Clutch cable

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Clutch cable

Post by stevemarl »

Just thought it worth pointing out that the clutch cable , where it locates onto the pedal, is often forgotten but will benefit from a drop of oil every decade or so. Otherwise this can happen, with no warning, and could potentially leave you stranded. (Fiat cable, but same principle applies):
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Clutch cable

Post by 340truck »

Wouldn't leave you stranded, the car can be driven without the clutch .
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Yes, I know, and I drove it home - I just thought people might prefer to avoid being in that situation in the first place that`s all. You`re quite right though it`s really no problem.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

340truck wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm Wouldn't leave you stranded, the car can be driven without the clutch .
Ah yes , us brilliant men could but what about the Mrs ......spose that's why there is a magnet in the bottom of the gearbox :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 pm spose that's why there is a magnet in the bottom of the gearbox
:lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Top tip Steve, thanks.
stevemarl wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 pm Yes, I know, and I drove it home - I just thought people might prefer to avoid being in that situation in the first place that`s all. You`re quite right though it`s really no problem.
It's easy enough when the car is on the move, but it's a bit of a pain if you are in stop-start traffic.

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 pm
340truck wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm Wouldn't leave you stranded, the car can be driven without the clutch .
Ah yes , us brilliant men could but what about the Mrs ......spose that's why there is a magnet in the bottom of the gearbox :)
That's a bit generic!

My wife, who is an automotive purchasing manager, has a product licence from both Lotus and McLaren to allow her to use company cars on business.
Not sure about the McLaren one, but at Lotus she had to take an Evora through the chicane on their track at no less than 120mph, plus do the tail out thing round the concentric circles at greater than 30mph.
I have no doubt she could drive rings around me and would be quick to point out that there are probably just as many male Capri drivers who couldn't handle a clutchless car.
As she is also a somewhat feisty Glaswegian, I will do you the favour of not showing her this post. :D
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve, this is brilliant advice, I for one would never think to lubricate there but I'll definitley keep it in mind to do so or at least keep a check on it to see if it is wearing through as yours had. This is bound to help many others too and prevent us from a potential ton of grief, thank you for taking the time to post it up.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 am As she is also a somewhat feisty Glaswegian, I will do you the favour of not showing her this post. :D
You don't want to get on the wrong side of a Scot, and that goes double for a Glasweigian and extra bonus doubleness for a girl.

Thinking of putting in an appearance at CRaP? I understand if not but would love to put your missus behind the wheel of my Capri.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
Thanks! There`s also the possibility that the cable could snap while you`re sat in a queue with the clutch depressed - dropping the clutch and ramming the car in front.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah ! Just lookin for a bite :P
Mine can drive too ,probly way different to yours bug . She has 9 older brothers and spent early - mid teens driving the drunken bums around in all manner of yank tanks and Oz muscle. When she got her license she bought a Triumph 2.5 pi .......they wouldn't be seen dead in it :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh