we can still get to enjoy the music of our youth.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:27 pm Gig was packed out, all different age groups. Dave Hill can still put on a performance even though he's 73! I feel really sorry for the kids of today with the utter shite that passes for music. I'm just grateful that we can still get to enjoy the music of our youth.

Excellent! :) It is great songs played live and a flamin good night out and that is what matters. Glad you enjoyed it!