The pleasure of motoring..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

The pleasure of motoring..

Post by Major_Tom »

..kind of harder to feel these days isnt it. Apart from the consideration and intelligence level issues, the cars themselves are problematic too. I am helping a mate move house and yesterday had to pull over twice on a country road because of headlights of vehicles behind me being far too bright to safely continue.. even with the rear view mirror clicked up (or down) to anti glare position. I felt like a suspect in an american cop show where they shine a spot light into their car to distract / dazzle the occupants. Its like everyone is trying to out do each other in car height and light brighness and its getting silly!

Wasnt in the Capri.. cant say Ive ever noicted it in that.. perhaps because its slightly tinted? Ir maybe the fumes keep them back a bit

And who ever gave people the freedom to control the pitch of their headlights from the cab made a mistake there didnt they.. of course everyone just yams it up to as high as it will go.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: The pleasure of motoring..

Post by D366Y »

I feel the same way about these country roads - where I live the only way to get there is through hordes of narrow country roads and I'm permanently being blinded by people who have stupidly bright xenon lights and who drive in the middle of the road as they have no idea about the size of their own car
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I don't think MOT testers check headlight aim as carefully as they should. I'm finding that as I get older I less like driving at night.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 pm I don't think MOT testers check headlight aim as carefully as they should. I'm finding that as I get older I less like driving at night.
I was thinking the same thing the other day while I was being blinded by someone - I don't think anyone has ever checked my headlight aim, just that the lights come on
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Most likely cars less than three years old that haven't had an MOT yet.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Headlights are a real problem these days. We have so many horrible SUV's on the roads now because they are so trendy, with their increased heights meaning the headlights are shining right in the face of normal car drivers. Then we have the far too bright (front and rear) LED lights of modern cars. And also we have the daylight always on lights.

The days of dip-don't-dazzle seem to have been replaced with have everything as bright as you can and it doesn't matter about anyone else.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I see lots of dozy motorists going around at night with no lights on except the permanent on front sidelights - nothing on the rear. Is it because they assume the car will do it all for them?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

tejb1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:41 am I see lots of dozy motorists going around at night with no lights on except the permanent on front sidelights - nothing on the rear. Is it because they assume the car will do it all for them?
These are the morons that drive in fog and rain with DRL (Daytime running lights) only :doh: Do we not need to see the rear of their vehicle?

Imo, DRL should banned and go back to switching on side/headlights in poor visibility as we did for decades. Common sense really!!