Rear wiper

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Rear wiper

Post by Owent2005 »

Hello!

Next on the list of unearthing electric issues is my rear window wiper. The motor has two wires, one I traced to the connection at the boot jack, the other as the picture shows goes to nothing! Does the second wire go to earth or a second connection somewhere else?

Thanks,

Owen
Attachments
01066A9F-6E7D-460B-880F-F758078E805E.jpeg
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Rear wiper

Post by D366Y »

The rear wiper will only work when the boot lid is closed - when you open the boot, on the left hand side there is a small metal disc in the boot itself that connects to a small part of protruding metal (much like the courtesy light on the other side) that is sprung loaded into place.

The metal on the boot needs to be connected to the other part sticking out of the bottom otherwise it wont work. If it still doesn't work when it's closed try sanding both bits to clean them up a bit, and checking the connections to both of these parts

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

That’s great Danny thanks, I hadn’t noticed that at all, any ideas where the second wire goes to though, does it go to the breaker switch you mentioned?

Owen
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

From memory there was an earth that went onto one of the screws holding it in place, and another to the beaker in the boot lid, but without taking my one apart again I can't remember what else it looks like off the top of my head I'm afraid

cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Just thought - do you have the connection on the boot strut? That could be where you other wire should be going to if it's not connected and not working
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Don`t forget, there are 2 power leads to a wiper, one from the `on/off` switch which starts the motion, once moving it`s then powered from the `self park` supply which runs it right through the arc and back to the start (so if it gets back there and the switch is then `off`, it stops in the parked position). IIRC the power through the LH strut is the `self park` power supply, the copper button connector on the tailgate is the `on/off switch` power supply. I`m sure if the strut supply is interrupted you`ll just lose the self park, the motor will run as long as the dash switch is on.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Not sure but I think that if the wire is off the strut they won't move off park. Beats me why they didn't just feed all the wires ( window heater Inc )thru the rubber hose thing at the top of the door . The wiper would still opperate with the hatch open but I can't see why that would be an issue.....heaps of other cars seem ok with it
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

From my experience, if you take the connector off the left strut then the wiper will work but will just stop wherever you switch it off.
Either way, you should have an earth on the body of the motor, a power supply from the 'penny' connector on the left side of the tailgate, and a self park earth attached to the left strut.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks for all the tips, I’ll let you know how I get on when I get chance to look at it next!

Owen
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am From my experience, if you take the connector off the left strut then the wiper will work but will just stop wherever you switch it off.
Yeah, that makes more sense
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh