Fuse box queries

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Fuse box queries

Post by Owent2005 »

Good morning!

Thought I’d go and try and figure out my fuse box this morning and have had mixed results. I’ve worked out that no’s 1 and 2 are permanently live, 5,6 and 7 are live with 2 turns of the key and 3 and 4 are live when the lights are operated.

Here’s what I don’t know (amongst other things),with the car running I pulled out one connector at a time to find out what it operated.

When I pulled out 3 and 4 (which are joined) the drivers side light went out only, all other lights stayed on which totally baffles me!

And I have no idea what connection 6 does (maybe the horn but that doesn’t work at the moment).

If anyone could enlighten me about a bit of electrickery that would be great!

Owen
Attachments
7D61C78F-D2BE-4D74-A65E-F9A13B5CB623.jpeg
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Fuse box queries

Post by D366Y »

This site will be helpful for you - saves you figuring it out and also the diagrams for each fuse enlarge so you can check the wiring

http://www.a400mod.com/Fuses.htm
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

There is some weird stuff going in the Capri wiring ,both tail lights opperate off different fuses :shock: . D336y looks to have provided some good info . Have a look as you will find things you wouldn't reasonably expect to find ....like the tail lights
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I would suggest downloading those wiring diagrams to your PC, don't rely on them being on that website on a permanent basis. Nothing lasts forever....

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:01 pm There is some weird stuff going in the Capri wiring ,both tail lights opperate off different fuses
Doen`t that make sense though, if they were on the same fuse and that blew you`d have no rear lights, whereas if they`re separate you`ll always have at least one?
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Clockwork Orange knows a thing or two about Capri electrics and has produced his own diagrams which are a lot better to read than in the Haynes manual and more accurate too. Start with: http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index ... ngs.21510/
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 pm
Mc Tool wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:01 pm There is some weird stuff going in the Capri wiring ,both tail lights opperate off different fuses
Doen`t that make sense though, if they were on the same fuse and that blew you`d have no rear lights, whereas if they`re separate you`ll always have at least one?
Well ,yeah ,when you say it like that :D , but being a bit cynical when it comes to Henry's best efforts I suspect that is a happy accident rather than a planned safety feature :lol: . To be fair I twigged fairly quickly (once I had bothered to view the wiring diagram ).
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Remember that most of the connections happen underneath the box via a huge multi-plug.

I think, from memory, the black wire to terminal 6 is for the windscreen wash pump.
I had a problem years ago with mine not working, but a simple test with one of those light up screwdrivers showed power getting to the pump.
Turned out to be corrosion on the spade connector at the fuse box. Caused too high a resistance to allow the pump to run, but let enough through to light the test bulb.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Bug wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:43 am Remember that most of the connections happen underneath the box via a huge multi-plug.

I think, from memory, the black wire to terminal 6 is for the windscreen wash pump.
I had a problem years ago with mine not working, but a simple test with one of those light up screwdrivers showed power getting to the pump.
Turned out to be corrosion on the spade connector at the fuse box. Caused too high a resistance to allow the pump to run, but let enough through to light the test bulb.
OK, having read your post regarding your horn issue, I notice that someone says the windscreen wash pump is on fuse one.
If so then I apologise for the confusion. However, your photo of your fuse box doesn't show a connector on fuse one, so that leaves me con(fuse)d.
Maybe check out fuse six and see what happens?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Good point - the connection you have on fuse 7 is attached to fuse 1 on mine?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Post by Owent2005 »

Hi, I should have explained a little better, the picture shows the fuses no 1 on the left, 7 on the right.
7 is the windscreen washers with nothing on 1 or 2. What do people use these for?

Owen
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

None of my cars have all connected - I have the a wire on fuse 1, fuses 3 and 4 and 6 - basically take the wire to fuse 7 off yours, put it on number 1 and would look exactly like my three do
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

For the sake of the cost of new fuses (pennies) I replaced them all a few years ago. Several were the wrong rating and most were very fragile, which caused issues.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

tejb1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 pm For the sake of the cost of new fuses (pennies) I replaced them all a few years ago. Several were the wrong rating and most were very fragile, which caused issues.
A very good idea. If you can also spray a bit of switch cleaner on the fuse box. Corrosion can set in between the brass bits that hold the fuses and the rivets that hold them in place, not visible but a known cause of intermittent faults.