Rear brake drum removal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Rear brake drum removal

Post by Owent2005 »

Good afternoon all,

I’m trying to take of the rear drum following the Haines manual. It says to release the ‘drum retaining screw’. I couldn’t find anything fitting the description and didn’t want to force the drum off in case I damaged something. The picture shows my drum.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Owen
Attachments
6C79E7EC-84A6-4CD1-A163-C8FBA82ECE23.jpeg
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Rear brake drum removal

Post by stevemarl »

I think it`s something they used to have (hence the hole in the face of the drum) nbut they stopped fitting. There was never really much point when the hub has studs as they locate it anyway (more useful if you have wheel bolts) Just give it a tap and it should pop off, unless very badly worn so there`s a lip, in which case you may need to get the shoes to retract a bit more. Maybe loosen off the handbrake cable and push levers `backwards` i.e. against tightening direction.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:59 pm I think it`s something they used to have (hence the hole in the face of the drum) nbut they stopped fitting. There was never really much point when the hub has studs as they locate it anyway (more useful if you have wheel bolts) Just give it a tap and it should pop off, unless very badly worn so there`s a lip, in which case you may need to get the shoes to retract a bit more. Maybe loosen off the handbrake cable and push levers `backwards` i.e. against tightening direction.
As per this advice.
Can disconnect the rod from the rear which will give more 'give'.
Then go round the outside face of the drum with a rubber mallet.
Then use two big screwdrivers on opposite sides and lever it off. Mind your face/fingers/toes, as it may let go quite quickly.

If it is this tight to remove then you definitely need to go through the whole strip, clean, reset, as discussed in your other post.

Oh, and you may find the red paint hasn't helped. It may be causing the drum to stick on the hub.
When you get it off, clean the centre bore of the drum with emery cloth and do the same for the hub.
A smear of copper slip on reassembly will make the next time easier too.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Bug wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:53 pm
Then go round the outside face of the drum with a rubber mallet.
Then use two big screwdrivers on opposite sides and lever it off. Mind your face/fingers/toes, as it may let go quite quickly.
Personally, I found these to be the most important part of the job - twat it with the mallet repeatedly, force off by prying from underneath with something
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks for the pointers guys,
I did use a mallet but sparingly as I didn’t want to damage anything, also all of the online advise said not to try and lever it off, is the back plate stronger than it looks?
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks for the pointers guys,
I did use a mallet but sparingly as I didn’t want to damage anything, also all of the online advise said not to try and lever it off, is the back plate stronger than it looks?
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Do check that yours doesnt have the screw in place holding the drum on. You do find the occasional owner who gets the idea into their head to fit one if there is a hole in the drum for it

Otherwise; rotate the drum, pull on one side of the drum, rotate the drum a bit more, pull on the other side, rotate the drum a bit more, pull on both sides together. Start again.

Get someone else to tap the drum with the rubber mallet when you are doing this. If the drum turns ok and you have followed the advice about disconnecting the handbrake linkage then it should come off quite easily now.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Owent2005 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:22 pm I did use a mallet but sparingly as I didn’t want to damage anything, also all of the online advise said not to try and lever it off, is the back plate stronger than it looks?
It is strong enough for this purpose, yes. You could try using a drift and tapping the drum outwards (i.e. from the diff direction) working your way around the circumference. Then try levering from one side then the other. Repeat.
t may be a very slow process but that`s how it`s done. (If Martin [bug] says to use screwdrivers then rest assured it will be Ok)
Bug

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 pm
Owent2005 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:22 pm I did use a mallet but sparingly as I didn’t want to damage anything, also all of the online advise said not to try and lever it off, is the back plate stronger than it looks?
It is strong enough for this purpose, yes. You could try using a drift and tapping the drum outwards (i.e. from the diff direction) working your way around the circumference. Then try levering from one side then the other. Repeat.
t may be a very slow process but that`s how it`s done. (If Martin [bug] says to use screwdrivers then rest assured it will be Ok)
To clarify (before the lawsuit :)), the reason they say not to is that you can pull the shoes forward this way. Potentially this could put strain on the retaining pins, springs and locking collars that hold them in place.
When you get it forward a little way, take a look at the shoe material that you have slightly uncovered. If it is worn away or contaminated with oil, then you're going to be replacing the shoes. You can then use one screwdriver to lever the shoe back, whilst holding the drum forward with the other screwdriver.
If the shoes look good, you don't want to damage them. So in this case you need to lever the drum forward whilst checking the shoes. If they start to move forward with the drum, then it's a fiddly case of wriggling everything a bit at a time until the drum moves without taking the shoe with it.
If you do it gently then the retaining pin and collar should hold the shoe in place OK without damage. It's only excessive force that could damage the pins etc.
After and hour or two of faffing about, you'll be sure to clean everything properly and use copperslip on reassembly I can assure you! :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I suppose I was assuming that the drums had not moved at all in which case the only option is carefully applied force, and common sense. Oh, and it might be worth a bit of penetrating oil around the studs and centre axle casting, whatever you`d call it - the round thing that sticks through?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I used to use a Oxy acetylene torch to heat the area around the centre hole a bit ,rust or not the drum was easily removed. Most of the fords I have owned had 2 threaded holes ( 1/4 unc ) in the drum, by screwing a suitable bolt , the end of which bears against the axle flange the drum can be "pushed" off. By properly backing off the shoes the drum is not hard to remove , remembering when the car was built the new drum was originally fitted over new shoes, and even with a bit of wear in the drum there should be nothing preventing easy removal , heck sometimes with the shoes properly backed off, running a bit of heat round the centre hole the drum would just pop off, and if it didn't pushing it off with the 1/4" bolts got it off , :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug

Post by Bug »

With all the good advice being given, we could have gathered around the thing and TALKED it off by now! :xd:
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks for all the pointers,
I reckon now that I’m 99% sure there’s nothing holding it on (the drum does spin with the handbrake off) I’m gonna try knocking it off with hammer and drift, I’ll let you know how I get on!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

and how did that go ?
Bug

Post by Bug »

Yeah, we need to know the result, after you drummed up all that support :D
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

To be fair, if the weather where he is has been as foul as it has up here, I can`t blame him if he`s been put off struggling with a seized brake drum! I`m sure he WILL get back.
Bug

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:36 pm To be fair, if the weather where he is has been as foul as it has up here, I can`t blame him if he`s been put off struggling with a seized brake drum! I`m sure he WILL get back.
Ha, you modern Capri owners are getting a bit soft. :poke:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Martin,
you`re the first person to ever accuse me of being modern!!! :lol: `
Bug

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:29 pm Martin,
you`re the first person to ever accuse me of being modern!!! :lol: `

:xd: :xd:
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Ok here’s the update, because I’m doing it on an axel stand I can’t get much umph behind the hammer, ive also tried a puller but it was a bit crap, both results were negative with the drum not budging, the weather has been shocking so I’ve been focusing on the electrics so that at least I’m not sat in a puddle. I’m gonna look at the brakes when I get it on a ramp but I think a bit of brute force will be the key.