How to remove glass

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Stanspeedautocare
Car(s): Mk3 capri 2.0 lazer

How to remove glass

Post by Stanspeedautocare »

Only me . Can I have some advice on removing front and rear glass . Also the trims around the rear side windows . Do I just drill the 2 rivits and they come off or do I take the inner panels off to reveal more .. also is the windscreen available new . Mk 3 2l laser
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Re: How to remove glass

Post by tejb1 »

I believe that windscreens are still available. I had a chip repaired a couple of years ago and, out of curiosity, the chap looked up the availability on their system. They could get one next day if required in a number of different tints etc. Apparently, even if they ever do run out of stock entirely, the jigs are kept available so that a custom one could be manufactured if required.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Stanspeedautocare wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm Only me . Can I have some advice on removing front and rear glass . Also the trims around the rear side windows . Do I just drill the 2 rivits and they come off or do I take the inner panels off to reveal more .. also is the windscreen available new . Mk 3 2l laser
The front screen is the only glass held in place by a conventional rubber. To remove the screen I would suggest you get the help of an assistant and cut the rubber around the glass to remove it rather than trying to save the rubber. New rubbers are relatively inexpensive and a lot less than a screen.

For the rear side windows you will have to drill out the rivets to remove the screen surrounds and you will have to remove all the internal surrounds as well. The rear windows are bonded into the car and you will have to cut round the edge of the screen both sides to remove it. Special tools are available to do this such as the one in the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Windscre ... Swdzxdw-M7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-7pcs-wind ... Swq3xdEDon

The tailgate glass is also bonded, remove the rubber trims then that can be removed as above, being careful around the wiring contact points for the heated window.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I wouldn't cut the front screen rubber if I were you as the rubbers for the later screen which your Laser will have are no longer available new.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Caprigear wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 am I wouldn't cut the front screen rubber if I were you as the rubbers for the later screen which your Laser will have are no longer available new.
Oh, I didn't know that Martin.
Stanspeedautocare

Thanks everyone.. my front screen has got a big scuff/scratch on it from it looks like having no wiper lol . Can you still buy screens or does anyone have one
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Paul G wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 am
Caprigear wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 am I wouldn't cut the front screen rubber if I were you as the rubbers for the later screen which your Laser will have are no longer available new.
Oh, I didn't know that Martin.
Yes, earlier screens are not a problem but the later screens are slightly smaller hence the different rubber.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

How I have removed the front glass:
Use fingers of both hands to pull down the rubber on the inside at the top of the screen and tuck a bit of the edge under the metal surround. Do not push the rubber very hard when first starting or near corners. Work along very carefully to each side then down both ends so that the screen with the rubber still on it is outside the metal then lift it all off the car. Obviously two people on the glass and helpful to have a third bod.
To refit:
Enough very strong thin nylon cord to go more than round the screen. Starting at the top/middle sit the cord inside the outer groove then down each side and cross it at the bottom/middle. Engage that groove on the bottom of the metal frame & firms but slowly pull the rubber lip out & over the frame.
Stanspeedautocare

Perfect thanks
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

nigecapri wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:36 pm How I have removed the front glass:
Use fingers of both hands to pull down the rubber on the inside at the top of the screen and tuck a bit of the edge under the metal surround. Do not push the rubber very hard when first starting or near corners. Work along very carefully to each side then down both ends so that the screen with the rubber still on it is outside the metal then lift it all off the car. Obviously two people on the glass and helpful to have a third bod.
To refit:
Enough very strong thin nylon cord to go more than round the screen. Starting at the top/middle sit the cord inside the outer groove then down each side and cross it at the bottom/middle. Engage that groove on the bottom of the metal frame & firms but slowly pull the rubber lip out & over the frame.
Concise and helpful: isn`t there anywhere specifically to make such info `sticky` so people don`t need to search too hard in future?