Diff Oil change

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Diff Oil change

Post by D366Y »

Afternoon all,

Apologies if this is a bit of a dunce questions but the Haynes book of uselessness is pretty thin on how to do this...
I have the later diff/axle as it's for my laser so think its an Atlas (??) I know that there are the bolts on the back of the casing to take it off, change the gasket and bolt it back on again, the only thing I don't know is how to fill it up with oil again afterwards....?

Apologies if I'm being a moron!

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Diff Oil change

Post by stevemarl »

Not at all, there`s a filler plug on the passenger side of the differential casing, you can see it just behind the exhaust pipe, it`s either a 10 or 11mm square drive but if it`s not too chewed up a 3/8" ratchet will fit:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm Not at all, there`s a filler plug on the passenger side of the differential casing, you can see it just behind the exhaust pipe, it`s either a 10 or 11mm square drive but if it`s not too chewed up a 3/8" ratchet will fit:
That's absolutely perfect thanks Steve for the piccie, that's great :cool:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Two exhaust clamps is a bit extravagant! :)

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yes , very cunning ,2 shiney new clamps nicely draws your eyes away from the painted over rusty pipe :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 pm Yes , very cunning ,2 shiney new clamps nicely draws your eyes away from the painted over rusty pipe :lol:
I like your new signature message, but who looks? :? :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:09 pm Two exhaust clamps is a bit extravagant!
Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 pm Yes , very cunning ,2 shiney new clamps nicely draws your eyes away from the painted over rusty pipe
Yes, indeed, it`s a very old pic with an untidy old exhaust and tbh I`m thoroughly ashamed to have posted it - but it was the only one in the `archive` which showed the filler plug. Don`t worry though, it was replaced 10 years ago with this, featuring a single Jubilee super- clamp (or whatever they`re called) Like a Mikalor but more solid.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 pm but who looks
Anyone who`s ever had ulcerative colitis? ;)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 pm Image
That's more like what we expect from you!
I hope you weren't genuinely "thoroughly ashamed" to have posted the original photo. It perfectly indicated the position of the oil filler plug for Danny, and also gave us a sneak glimpse of the underside of your wonderful Laser. :D

Andrew.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm Not at all, there`s a filler plug on the passenger side of the differential casing, you can see it just behind the exhaust pipe, it`s either a 10 or 11mm square drive but if it`s not too chewed up a 3/8" ratchet will fit:
And do please make sure you can undo the filler plug before you remove the rear cover and drain all the oil out. If the 3/8" ratchet doesn't work (it did on mine) then a set of Stillsons or decent mole grips will do the trick. Once out I believe it share the same thread with plumbing fittings so can be replaced with one with a square protruding head for future changes.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:01 pm

And do please make sure you can undo the filler plug before you remove the rear cover and drain all the oil out. If the 3/8" ratchet doesn't work (it did on mine) then a set of Stillsons or decent mole grips will do the trick. Once out I believe it share the same thread with plumbing fittings so can be replaced with one with a square protruding head for future changes.
I wish I'd read this before I went and took the rear cover off this morning then.... :shock:
Was such a bitch of a job just getting it off to be honest! How puts an anti-roll bar directly in front of the bolt head so I can't get anything on it?? What a stupid idea - although apparently less stupid than me not coming back here first! :lol:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Mc Tool wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 pm Yes , very cunning ,2 shiney new clamps nicely draws your eyes away from the painted over rusty pipe :lol:

Andrew.
And the grammar is all wrong!
Should be written in the turd person singular :D
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Andrew.
Whoever you think may take an interest.....you can pretty much rule out wives and mother's , no sense of humour there, best plan is to simply leave it to be "discovered" , and the women's toilet is the best bang for your buck :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm Was such a bitch of a job just getting it off to be honest!
Not much use to you now Danny I know, but I guess you could have used one of those fluid hand extraction pumps (which many use for the gearbox oil) and sucked the oil out from the filler hole, then just put fresh in although I think you wished to change the gasket anyway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the replies guys - I wanted to take the diff cover off as it looked like the gasket had failed as there was a small pool of oil on the bottom of the diff, and while the cover was off I thought I might as well give it a dollop of paint to keep it from rusting

Anyways, out there last night, covered cover in sealant, gasket on, more sealant, everything back in place, greased up the bolts, put them back in, torqued up, got myself a little pump thing to put the oil back in as well which worked a treat - I was well chuffed!

After letting it warm up and a quick run through the gears to make sure it didn't piss everywhere I treated myself by going for a spin to tesco to pick up a well deserved refreshment :beer: and thought I should check quickly and make sure it was all still OK....

Two, maybe three miniscule pin-holes starting right in the middle of the cover just off centre. :doh:

Pleased I did it all, pissed off I now need to do the whole thing again because it was a bitch of a job and one I'd hoped not to have to repeat too soon :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

That`s a bloody shame! Maybe just rub down the area, de-grease, and slap a bit of chemicall metal on the wound. Will give you 6 months so you can at least do it in the summer? (Halfords do a 2 pack, `Plastic padding Super Steel` which is very strong and sets really quickly.)
I mean, there`s no reason I suppose why you couldn`t effect a permanent repair if they`re just a couple of pin holes, obviously it only rusts from the outside so if you were pretty thorough and gave it plenty of paint, it could last a good while?
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

They normally rot around the mounting for the handbrake rod and the clip for the brake pipe.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Caprigear wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:26 pm They normally rot around the mounting for the handbrake rod and the clip for the brake pipe.
Yeah mine has gone just to the right of these points - will make sure I check next time before I put it all back together!
stevemarl wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:39 pm That`s a bloody shame! Maybe just rub down the area, de-grease, and slap a bit of chemicall metal on the wound. Will give you 6 months so you can at least do it in the summer? (Halfords do a 2 pack, `Plastic padding Super Steel` which is very strong and sets really quickly.)
I mean, there`s no reason I suppose why you couldn`t effect a permanent repair if they`re just a couple of pin holes, obviously it only rusts from the outside so if you were pretty thorough and gave it plenty of paint, it could last a good while?
I have been trying to think of ways to 'bodge' it over the winter and I'm sure I'll come up with something so I don't have to do it all in the dark again like I did on Thursday :lol:
Doing these things outside on the drive in in the dark and cold does make it infinitely harder than it needs to be, and I'll just have to do it all over again come spring - at least then I'll be a seasoned professional :lol:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Use some epoxy resin - as a temporary solution it works perfectly

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest